4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wood Trim, peeling, solutions?, dash replace time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Wood Trim, peeling, solutions?, dash replace time?

Looking at a used '98. Great condition except for the dash wood trim, which is detaching itself, curling up, looks like total ****e. No way it can be re-attached - too much curling and surface damage.

What are the options? I'm assuming you can't just peel it, clean up the plastic underneath, and have it look fresh.

Are there aftermarket kits that are good? (pointers?). How about replacing the entire console and vent bits with some SE bits (I have a parts car potentially available) . How many hours of work would it be to swap the center console, the vents, and anything else that's wood now?

Thanks for any insight... I need to ballpark this job for time and expense.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM

You can get replacement OEM trim here in the classifieds, there's always people parting out their cars. Do NOT go aftermarket, looks like ****
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
You can get replacement OEM trim here in the classifieds, there's always people parting out their cars. Do NOT go aftermarket, looks like ****
Thanks fo the aftermarket info ... since 90% of the trim is junk in this one, I'd probably have to do the swap either from the classifieds (will check them) or from the SE I have.

Is this common? Do they all look pretty bad by now? Or does it depend on where the car was stored (like out of the hot southern sun)?

Any idea how big a job it is to swap?

Last edited by BobMax; 01-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Not too bad, though some attention to detail is required. I almost bought a 97 GLE and glad I didn't, I was already in priestess of finding the black SE interior trim to swap out.

It completely depends on how well the p.o took care of it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83

It completely depends on how well the p.o took care of it.
This isn't just discolored... it's peeling from the bottom up. Really looks like heat damage to me - you'd think the care was a 'vert left out in the sun for years. I don't think the PO could do this if they tried.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax
This isn't just discolored... it's peeling from the bottom up. Really looks like heat damage to me - you'd think the care was a 'vert left out in the sun for years. I don't think the PO could do this if they tried.
if it's all peelling, then the car you looked at has aftermarket stick on's.
If you are looking for OEM Wood Trims, for the 98 Maxima... let me know.. I might have something for you... need to know what pieces you may be looking for.

Best Regards,

Simon aka SYCEFIRO

sycefiro@yahoo.com
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM

post pics definitely. sounds like youre talkin about ****ty aftermarket wood grain like someone else said. in which case peel it all off, clean up the glue, and start fresh. either vinyl wrap your oem trim, or water transfer it like some people do.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 AM

yeah oem wood is not wood- its plastic-
youve got the stick on kit that a prev owner prolly applied.
sounds like a nice day of cleaning ahead for ya
Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by billmus86
yeah oem wood is not wood- its plastic-
youve got the stick on kit that a prev owner prolly applied.
sounds like a nice day of cleaning ahead for ya
I think he is right here that someone stuck on one. Get the whole thing replaced from a set in the classifieds section.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
I think he is right here that someone stuck on one. Get the whole thing replaced from a set in the classifieds section.
I dunno. Don't have the car here yet, but I'll check it out when I do. It sure looked OEM - except for the sections where it was peeling :-) Maybe they had a problem with the factory trim and replaced some of it with aftermarket.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM

U ask me i will just go to the junk yard
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
post pics definitely. sounds like youre talkin about ****ty aftermarket wood grain like someone else said. in which case peel it all off, clean up the glue, and start fresh. either vinyl wrap your oem trim, or water transfer it like some people do.

Peel, sand, apply oem trim or paint I have heard good things about ceramic paint for the interior of the car, gonna try it myself one of these days...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 AM

It's a no-win situation, my wood went bad after only 2 yrs. (I bought my car new). They replaced it under warranty (whoa the first dealer accused me of installing it myself which is why it was peeling--wtf?? LOL). 2 yrs. later the same thing happened. Probably best to remove it imho. Those of you who aren't original owners of your car, that s*** was a $429 option if you can believe it!! p.s. if you look at "wood" trim on a German car, it's totally different, it's not pieces glued on, it's the entire fitted dash piece...Nissan did a bad job, but it is what it is...
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
It's a no-win situation, my wood went bad after only 2 yrs. (I bought my car new). They replaced it under warranty (whoa the first dealer accused me of installing it myself which is why it was peeling--wtf?? LOL). 2 yrs. later the same thing happened. Probably best to remove it imho. Those of you who aren't original owners of your car, that s*** was a $429 option if you can believe it!! p.s. if you look at "wood" trim on a German car, it's totally different, it's not pieces glued on, it's the entire fitted dash piece...Nissan did a bad job, but it is what it is...
Interesting. Maybe it is all original. Stick on wood doesn't work where the sun can bake it... even solid wood has issues in the sun.

Not sure why we take "high tech" mechanical devices made of plastic, aluminum, and steel and put wood (and sometimes fake wood) trim in them :-)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Did the factory wood cover the center vent piece on the dash? Or did it end just below that?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 AM

on maximas it stopped at the radio, i30s had a wood style hvac.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by billmus86
on maximas it stopped at the radio, i30s had a wood style hvac.
Ah... now we're getting there. The part that is peeling is on the vent area. Must be aftermarket. The factory stuff has a lot of discoloration, but it's not peeling. I think someone did a little "add on". I can probably peel that and be done with it.

I'll probably still swap it out for the black plastic since it doesn't quite hit my quality standards anymore.