4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Piggyback options

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Piggyback options

I'm soon going to finish my 3.5 swap and I'm looking for the easiest OR cheapest way to tune the air/fuel since the 3.0 ecu will make it run rich "or so i've heard"

https://maxima.org/showthread.php?t=605908

I fount that^ but it looks sketchy to me. I know there's Greddy, Apexi, etc, and I realize that they would all help my situation (obviously), I just want to know what would be BEST for MY situation since I'm uninformed on the topic, and considering i'm N/A with a few bolt-ons. Mainly I'd like to know about this^ which I stumbled upon and found only good reviews (yet very few reviews at all).

Thanks
-Jesse
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM

The thread you linked shows you have to build it yourself; and that thread looks dead...so, idk about that.
I know aackshun is working with a company to get tuned.
Emanage ultimate is awesome, and I have a 4th gen 3.5 w/ a jwt Ecu, so that's good too.

It will run rich without a tune.

You may be able to use gorilla tape on your MAF to retard timing, but you would need a AFR meter iirc.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

I've got the Emanage Ultimate and its fairly simple to use. Plus DandyMax has a great writeup on wiring and getting started on the EMU. As an alternative, I've heard that the AEM F/IC is good and a lot of tuners are familiar with AEM's software.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

AEM FIC is fairly cheap and most tuners know it well or a simple SAFC will do
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM

AEM is in the $400 range though, correct? And safc can be found for more like $150-$200? All I really need is a way to keep my ratios right for mpg and performance reasons. Of course I'll have an aftermarket FPR but that probably can't do much.. I'll have a 3.5 with a 4a/t..... We'll see how long that lasts. So far I'm leaning towards SAFC any advice for that? I've done research BTW but opinions on performance options are always uselful
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
The thread you linked shows you have to build it yourself; and that thread looks dead...so, idk about that.
I know aackshun is working with a company to get tuned.
Emanage ultimate is awesome, and I have a 4th gen 3.5 w/ a jwt Ecu, so that's good too.

It will run rich without a tune.

You may be able to use gorilla tape on your MAF to retard timing, but you would need a AFR meter iirc.

And yeah i've had high hopes for MS but I need something before then, and hopefully I can go to the standalone at a later time. This gorilla tape on the MAF sounds interesting as a temporary solution....
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
AEM is in the $400 range though, correct? And safc can be found for more like $150-$200? All I really need is a way to keep my ratios right for mpg and performance reasons. Of course I'll have an aftermarket FPR but that probably can't do much.. I'll have a 3.5 with a 4a/t..... We'll see how long that lasts. So far I'm leaning towards SAFC any advice for that? I've done research BTW but opinions on performance options are always uselful
You can find a unit for cheaper than that. If you are using the A32 ECU then why do you need an aftermarket FPR? I know if you are using the A33 you need higher fuel pressure but you might run into problems with that FPR on the A32 ECU. Not 100% sure on that as I dont have the swap
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
KH3 by popular demand

You will be able to do what you need with an safc and a wideband o2. Without the wideband you are tuning/fine tuning in the dark. If you plan to go FI in the future definitely get the AEM FIC.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM

The FPR is because of, I guess, a need to adjust pressure. My friend ran a 3.0 FPR on his 3.5 and it blew off within a week. And I'll keep looking around but $150 was the best I found on a used SAFC
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
You can find a unit for cheaper than that. If you are using the A32 ECU then why do you need an aftermarket FPR? I know if you are using the A33 you need higher fuel pressure but you might run into problems with that FPR on the A32 ECU. Not 100% sure on that as I dont have the swap
Why not use an aftermarket FPR? it lets you fine tune, plus run the fuel lines the way you want. Not only that, he will need one since 3.5 uses a returnless fuel system.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM

The FPR is because of, I guess, a need to adjust pressure. My friend ran a 3.0 FPR on his 3.5 and it blew off within a week. And I'll keep looking around but $150 was the best I found on a used SAFC
You can find a vafc2 for 150. I bought and sold one like that
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fauken
You can find a vafc2 for 150. I bought and sold one like that
Oh really? I'll post a WTB when I actually have $150 to spare. But will I get more use out of a VAFC2 than an SAFC2 when I don't have a VIAS or variable timing? Maybe since I want an rpm switch for a drop resistor mod? But that wouldn't be worth the extra money when I can just use a microswitch.. So I guess it's down to VAFC2 and SAFC2 since they are both cheaper than I thought and better than I had previously realized..
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Vafc2 would be ur best option if your intake manifold doesn't already open on its own and it has 12 tuning pts for more accuracy than vafc or old safc. U need a wideband as well
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Vafc2 would be ur best option if your intake manifold doesn't already open on its own and it has 12 tuning pts for more accuracy than vafc or old safc. U need a wideband as well
I'll have a VIAS blockoff. But if it's more accurate then I can't see a definitive downside
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM

^^old soul. You don't sound 17..
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM

^^old soul. You don't sound 17..
Old soul? 17?!? That was last year man lol
Though I am at the ripe, old age of 18 now
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Old soul? 17?!? That was last year man lol
Though I am at the ripe, old age of 18 now
Update yo profile foo! Lol
18 isn't ripe yet; trust me, you'll smell it.....aaand back on topic:
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Update yo profile foo! Lol
18 isn't ripe yet; trust me, you'll smell it.....aaand back on topic:
Greddy emanage ultimate is how I roll, I can't wait till you get on here in 3 years and say "I jsut had my 21ardst brthfdxy padrtdds, thrszxw werce trixsluts an thesy godteded me DRUINNKK!"

Post in up in the drunk thread section....
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM

I'm a mobile .org-er so I have no clue what my profile looks like... and I'll have to make sure I do that now lol.

As far as the greddy goes, I can dream of that but I think i'd rather go with safc2 or vafc2 until Megasquirt finishes their work on Aackshun's donor car he somehow provided... Either that or coilovers.... Or I could get rid of my fabricated lip.......
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM

I'm a mobile .org-er so I have no clue what my profile looks like... and I'll have to make sure I do that now lol.

As far as the greddy goes, I can dream of that but I think i'd rather go with safc2 or vafc2 until Megasquirt finishes their work on Aackshun's donor car he somehow provided... Either that or coilovers.... Or I could get rid of my fabricated lip.......

Nah mang, not in your profile, I was saying that in 3 years it will be funny to see you drunk on the org mang. dis is all,
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by litch
Nah mang, not in your profile, I was saying that in 3 years it will be funny to see you drunk on the org mang. dis is all,
Oh I was just replying to the both of yahs. You should cut me a deal on that emanage though! I could use some assistance lol
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Oh I was just replying to the both of yahs. You should cut me a deal on that emanage though! I could use some assistance lol
lol, dat emanage costed me a pretty penny mang, not to mention the 450 dollar tuning session... was spensive mang. I am reading that there is a cat who is doing wiring harnesses for 3.5 swaps so they can be full instead of the hybrid, this would open the osirus door for you... might wanna check on dat one yo!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM

lol, dat emanage costed me a pretty penny mang, not to mention the 450 dollar tuning session... was spensive mang. I am reading that there is a cat who is doing wiring harnesses for 3.5 swaps so they can be full instead of the hybrid, this would open the osirus door for you... might wanna check on dat one yo!
I'll look around for that. I'm really needing a "quick swap" for now but I'll get another DD car so I can really go all out with the maxi-pad
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM

I'll look around for that. I'm really needing a "quick swap" for now but I'll get another DD car so I can really go all out with the maxi-pad

Yes, yes, very good. Make it pretty, make it prance like a pony.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Yes, yes, very good. Make it pretty, make it prance like a pony.
Back on topic! Opinions on SAFC2 vs VAFC2 on pricing and usefulness on a NON-VIAS 3.5 swap and ease of tuning... A dyno run won't be high on my list..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Have the runfiles?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM

who is that,did he put it together yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Have the runfiles?
get dem on wednesday.
Originally Posted by Max streets
who is that,did he put it together yet.
Guys name is Rich, he is the owner of the Speedfactory in el paso. Does real soild work (edit: I thought you were asking about who did my tune/install)
The cat who is doing the wiring? Dunno mang, check the all motor section, saw his thread yesterday or the day before, shouldn't be that hard to find.

Last edited by litch; 01-28-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Back on topic! Opinions on SAFC2 vs VAFC2 on pricing and usefulness on a NON-VIAS 3.5 swap and ease of tuning... A dyno run won't be high on my list..

Sorry mang, I do that sometimes...iz in my nature.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Whatever gus.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Whatever gus.
still not commenting about engine management -___- haha
The wiring harness would be nice if it was cheap and he could help source out the rest of the crap needed to swap a harness (cluster, ecu, trans, ....engine) Osiris Tune would be too dope
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM

still not commenting about engine management -___- haha
The wiring harness would be nice if it was cheap and he could help source out the rest of the crap needed to swap a harness (cluster, ecu, trans, ....engine) Osiris Tune would be too dope

Yeah that would be the best way, I tried that swap for an entire year, burned alot of cash trying to do it just so I could get the osiris tune, but alas it eluded me. Get after it mang
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM

Yeah that would be the best way, I tried that swap for an entire year, burned alot of cash trying to do it just so I could get the osiris tune, but alas it eluded me. Get after it mang
As soon as I find a stable job.. overpopulated town+18 year old with non-flexible schedule doesn't make finding a job easy.. College better pay off lol
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM

As soon as I find a stable job.. overpopulated town+18 year old with non-flexible schedule doesn't make finding a job easy.. College better pay off lol

College = get paid for what you know. College pays off in the long run youngin. Unless you get a raging hard on for running around in the desert and not showering for 3 weeks at a time...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM

College = get paid for what you know. College pays off in the long run youngin. Unless you get a raging hard on for running around in the desert and not showering for 3 weeks at a time...
Well I've never been much of a partier. But I've got to imagine what else I could have done with $40k dollars...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Well I've never been much of a partier. But I've got to imagine what else I could have done with $40k dollars...
Not desert parties mang, I was talkin millitary... and 40k dollars is a good investment in yourself
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Not desert parties mang, I was talkin millitary... and 40k dollars is a good investment in yourself
Military is not for me lol I have a physical disability.

And can you edit the rev limiter with a piggyback? Or is that a JWT thing?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Military is not for me lol I have a physical disability.

And can you edit the rev limiter with a piggyback? Or is that a JWT thing?
I don't really know mang, but I will find out minana for you when I pick my car up from the tune. I will ask for you. And I have jwt cam adapters but I don't think that is what you are referring too.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Eu
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM

so what can i use to add timing any one??

Quick Reply: Piggyback options