4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I install my own supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 10:52 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Started to install my SC

Originally posted by JAY25
Yesterday I started installing the other parts to the supercharger, so the first thing I did was to go buy a aluminum pipe and pipe bender and two 4 foot long gates hoses for transmissions and dextron III to refill the powersteering resorvoir. I bent the aluminum pipe and then use the stock clips to secure the hose to the aluminum pipe, I then took off the stock grill slid it in there and removed the two power steering aluminum pipes you will see running next to your coolant, those have to come off. Now to secure the aluminum pipe to the front of the car I just used those thick zip ties. I took some Pics of these if you want them email me today at Rodriguezjf@mfr.usmc.mil. So last night I got a small drill bit and a marker unscrewed the fuse box thats next to the coolant and that has to be pushed back a bit and marked the two little holes with the marker after I drilled the two small holes, then grabbed the two srews and test fitted them and screwed them out and then placed the fuse box and tighten it up.
I then went and installed the FMU, removing those stock hoses was not nice at all. My tip to everyone grab a small head screwdriver dip the it in some clean engine oil then stick it inside the fuel hose you ll will only be able to push it in a little bit. Now with some pliers gently twist back and forth as if you were installing the hose then twist back and forth to remove it and the little bit of oil that just touched the inside of the hose will lubricated to make it a bit easier to come out. Once you removed the hoses now grab a q tip and lub it with some oil therefor the FMU fuel lines slide in, DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY WITH THE OIL JUST A LITTLE BIT. IF YOU NEED SOME PICS EMAIL ME AND CC LATIN250@HOTMAIL.COM , and I will send them to you as soon as I can. I have not connected the electrical part of the FMU because I am still driving the car I have not completed the installation of blower or pulleys that will be last because the car has to be parked, and installation has to be completed by Friday night. I will number everything for you when I run the electrical part of the FMU I will try to take pics so today I will keep on going with the Boost gauge and I have to get a probe kit for the EGT gauge, because tomorrow I still have to drive my car.

Wow Jay. You are trying to install the SC AND drive your car at the same time?! I've just accepted my car will be down for 2 weeks. Wow, good luck. Thanks for the updates. I may be e-mailing you soon for some pics. My status is as follows:

receiced box 1/2 last wed. (K&N crushed in)
Received new K&N and box 2/2 Fri.
Took inventory Sunday (several parts missing)
Called Adam at Stillen Monday, he called me back Tues.
Wed. he called me and said correct parts are on their way.
Wed. night I bought anti-seize, gasket maker, threadlocker, etc.
Today, Thurs., buy oil, coolant, colder plugs.

I will start Fri. night, Sat. morning.
You guys will get updates, I assure you!
Old 01-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Started to install my SC

Keep my number handy...

Originally posted by ptatohed

Wow Jay. You are trying to install the SC AND drive your car at the same time?! I've just accepted my car will be down for 2 weeks. Wow, good luck. Thanks for the updates. I may be e-mailing you soon for some pics. My status is as follows:

Old 01-31-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: Started to install my SC

Good Luck

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 01:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Started to install my SC

Woooooo 2 weeks thats a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am telling you install the FMU (do not hook up the electrical wires) and reroute the power steering lines and push the fuse box back That right there you looking at 3.5 to 6 hours labor just right there. Now once you start messing with the oil lines and remove the belt and pulley your done now you have to finis the job and connect the electricity to the FMU and complete the installation. Keep in Mind the FMU the boost pushes down on top but no boost lets the fuel run normally. So no need to ground your car for that long. I think 2 complete days is more then enough.

Potato you thinking of doing a CAI for your supercharger? I am I have to cut the hole out for that and install the oil cooler as well, aahh I almost forgot the cold spark plugs. For peace of mind get that universal oil cooler I got pics of that too, you can also use a larger oil filter for it, is for a truck , talk about peace of mind (from Mardigras max thanks Matt)
Old 01-31-2002, 07:12 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Started to install my SC

Originally posted by delio
Keep my number handy...

Ha-ha. It's in my Palm baby!
Old 01-31-2002, 07:21 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Started to install my SC

Woooooo 2 weeks thats a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&&&& Oh well, so be it.

I am telling you install the FMU (do not hook up the electrical wires) and reroute the power steering lines and push the fuse box back That right there you looking at 3.5 to 6 hours labor just right there. Now once you start messing with the oil lines and remove the belt and pulley your done now you have to finis the job and connect the electricity to the FMU and complete the installation. Keep in Mind the FMU the boost pushes down on top but no boost lets the fuel run normally. So no need to ground your car for that long. I think 2 complete days is more then enough.

&&&& I'm in no rush. I have a loner car from a good friend. And I would much prefer to go slow and do it 100% right than to mess up. Plus, I only have week nights and weekends (and that's when I don't have homework). 2-3 weeks for a worse case.

Potato you thinking of doing a CAI for your supercharger?

&&&& Yeah, it's called remove the right headlight! LOL, just kidding. Yeah, I actually have. For what it's worth, I even contacted Dallas at Warpspeed about making one. He said he'd consider it if there was interest. So send him an e-mail guys!
warpspeedperformance@direcpc.com

I am I have to cut the hole out for that and install the oil cooler as well,

&&&& You're going 'home-made', huh? Where are you getting your instructions?

aahh I almost forgot the cold spark plugs.

&&&& I went to the dealer today and they wanted $16 ea!!!!!! I think Courtesy told me $8.88. I'll go with them. What are you gapping yours?

For peace of mind get that universal oil cooler I got pics of that too, you can also use a larger oil filter for it, is for a truck , talk about peace of mind (from Mardigras max thanks Matt)

&&&& I'm sorry, explain this oil cooler to me please...
Old 02-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I wrote this last night but the .org wasn't working. Luckily I was able to save it:

Well, today (Sat.) was day one of SC install. And hey, it's only 5 am! Sheesh, I am sooo exhausted. But I just wanted to give you guys
an update as well as ask a few questions. Well, it wasn't thaaat
bad I guess. Time consuming but not overly dificult. Some mental
challenges and some physical challenges but nothing that couldn't
be dealt with. We are on step 20/21 out of 46.

Step 1, disconnect battery. Did you guys know he weighed 33 lbs?!

Step 3, disconnect air fiter box. No prob, just did all this recently
when I cleaned my throttle body.

Step 4, drain oil and replace filter. Let me embarrass myself here and say this is the first time I have ever changed my own oil.

Step 5, oil feed "T". Easy enough except I disagree with it being able to point directly at the right tire, it had to point down some.

Step 8!!!!!! "On some 1999 models remove the anti-theft horn..." Yeah, well, Stillen, let me tell you, my 1996 had one!

Step 13, relocate fuse box. Well, I have this thing were I have a hard time doing permanent damage. So where it said to chop of the foot of the fuse box, I didn't. Doesn't seem to be a problem. It squeezed in o.k.

Step 14, re-route power steering hoses. O.k., question for you guys. I didn't realize but I never got the 8' of 3/8" I.D. hose for this step. All I did was remove some of the tie-downs, bent, tweeked, contorted, and mushed the lines the best I could and they end up being right under the charger later one. Will I be o.k.? Should I definately do it the way Stillen says? They don't even mention how to drain the power steering fluid anyway! And they fail to mention that it will need to be bleed if you do that. It would save me a lot of time to not. What do you guys say?

Step 17, "Slip on rubber drain back hose..." Did you guys notice there is a little metal pipe cleaner looking thing stuck in the hose?! I'm assuming it's meant to be there...

Step 19, loosen the alternator. $#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+ Stillen!!! MUCH
easier said than done. Damn, that took 30+ minutes alone. That fricken bolt in the back of the alternator. My hands are so cut up right now.

Step 20, the fun part, install the suprcharger to the engine timing
case. Angain, much easier said than done. Sooo many things Stillen
doesn't talk about. That metal hose that runs across the top needed
to be completely bent out of the way, the screw/knuckle part of a
hoseclamp was in the way at the bottom and needed to be rotated,
some 90^ plate that holds the Cam Timing Sensor was in the way, etc.

Step 21, fit oil drain back hose to the nipple under SC. Oh, sure
Stillen, I must be Plastic Man. We had to do this FIRST, then put in
the charger. Question though. The hose fits snuggly over the brass
upward outlet snuggly but fits totally loose on the supercharger nipple. Is this o.k.? Just tighten the hose clamp tight and I'm o.k.?

Well, I thought there was more I wanted to tell you guys but I am so
fricken tired. Thanks for listening.

-Josh
Old 02-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Licensed to Spell

Answer to the power steering line(s) question, please?
Old 02-04-2002, 08:37 PM

Re: :o)

look directly never mind I got pics check them out right in front of your radiator disconnect the hoses from there and expect a bit of a mess and or put a oil pan and out comes the oil Ill email you some pics as we speak sorry
Old 02-05-2002, 02:49 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

look directly never mind I got pics check them out right in front of your radiator disconnect the hoses from there and expect a bit of a mess and or put a oil pan and out comes the oil Ill email you some pics as we speak sorry

No, my question was: since I didn't get the hose (3/8" I.D.) from Stillen and I didn't want production to cease this weekend, I simply unhooked the aluminum/rubber lines/hoses from the body, moved them and sqwuished them a little, etc. and installed the charger right on top of them. I never re-routed them, drained the system, refilled, bleed, etc. Am I cool or should I have re-routed? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Bro...if you could I would seriously suggest re-routing the lines. adding the power steering cooler shoulda come with your kit... you will be amazed at how much hotter it gets under the hood with the SC.

No, my question was: since I didn't get the hose (3/8" I.D.) from Stillen and I didn't want production to cease this weekend, I simply unhooked the aluminum/rubber lines/hoses from the body, moved them and sqwuished them a little, etc. and installed the charger right on top of them. I never re-routed them, drained the system, refilled, bleed, etc. Am I cool or should I have re-routed? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by delio
Bro...if you could I would seriously suggest re-routing the lines. adding the power steering cooler shoulda come with your kit... you will be amazed at how much hotter it gets under the hood with the SC.

No, only the '99s get the PS cooler from Stillen. And the charger isn't touching the lines, it is above it. Do you still think I should re-route?

P.s. Can you guys please answer my oil drain back hose question(s)?
One, what was that 'pipe cleaner' within? Two, is it o.k. that it is very lose over the SC brass nipple? Even with the hose clamp is on, the hose clamp still can spin.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:06 AM

Wow. Your making alot of progress on this one. Glad to see that onceit is all said and done you were able to do it yourself. Might be very inspiring to others out there who might not have considered it before. Keep up the good work and writeups.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Licensed to Spell

=o)

Originally posted by SuDZ
Wow. Your making alot of progress on this one. Glad to see that onceit is all said and done you were able to do it yourself. Might be very inspiring to others out there who might not have considered it before. Keep up the good work and writeups.

SuDZ

Thanks Sudz. It's my pleasure. It's actually very fun! Yeah, I'm glad too once it's all over, I can say I did it myself. I'll tell you, aside from the nice people who have answered this thread, it seems like EVERYONE is telling me I can't do it myself. Adam at Stillen, as cool as he is, while answering my questions, repeatedly interjects "You know, we don't recommend you doing this yourself". He had to contact one of the techs to answer a question for me and the tech immediately responded "This guy's not doing it himself, is he?!". My local shop said don't do it, friends have said "you are nuts", family, even friends of friends, lol. I am looking forward to proving them all wrong! As for your comment about me inspiring others, that is one of my main goals. I'm pleased you think so. I am making corrections to EVERY step in the Stillen instructions, filling in the blanks, making additions, deletions, etc. I am re-writing them as I go. I am taking pics, I am adding to the 'Tools Needed' list, I am crossreferencing the Chiltons/Haynes/FSM, etc., etc. My indended end product is litterally "SuperCharger Install For Dummies".

Thanks again everyone (Jay, Del, Cuma).

P.s. Sudz, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the word 'alot'. There is NO such word. A LOT man, a lot. Sorry, I am on a one man crusade to rid the .org of 'alot'.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

No, only the '99s get the PS cooler from Stillen. And the charger isn't touching the lines, it is above it. Do you still think I should re-route?

P.s. Can you guys please answer my oil drain back hose question(s)?
One, what was that 'pipe cleaner' within? Two, is it o.k. that it is very lose over the SC brass nipple? Even with the hose clamp is on, the hose clamp still can spin.
Hey man... I dunno about your setup... but I got the PS cooler from Stillen...granted I did buy the kit used. And had to go to Stillen with a wishlist of parts. But I did get one. If it seems to be working OK for you, then let it be. Half the fun of installing the SC is rigging up whatever Stillen screwed up. You my friend will learn that when this process is all over. I am STILL tweaking my SC kit, experimenting with things etc...

I don't know what you mean with the pipe cleaner thing. But it should NOT be loose over the SC nipple. Oil flows through there. Therefore if it is loose there is a definite problem. If it is secure enough that it won't come off and you think it won't leak I would leave it. Otherwise get to rigging. I currently have an oil leak from the underside of the SC, in the exact spot you are describing. My SC plate will be coming off this weekend to address that issue. So as you can see that hose is mucho importante. I have dealt with this cheezy oil leak for months...but it is always a worry. So this weekend. I will eliminate that worry.

Del
Old 02-05-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: =o)

P.s. Sudz, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the word 'alot'. There is NO such word. A LOT man, a lot. Sorry, I am on a one man crusade to rid the .org of 'alot'.
You and one of my old English teachers must be satartign an alliance. She used to tell me the same thing whenever I wrote it. Which by the way was a lot.

SuDZ
Old 02-06-2002, 06:03 AM
Licensed to Spell

Tired

Oh man. It is after 6 am and I am just finishing for the night! My hands and arms are scraped, my hands and fingernails are black, and I am exhausted!!!! We are doing pretty well. If you add up the hours, we have spent 30 hours so far. As of tonight, we are done with the first 34 steps (out of 46). Gosh, I swear 40% of the time is spent just trying to work in tight corners. That fricken idler pulley!!!!! Oh my good golly that took forever. Now I know what you meant Jay!!!

I'm predicting another 20 hours so hopefully by the end of Sunday. I'll keep you guys updated.

I am soo angry with Stillen. So many things they left out and/or had wrong. Very frustrating.

Well, I am bushed and I have work and school tomorrow. Time to get my 1.5 hours of sleep. Talk to you guys later.

P.s. Where is the Ambient Air sensor (A.A. sensor)? Ex. step number 31. Can someone explain step 31 please. Thanks a million.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:07 AM

Wow as early as Sunday huh? Not bad. So the fun may start monday huh? Now ya see ya, the nall of a sudden your gone.

SuDZ
Old 02-06-2002, 08:12 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Almost there.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Licensed to Spell

Getting Excited! :o)

Hey guys. O.k., here's the update as of yesterday, Friday night. I usually give you guys the update immediately after I'm done working, no matter what time it is, before I go to bed but it was a looooong week so I just had to go to bed. There have been no updates since the last one because of school. Don't these teachers understand I'm in the middle of an SC install damn it?! We started around 9pm and ended at 4am. So add another 7 hours to the clock. That's a total of 37 so far. 37 in less than one week. That's like another full time job! We were just done with step 34 I beleive last time with the skipping of 31. We have now done 31, and are on 43, with the skipping of 38 and 39. I projected being done late Sunday but that may be pushed back to early next week as I had a lot of homework durring the past week week and I even have a project due Monday. That's probably o.k., my one step colder plugs still haven't shown up yet from Courtesy. (Courtesy wanted $8.88 a plug, my local dealer wanted $16!!!!). O.k. breakdown:

31 - Once Delio and Jay (Thanks a TRILLION for the phone support guys!) pointed out to idiot-me where the ambient temperature sensor is located, I was able to finish step 31. Install A.A. sensor, fit90^ tube to throttle body, Install "T" adaptor, install Master Air Sensor, M.A.S.

Oh boy, this was a doosey. They say you either have a push-in or a bolt-on A.A. Sensor. I have a bolt-on. They then say if you have a bolt on, you need an adaptor. If I use that huge adaptor provided, my Sensor ends up in the daptor, not in the flow of air AND the 12 mm bolts they tell me to use aren't long enough!!! Can you guys help me out here?

Secondly. When installing the "T" adaptor they clearly say to mount it straight to the nipple on the 90^. Well, that isn't possible. An equal diameter metal pipe to pipe isn't going to work. So, using common sense and looking at their own photo of a finished job, I simply put the "T" in line in the air by-pass hose. Man Stillen is p.ing me off.

35 - Fit long pressure pipe to SC and M.A.S. Not too bad. It kind of hurt to grind my cooling fan for clearance, I hate doing permenant damage but oh well, I'll live.

37 - Install Bosch bypass valve. It wasn't that bad. It seems weird that it is all kinked and bent though. And it pushes the air filter at an angle. Is this normal?

38 - Install vacuum lines. Well, I had to skip this step thanks to Stillen!!! On the inventory list, it clearly stated that I need 72" of hose and I had 48". I called Stillen and told them but they assured me that the contents list needs updating but the install instructions are up to date and I will only need 48". Well, then in the instructions, they tell you to cut 1.5", 28", 19", and 24". That adds up to 72.5 with my calculator!!! Thanks Stillen. No I have to wait until Monday and hopefully see the part Tues./Wed.

40 - Cut windsheild bottle filler neck. Like I said, I hate permenant damage so I didn't. Not sure why I was even supposed to. ?

41 - Install air filter. Once again, incorrect instructions. They provide you with a brass insert pipe but don't tell you to even use it in the instructions. If you don't use it, your connection won't be tight enough. Gosh, I can't wait to re-write these instructions.

42 - Connect crankcase vent hose to filter.

So now we just have step 38, vacuum lines and step 39 fuel pump electrical connection to do. Steps 43-46 are just refill fluids and double check things. The end is in sight!!!!!!!!!

Questions:
Please answer the one above about the Ambient Air Sensor.

Do I now need to add more oil? I beleive stock is 4.25 qts, correct? Do I need to add more due to the Vortech?

Is there any kind of break-in period required for the SC? Like when you get a new car, they say drive under xx mph for the first xxx miles?

If I am done but my one-step colder plugs haven't arrived, can I still drive it or should I wait?

Lastly, where would a blow-off valve go and what does it do exactly? Should I definately get one?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for listening. And thanks again for all the support.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Bov relieves the pressure when you decelerate. If you don't, the pressurized air will try to escape, going backwards through the blower... bad news. Stillen doesn't provide a bov? Most aftermarket ones are the same just noisy, a big sign that says "I'm blown".

Just my $0.02
Old 02-10-2002, 05:54 AM

Egine oil, Josh I was told to do a oil change prior to cranking that car up, I was told just that so I did it anyways I was 700 over 3000 but since I was using synthetic I am good.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:16 AM

Re: Getting Excited!

good luck, you are almost there.

Questions:
Do I now need to add more oil? I beleive stock is 4.25 qts, correct? Do I need to add more due to the Vortech?
4 1/4 is fine

Is there any kind of break-in period required for the SC? Like when you get a new car, they say drive under xx mph for the first xxx miles?
no break-in period. if you are confident that everything is installed correctly, let her rip.

If I am done but my one-step colder plugs haven't arrived, can I still drive it or should I wait?
stock boost ? it should be no prob to drive

Lastly, where would a blow-off valve go and what does it do exactly? Should I definately get one?
definitely get one. check out the photos of other s/c'd cars to get an idea of it's placement
Old 02-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Licensed to Spell

Egine oil, Josh I was told to do a oil change prior to cranking that car up, I was told just that so I did it anyways I was 700 over 3000 but since I was using synthetic I am good.

Jaime, I'm sorry, I'm not following you. What are you talking about man?
Old 02-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Getting Excited!

Originally posted by s1rch
good luck, you are almost there.

4 1/4 is fine

no break-in period. if you are confident that everything is installed correctly, let her rip.

stock boost ? it should be no prob to drive

definitely get one. check out the photos of other s/c'd cars to get an idea of it's placement

Thanks s1, I really apprec. You guys have been so much help, I really appreciate it.

So what exactly does a blow-off valve do as far as performance? Are there performance gains or is it just to save wear and tear on the SC. To quote Stillen's own catalogue it "improved driveability" whatever the heck that means. ? Thanks again.

P.s. Can someone please help with the Ambient Air Sensor? The provided adaptor is too deep (the stock sensor ends up within the adaptor - not in the path of air!) and the provided screws are not long enough. What am I missing here?
Old 02-11-2002, 01:14 PM

Your getting alot closer. Glad to see that your almost done. Your gonna have a great feeling once you are.

SuDZ
Old 02-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by SuDZ
Your getting alot closer. Glad to see that your almost done. Your gonna have a great feeling once you are.

SuDZ

A LOT!!!! :P

Old 02-12-2002, 05:27 AM
Licensed to Spell

I'm done!!

I am soooo stoked. We finished tonight. Step 38 was a breeze. I just had to break down and go out and buy some vacuum hose. I tried to get Adam at Stillen to overnight me some today so I can have them by Tues. but as usual when I left a message - no return call. That was the only run to the store the whole time actually. Step 39 was pretty difficult. I was a little scared of the electrical part of it but we managed. In step 39 all they ever talk about is the yellow wire, completely ignoring all the other wires. Not even one mention of where to mount the Aux. Fuel Pump Relay. But, from the one diagram and brainstorming, we figured it out. Getting the yellow wire through the firewall was a little hassle. I don't know why they tell you to turn on the car and listen for clicks and use a test lamp and probe to find the Aux. fuel pump relay when they then go and tell you to splice the black/yellow wire! I don't even know what the heck a test lamp and probe is - but I do know what a yellow and black wire is! ????? We looked at the ambient air sensor one last time and it hit us that the 'cylinders' that were in the way are removable. Done. We spent another 8 hours tonight for a grand total of 45 hours. Not bad I guess. Adam told me Stillen takes 10 hours. So for two guys who have never even changed their own oil before this, I guess 4x isn't that bad.

And that's it! That's all she wrote baby!!! I just need to get my G-Force ECU out of there ( a huuuge pain actually) and fill the oil and just do one last run through/double check. I also hope my one-step colder plugs show up tomorrow.

Well, tomorrow (Tues. night) should be the first driving experience so I will definately keep you guys informed.

Thanks for following this thread and thanks for all the help. Especially you Jay for all the phone support and e-mails and photos. I really appreciate that.

Well guys, it is 5:30 am and I have to be to work at 8. Talk to you guys soon.

P.s. I am soooo upset with Stillen's instructions. I am very serious about writing a step-by-step-by-step 'Super Charger install for dummies'. Would you guys definately want me to do this?
Old 02-12-2002, 06:29 AM

Re: I'm done!!

P.s. I am soooo upset with Stillen's instructions. I am very serious about writing a step-by-step-by-step 'Super Charger install for dummies'. Would you guys definately want me to do this?
Definately!
Old 02-12-2002, 07:27 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: I'm done!!

P.s. I am soooo upset with Stillen's instructions.
They suck... period.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Licensed to Spell

Spark Plug Gap?

So what's the recommended spark plug gap w/ the SC? This is what I have gathered from search:

Stock gap = 0.044"

Decrease gap by 0.004" for every 50 HP increase.

Does this sound right and, if yes, what should I gap mine? I was thinking a 0.006" decrease for a 0.038" gap. Opinions?
Old 02-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Licensed to Spell

First drive experience!! :o)

Hey, it's only 1 am!! It's early! Well, I got home around 7 or 8, torqued the drain plug, filled her up with 4.25 qts Mobile 1, swapped out my G-Force ECU for my stock one (that has to be one of the biggest chores!), and then went through the instructions step by step, line by line one last time. Everything looked good. I did what they said and turned the key to 'on' and everything seemed fine. I started 'Mod Max' over and it started right over. I didn't know what to expect for the V2 sound as I had never heard one before. I heard a V1 at Stillen day last year, but not a V2. Well, I don't even know how to state it. At idle, I'd call it a light steady cricket sound. Definately noticable but nothing that distracting. Nothing 'cool' by any means but at least not overly distracting. I double checked for any leaks (oil, vacuum), the belt, etc. and it looked like I was all good to go. The directions say to do a quick lap and come back and check everything once again. I felt so confident with my install, I went for a 45-60 minute cruz. I drove it normally at first. There is absolutely no difference when driven normally. Nothing. You wouldn't even know it's there. Even the crickets go away beleive it or not. It is louder at idle than while driving. (?) Then I went up to the business park and did some straight run *****-out flooring. From a stop, from a roll, etc. Well, I have to admit, the power is definately noticable but I'd say it's probably 65-70% of what I wanted/hoped for. Maybe I am just too picky or expected too much. But don't get me wrong, you feel it and it's fun. The best way to describe it is it pulls proportionally hard to the RPMs. I feel like when I first floor it, nothing. Then as the RPMs build, you are pulled harder and harder to red line and then when it shifts, you kind of start over again. Never really a kick you in the @$$ at any one moment, rather a constant, steady, building pull. Then we cruised around on the highway and side streets. Although not typically my style I tried to innitate a few races. Most people ignored me but a Lexus GS bit. I didn't get if it was a 300 or 400. I won for sure but there was too much traffic to make it fair. Then after a few more strikes, I got a Mustang to bite. We were on. This was open road and pretty fair. I smoked him but it's possible he wasn't floored all the way or perhaps he had the V6 - and it was a curvey road so handling did play a role, not just straight line speed. Anyway, not typically my style as I said before. But fun.

Everything with the install seems 100% fine. The only problem was when I honked my horn tonight, it made the most aweful sound! It appears when I relocated it, I had it touching the wall I mounted it on. I simply bent it by hand and wa-la, problem solved. So, far (fingers crossed), that's it.

I am sooo stoked. I had a great night! I feel really good. Really good that I have an SC in my car, really good that my best friend and I did it all ourselves, really good that I saved the install money, really good that no greese monkeys touched my car and the absolute best is: it feels damn good that I now get to rub it in the face of everyone who told me I couldn't do it myself!

Well, thanks for listening guys. Sorry I rambled on a little here. I just wanted to share my first night. Thanks a million for everything.

-Josh

P.s. I withdraw my statement I made about Adam at Stillen earlier. He has been sick and he called me immediately when he got in this mornming and he is overnighting my stuff. (Vacuum hose, a new drainback hose, etc.) I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

P.s.s. Spark plug gap please?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:54 AM

Happy to know your done!!!!!!

Josh you can do what ever you want, you were just determined to do it. I was determined myself to install
my SC by myself, I did get support from Mardigrasmax and Cumalot since they live here in NO with me.
I myself did the same thing went out for a test drive and it was cold. The whining noise got louder with
the CAI, but who said CAI was suppose to be a quiet mod, is not but it helps all that compressed air
gets pretty hot and the CAI will at least keep that Temp down some. I am glad your done and over with
enjoy and as soon as I get a chance soon I will take the pics for the CAI you can pocket your money and
let you know how to do it and what KN filter to get. Congrats Jaime

Old 02-13-2002, 07:24 AM

YOO DID IT !!

Now Enjoy

SuDZ
Old 02-13-2002, 09:44 AM

Congrats. As far as the power, I told you to go with a smaller pulley.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:09 PM

That's sweeeet

Hey Man,
Congrats and thanks for the updates. I have been running to the .org to see your progress every day. Thanks for taking the time to make other peoples lives easier, future SC installers!

DL
Old 02-13-2002, 03:09 PM

Good job dude! Welcome to the S/C club. Don't worry, when I first installed mine I was a little dissapointed but after you drive it for a while you'll really appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by maximus75
Good job dude! Welcome to the S/C club. Don't worry, when I first installed mine I was a little dissapointed but after you drive it for a while you'll really appreciate it.

Maximus75 WTH IS THAT CIVIC DOING WITH A SEWER PIPE ON HIS CAR? I told my wife is that the type of exhaust you want and she started laughing she said that **** is stup!d. HEHEHE Rocket ship Potatoehead watch for that civic he has a rocket Pack in his trunk
Old 02-13-2002, 05:06 PM

I saw it on beaters.com come and thought you guys might get a kick out of it Thats funny, I was just on you car site Jay.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Cumalot
Congrats. As far as the power, I told you to go with a smaller pulley.
Yeah, you're right. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess. That and custom CAI. Thanks cumalot.

Quick Reply: Can I install my own supercharger?