4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I install my own supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Licensed to Spell

Can I install my own supercharger?

I just wanted to get some opinions. Obviosly I'd prefer to save the $600 - $800 (and have the nice feeling of accomplishment) but on the same token I'd rather pay than screw anything up. How many people have opted to tackle this job themselves? Do you feel it is reasonably doable? I feel I am fairly mechanically inclined and I am very patient. I was hoping my friend and I could do it over a number of days. I have spoken to cumalot, mardigras, and y2kev and they have all been very helpful. If anyone else can throw in some "2 cents", I'd be very grateful. I have printed out and reveiwed the Stillen instructions. They seem decent. Are they enough or will I need suppliment info.? Are there any other websites that have a how-to? Any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Administrator

if delio and matt did their own.. its gotta be easier than changing spark plugs
Old 01-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take your time and you'll be fine
Old 01-10-2002, 11:58 AM
BlkCat

If you do a search you'll find the threads where they tell their experiences in doing the install.

Old 01-10-2002, 12:01 PM

Read this over.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/sc.html

If you feel like you can do it then go ahead. I would recomend having a few friends who can help you come over though.

SuDZ
Old 01-10-2002, 12:02 PM

You can do it yourself... words of advice.... don't plan on having the car up and running within a weekend, it is possible, but probably not on the first shot. Trust me you can do it, just be patient. Get a chilton's manual, make sure you are familiar with the car, and get to work. Make sure you got tools, lots of "supplies" hose clamps and the like. Are you installing new or used kit? If used...v1 or v2? V1 is an easier install without a doubt
Old 01-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by SuDZ
Read this over.

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/sc.html

If you feel like you can do it then go ahead. I would recomend having a few friends who can help you come over though.

SuDZ

Thanks for the link. You are the second person to point me towards this. However, it is only the Stillen instructions scanned in. I already have those. I was hoping for some additional how-tos. Does anyone know of a site with additional install info./tips/hints? Thanks Sudz.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by delio
You can do it yourself... words of advice.... don't plan on having the car up and running within a weekend, it is possible, but probably not on the first shot. Trust me you can do it, just be patient. Get a chilton's manual, make sure you are familiar with the car, and get to work. Make sure you got tools, lots of "supplies" hose clamps and the like. Are you installing new or used kit? If used...v1 or v2? V1 is an easier install without a doubt
Yeah, I plan on taking my time, thanks. Yes, I have the Haynes, Chiltons and Fact. Serv. Man. Yes, I have all the tools (those listed by Stillen anyway). Why extra hose clamps? Are they not supplied? It is new and is a V2. This is news to me, why is V1 easier? Thanks delio.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:36 PM

I remember Emax's hourly updates on the install
Old 01-10-2002, 01:48 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

You will need a good assortment of tools (metric and standard)

Be prepared to go out and buy miscellaneous parts... I bought different hose clamps, bolts, etc... some were missing, one or two didn't fit.

Make sure you get the coolant overflow bracket... their master list was wrong... it is a large part not a little metal piece. I also was missing the powersteering hoses.

I also had problems getting a bushing into one of the pulleys... I used a socket and hammer but you could have it pressed in. I wished they did it for you from Stillen.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2002, 01:50 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Yeah, I plan on taking my time, thanks. Yes, I have the Haynes, Chiltons and Fact. Serv. Man. Yes, I have all the tools (those listed by Stillen anyway). Why extra hose clamps? Are they not supplied? It is new and is a V2. This is news to me, why is V1 easier? Thanks delio.
You will find that Stillens instructions at least on the V1 left ALOT to be desired... I know the V2 instructions are like twice the length so maybe they are better written. The V2 uses a different plate setup that seems to be a little more complex, not to mention the Idler pulley relocation stuff, all in all it is a more complex install. I am sure if you are careful and re-check your work you will be fine. If you need help the ORG is always here, and if you really get stumped I am sure plenty of us would provide phone support. BTW...what kind of delay are you seeing on the kit order from Stillen? Is it still over a month wait? I waited 3 months earlier this year, then gave up and bought used.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:02 PM

Why extra hose clamps? Are they not supplied?
It cant hurt to haev extra suppluies ahead of time. Plus it is one of those thigns that if you need the small stuff takes 25 minutes or more out of your time to stop and go get them, plus you may overlook something if you leave it and come back. I am just making suggestions so that this can go mroe trouble free for you.

SuDZ
Old 01-10-2002, 02:09 PM

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by SuDZ

It cant hurt to haev extra suppluies ahead of time. Plus it is one of those thigns that if you need the small stuff takes 25 minutes or more out of your time to stop and go get them, plus you may overlook something if you leave it and come back. I am just making suggestions so that this can go mroe trouble free for you.

SuDZ
If you only knew the half of it...thank GOD my home depot is open 24 hours...
Old 01-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Licensed to Spell

You will find that Stillens instructions at least on the V1 left ALOT to be desired... I know the V2 instructions are like twice the length so maybe they are better written. The V2 uses a different plate setup that seems to be a little more complex, not to mention the Idler pulley relocation stuff, all in all it is a more complex install. I am sure if you are careful and re-check your work you will be fine. If you need help the ORG is always here, and if you really get stumped I am sure plenty of us would provide phone support. BTW...what kind of delay are you seeing on the kit order from Stillen? Is it still over a month wait? I waited 3 months earlier this year, then gave up and bought used.

Hey Del. Thanks so much for the phone support offer. Ahhhh, shucks. Geez. Makes my eyes water. <"sniff" "sniff", whipe tear down left cheek>

To answer your question: As far as I know, no delay. It left Stillen on its way to Avalon last Friday (Jan 4th) the day I ordered.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:15 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: :o)

If you only knew the half of it...thank GOD my home depot is open 24 hours...
...hell... I had to do at least 6 runs for miscellaneous parts...

Then it took me a week to start the damn thing cuz the CPS harness wasn't completely 'clicked' in...
Old 01-10-2002, 03:27 PM

With the V2 kit, you going to have lots of fun trying to put in the idle pulley. Those who have put in the idle pulley on a V2 kit like me know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:18 PM

I refuse to pay $800 I will do my own supercharger w/ CAI

I am about to put one on myself, as I removed it from Cumalots car I at least labeled the Fuel lines I also took quite a few pics, is not hard to install that sucker from the labor that I did last night at Cumalots house it is only time consuming but I am going to get a head start by replacing the power steering hoses and installing little parts so that should save me at least 4 hours of labor on the day that I really do install the complete thing. The way I am planning it should take me 9 hours. But if you want pics from the fuel lines hit me up on the email Ill spread it is already labeled and that should be one less thing to worry about. As for the power steering that should take me 2 to 3 hours to install those hoses are a pain to pull and push back in.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:55 PM

Re: I refuse to pay $800 I will do my own supercharger w/ CAI

Originally posted by JAY25
those hoses are a pain to pull and push back in.

lol...yeah, Jaime had to fight with them to get them off my car and trying to put it back on wasn't easy either. Just need lot of elbow grease. Today, I tighten the fuel line hose some more, it didn't go all the way down when Jaime did it for me. I took the hose back off and sprayed some WD-40 on the stubborn hose. Even then, it took every bit out of me to fit that sucker in there properly. After that, my right arm was a bit numbed.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:53 AM

Hey Del. Thanks so much for the phone support offer. Ahhhh, shucks. Geez. Makes my eyes water. <"sniff" "sniff", whipe tear down left cheek>

To answer your question: As far as I know, no delay. It left Stillen on its way to Avalon last Friday (Jan 4th) the day I ordered.
I had lots of phone support for my install... I will never deny someone help that needs it. It is a beast of a task to undertake, but in the end, nothing compares to the boost feeling, and nothing compares to the knowledge that you know that beast inside out, and god forbid things go wrong, you are your own best technician. Ask MardiGrasMax and Confused about the power of calling the problem from the back seat, while the two lunks in front think it's something else So anyways, you need help, I will help as much as I can, even though I do not claim to be a V2 expert.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Chunger

...hell... I had to do at least 6 runs for miscellaneous parts...

Then it took me a week to start the damn thing cuz the CPS harness wasn't completely 'clicked' in...
The horror stories of my install... but I am SOOOOOOOOO happy I did it myself... Imagine walking into Home Depot carrying the SC and plate... ahahahahaha. Talk about priceless looks. Guys were like WTF you doing with that thing, SC'ing a Stang? Camaro? the looks when I told them a Maxima... ahahahahaha
Old 01-11-2002, 09:31 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

The horror stories of my install... but I am SOOOOOOOOO happy I did it myself... Imagine walking into Home Depot carrying the SC and plate... ahahahahaha. Talk about priceless looks. Guys were like WTF you doing with that thing, SC'ing a Stang? Camaro? the looks when I told them a Maxima... ahahahahaha
LOL... I didn't go that far at The Home Depot...

Yeah, i don't trust anyone working on my car except perhaps the dealer and my mechanic (who's a friend).

I let my sheriff friend drive my car and he said: "Where's the whine? That's the best reason to get a supercharger". LOL... That was the reason I didn't like the original SC from Stillen... I didn't want the noise. Aside from idle up to about 1.5K, you don't hear it... except when you shift...
Old 01-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks guys again for all the support. I've been tracking the SC and it looks like it left OH this morning so maybe I'll see it Monday (?). I'm pretty excited.

Quick question: Where do I purchase the smaller pulley? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:16 PM

Thanks guys again for all the support. I've been tracking the SC and it looks like it left OH this morning so maybe I'll see it Monday (?). I'm pretty excited.

Quick question: Where do I purchase the smaller pulley? Thanks.
Direct from Vortech... 6 RIB...
Old 01-23-2002, 05:33 PM
Licensed to Spell

Direct from Vortech... 6 RIB...

Alright, thanks Del. Before I do that, I wanted to discuss w/ you guys what size pulley I should get. What do you think? I was probably thinking of playing it safe and going with 3.48". Also, do you have a rough idea what the price is? Lastly, what do you think of keeping the stock pulley for the first year and then changing? That way I don't lose my warranty and it would also be nice to get a dyno/track times on the two pulleys. But, like cumalot pointed out, it is a lot of work to change pulleys so it's best to do it now.

Oh, it showed up today by the way! Box one of two anyway. So stoked.

Thanks guys.

-Josh

P.s. Del, I'm going to PM you right now regarding possible phone support/direct e-mail help. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:55 PM

You can start installing the supercharger by rerouting your powersteering lines I did that Monday it took me like 2 hours to do that part since connecting the rubber hoses was not too nice lets just put it that way. Now this weekend Ill be removing the coolant bottle and connecting the Fuel lines but I am not going to run the electrical wires until the S/C is installed and also scoot back the fuse box because you will need to get some screws to retigten it up. So hopefully I should get like 5 hours ahead by the end of this weekend. , then Ill just be fighting with the pulley the idler pulley the piece that goes by the engine to run the oil line the pulley adjuster and the piece that goes top of the alternator, and then hooking up the electricity to the FMU. Wow seem like I have another 8 hours to go then after this weekend.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:04 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by JAY25
You can start installing the supercharger by rerouting your powersteering lines I did that Monday it took me like 2 hours to do that part since connecting the rubber hoses was not too nice lets just put it that way. Now this weekend Ill be removing the coolant bottle and connecting the Fuel lines but I am not going to run the electrical wires until the S/C is installed and also scoot back the fuse box because you will need to get some screws to retigten it up. So hopefully I should get like 5 hours ahead by the end of this weekend. , then Ill just be fighting with the pulley the idler pulley the piece that goes by the engine to run the oil line the pulley adjuster and the piece that goes top of the alternator, and then hooking up the electricity to the FMU. Wow seem like I have another 8 hours to go then after this weekend.
Thanks Jay, please continue to keep us updated. Good luck.

What size pulley are you going to run?
Old 01-23-2002, 06:19 PM

Thanks Jay, please continue to keep us updated. Good luck.

What size pulley are you going to run?

The one that Mardigrasmax has on his car he took it off already the one that makes 8.5-9 psi um I believe is 3.125 something like that.
Dont be afraid to do alot of this work yourself I now have my brother digital camera but we cant upload pics anymore only link them so I have to find a way to post if not heck I can email them to you etc...
Old 01-23-2002, 08:31 PM

Drop me a line.... No problems here... a new pulley from Vortech will run you about 50 bucks.. Go ahead and drop down to a 3.33 I think you are plenty safe at that level, assuming you got the requisite tranny work done. Make sure you get an 8:1 FMU ReCal disc while your on the phone with Vortech so that your fuel issues are under control. Drop me a line, I will give you my # and we can chat more in depth on this issue.

Later bro,
Del

Alright, thanks Del. Before I do that, I wanted to discuss w/ you guys what size pulley I should get. What do you think? I was probably thinking of playing it safe and going with 3.48". Also, do you have a rough idea what the price is? Lastly, what do you think of keeping the stock pulley for the first year and then changing? That way I don't lose my warranty and it would also be nice to get a dyno/track times on the two pulleys. But, like cumalot pointed out, it is a lot of work to change pulleys so it's best to do it now.

Oh, it showed up today by the way! Box one of two anyway. So stoked.

Thanks guys.

-Josh

P.s. Del, I'm going to PM you right now regarding possible phone support/direct e-mail help. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:39 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Ooooh... smaller pulleys...

You guys are a bad influence
Old 01-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Licensed to Spell

Drop me a line.... No problems here... a new pulley from Vortech will run you about 50 bucks.. Go ahead and drop down to a 3.33 I think you are plenty safe at that level, assuming you got the requisite tranny work done. Make sure you get an 8:1 FMU ReCal disc while your on the phone with Vortech so that your fuel issues are under control. Drop me a line, I will give you my # and we can chat more in depth on this issue.

Later bro,
Del

I sent you an e-mail, did you receive it?

3.33", huh? O.k., thanks. Is that what you have? What do you think of the idea of waiting for one year first?

Uh, ...um, ...what's an 8:1 fmu recal disc?

Thanks so much.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:56 AM

I sent you an e-mail, did you receive it?

3.33", huh? O.k., thanks. Is that what you have? What do you think of the idea of waiting for one year first?

Uh, ...um, ...what's an 8:1 fmu recal disc?

Thanks so much.
I have a 3.125 but I don't have an auto tranny to worry about destroying...heehee... If you want to wait on the pulley upgrade that is all well and good. Do the pulley upgrade when you have to do a belt job... who knows by then you may be able to get a real idler pulley too. FMU disc? You'll see soon enough. Not to worry. If your not doing a pulley upgrade don't sweat it yet.

I haven't checked my mail yet today. I will let you know if I got anything.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You should be fine with the stock 6:1 FMU on a 3.33" pulley.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

As of Friday, everything showed up. When my first package showed on Wed., something must have peirced the box and crushed in the K&N. I e-mailed Paul at Avalon and Adam at Stillen and boom, a new one was on my doorstep the next day. Now, I didn't have a chance to take inventory until last night (Sun.) but I'm glad I finally did. It took me hours! All those parts... Well, for the most part everything comes packaged nicely and well labeled. But, unfortunately, I have a handful of missing parts and I even have extra parts. I called Adam today but he wasn't in. Hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, I will probably get started this week. I have a loaner car lined up, and hopefully some free time until school really heats up.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the support and confidence. Also, an extra special thanks to Delio, cumalot and y2kev.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:25 PM

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the support and confidence. Also, an extra special thanks to Delio, cumalot and y2kev. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am thinking of completing this SC myself 25% of the items are all put togther already so hopefully by wed if it dont rain Ill cont and finish hopefully by Sat afternoon and go on a test run.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:02 PM

no need to worry. when i got my sc, i didn't wait to put in the 3.33 pulley. i ran the 3.33 pulley with the stock fmu disc, no problems at all. you shouldn't need a 8:1 fmu disc unless you are going with a 3.25 or 3.125 pulley.

have you got the vb upgrade yet? how about the tranny cooler? these two items are very important for your auto...that is if you want to keep your tranny in one piece. you will also need one step colder spark plugs too.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:16 PM

u can install it but it is hard............and it will take alot of time!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:43 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by Cumalot
no need to worry. when i got my sc, i didn't wait to put in the 3.33 pulley. i ran the 3.33 pulley with the stock fmu disc, no problems at all.

&&&& Yeah, I thought about this long and hard. I know you said do it now so as to save the labor later but I think I'll stay w/ the stock pulley for a year. That way I keep my warranty, I'll have a chance to Dyno the stock vs. the 3.33, and I'll have something to look forward to!

Is it really a lot of trouble to change later? I'm hoping not that bad. Maybe a Saturday's worth?

you shouldn't need a 8:1 fmu disc unless you are going with a 3.25 or 3.125 pulley.

&&&& O.k., good to know. Yeah, I'll probably go 3.33". So the stock 8:1 is fine, huh? Thanks.

have you got the vb upgrade yet? how about the tranny cooler?

&&&& Cooler in the mail, VB ... uh ... don't kill me ... not yet. I just don't know. I know all you guys rave about it and everyone says it's mandatory for an SC'ed auto but I just don't know. It isn't the money, it's the rough shifts. I am VERY torn between sport and luxury. Thus my reason for buying a Maxi. in the first place - good balance. My reason for H&R/Tokico, my reason for a semi-quiet Dynomax muffler, my reason for a V2 over the loud V1, my reason for passing on a loud Y-pipe. All good compromises between sport/performance and luxury/comfort/quietness. So I think this rough shifting is going to kill me. I like my luxury! How bad is it? I guess I need to ride in one first...

these two items are very important for your auto...that is if you want to keep your tranny in one piece. you will also need one step colder spark plugs too.

&&&& Gotcha! Thanks. Isn't the gap different as well?

Anything else I will need/should know about?

Thanks again.

P.s. Did you guys experience missing parts/extra parts with your kit?

Old 01-29-2002, 04:27 PM

changing the pulley isn't that hard if you have the tools. mardigrasmax changed the pulley out for me, it was a piece of cake for him.

yes, the stock 8:1 is fine for now.

as far as the vb, you're not sure? once you get the sc, luxury is out the door. it's not that bad. the shifts are firmer, but not too extreme. personally, i think it's not good enough. i wish the vb would give me even better response, especially on the downshifts. so, get it, it's not harsh at all. once you experience chirping 2nd gear, you don't want to go back to the stock crap. since you are going with the stock pulley, i think it's ok to go without a vb upgrade for now.

if you get the ngk spark plugs, they should be pregapped.

as far as parts, yeah there were missing or parts that didn't really fit. i don't know what's up with that. we had to improvise. no major parts, mainly little things like screws and such.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:17 AM

Started to install my SC

Yesterday I started installing the other parts to the supercharger, so the first thing I did was to go buy a aluminum pipe and pipe bender and two 4 foot long gates hoses for transmissions and dextron III to refill the powersteering resorvoir. I bent the aluminum pipe and then use the stock clips to secure the hose to the aluminum pipe, I then took off the stock grill slid it in there and removed the two power steering aluminum pipes you will see running next to your coolant, those have to come off. Now to secure the aluminum pipe to the front of the car I just used those thick zip ties. I took some Pics of these if you want them email me today at Rodriguezjf@mfr.usmc.mil. So last night I got a small drill bit and a marker unscrewed the fuse box thats next to the coolant and that has to be pushed back a bit and marked the two little holes with the marker after I drilled the two small holes, then grabbed the two srews and test fitted them and screwed them out and then placed the fuse box and tighten it up.
I then went and installed the FMU, removing those stock hoses was not nice at all. My tip to everyone grab a small head screwdriver dip the it in some clean engine oil then stick it inside the fuel hose you ll will only be able to push it in a little bit. Now with some pliers gently twist back and forth as if you were installing the hose then twist back and forth to remove it and the little bit of oil that just touched the inside of the hose will lubricated to make it a bit easier to come out. Once you removed the hoses now grab a q tip and lub it with some oil therefor the FMU fuel lines slide in, DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY WITH THE OIL JUST A LITTLE BIT. IF YOU NEED SOME PICS EMAIL ME AND CC LATIN250@HOTMAIL.COM , and I will send them to you as soon as I can. I have not connected the electrical part of the FMU because I am still driving the car I have not completed the installation of blower or pulleys that will be last because the car has to be parked, and installation has to be completed by Friday night. I will number everything for you when I run the electrical part of the FMU I will try to take pics so today I will keep on going with the Boost gauge and I have to get a probe kit for the EGT gauge, because tomorrow I still have to drive my car.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:50 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Stock disc is 6:1.

Remember that if you change the pulley size, you void the warranty for the SC.

Good luck on your installs.

Quick Reply: Can I install my own supercharger?