4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mt 1997 maxi

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mt 1997 maxi

Wasup everyone, im Gene from PA. im new on here so heres my intro.

19, emt, 3rd car decided to get a maxima, ill save the bmw scene for later.
just got this maxi last week, 5spd, 200k, 1200$

im just gonna keep updating this thread whenever i put work into it.

so far just got a muffler delete, air intake, debadged trunk.

next im gonna do regular maint. brakes, oil. as far as visual goes, tryina get red/white tails, or if i find it anywhere, just the plastic white replacement pieces for rear turn signals. also attached some pics of previous 2 cars. thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails mt 1997 maxi-imag0810.jpg   mt 1997 maxi-imag0813.jpg   mt 1997 maxi-imag0811.jpg   mt 1997 maxi-2011-11-07-13.34.02.jpg   mt 1997 maxi-c360_2012-11-27-15-34-31.jpg  

Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM

looks good. thats my favorite color and lucky you with the 5 speed
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah i was only looking for manual ones, guy lived right next to me too! love the car, sounds amazing and will probably come out cheaper to maintain/hook up than any bmw
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Progress

okay, so its been couple of weeks since my last post, here are some updates on the car!

So from the start i was looking for a black leather maxima, there was none, if there was, they were auto which is wack. so i decided to make it myself.. had couple of bucks and heres what happened!

tan door panels off, decided to start from the back to make sure itll be worth it

got me some plasti dip!

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/9978/imag0001od.jpg
obviously not gonna dip the carpet parts so i had to mask it off with some tape

let the process begin!

aand heres what happened, layed down pretty nice, of course had to touch it up around the carped where spray didnt get cause of tape

front is out

masked off

and the final product, came out pretty cool in my opinion

Then 2 days later got me a pair of these, 150 for both

seat out!

seat in!

so the deal is racing seats did not come with rails, so i had to... omfg what i had to do with the old rails, and it still doesnt fit right, too much to the side, pretty high, doesnt move back/forth cause home made **** is in the way. gonna get a welder this weekend and put both in the right way. call it rice, but with this understeer and stock suspension bucket seats be doing it right with holding u in one place. gonna keep you guys updated. thanks for looking!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Looks nice man. Good job so far.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's a nice two tone thing you got going on the interior...and I gotta ask.....how come your shifter console looks like an automatic?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks!

and im guessing it was an auto before.. lol i was wondering the same thing when i got the car, but i mean its whatever you know, doesnt bother me that much. i just gotta find me a leather thing or make a home made jawn.

so welder is coming today, hopefully by end of the day - sunday both seats will be in.
im also most likely gonna take off the plasti dip from the front door panels, cause ****** b rubbin all up on it and taking it off slowly :/ im thinking either find some safe to touch non glossy paint or just go to junk yard and get me some black door panels and put the tan carpet parts on the new panels to keep my 2 tone idea alive haha. ill keep u guys updated.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sup everyone, so its been a while! car got some work into it, injen intake, stillen strut bar, sport suspension, clear lights in front, red/clear in the back, all that usual maxi stuff.

so last night i was about to launch the car at a light, clutch in, 1st gear, vroom vroom vroom, let go of the clutch... vroom vroom.. wtf? car rolls back. what ever gear i put it in, it does not move, it does not stall either, and if i put it in 5th and let go of the clutch speedo goes up to like 20 25 mph.. while the car is standing. goes in every gear fine, just doesnt drive or stall. anyways m boy told me its the clutch... thats what im hoping for that its only the clutch.. i looked around google but didnt find anything that car relate to me. my clutch was never slipping, i could put it in 4th gear going 20 miles an hour an d floor it and itll just b strugglin but not reving up for no reason. any help here? i need to make sure its the clutch before i go shopping... like when i popped the clutch last night, it didnt make no noice, no nothing, just smelled a little bit and didnt move.

thank you
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM

Could be the slave cylinder or the clutch. Start small lol. Could have lost hydraulic pressure or something.

Died at ****** b rubbin all the plasti dip off,

Last edited by Max139617; 04-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM

^ Exactly. I have never known a clutch to just go out like that. Not without any kind of noise to go with it.

But to go with your two tone idea without it being messed up, you could do what i did when I had a Maxima with beige interior. I put black vinyl where the inserts are, and painted the plastic pieces black. I think it looked pretty good. Definitely better than stock.

Good luck with the transmission.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

okay so for interior, thats what i did, it started to look really bad with a ll the little holes and sht so i got me some vinyl paint and re did them. im not gonna post up pics, it looks the same as with plasti dip, just now ****** can rub all over it a nd it will stay lookin the same haha.

but for my main problem, i just remembered that when i was changing the driver side strut , i seen a little drip of oil coming down, and like when i took out the strut assembly, the axle like poped out... idk i put it back in but i think theres a possibility that it came out again and maybe thats why my car does not drive. even when the car is off, i can put it in any gear w.o a problem, but if i push the car it will roll.. so like maybe "wheels aint connected to the tranny" im about to go to work and on break gonna lift her up and see. if it is the axle.. ill b a little upset cause i already ordered a stage 3 clutch
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

okay so it was my axle. it actually wore off like a little bit. so if any on you guys see ur axle pop out, make sure to shove it back in, hear 2 clicks. i didnt put mine back in with enough force( no force at all) and this is what happened. my clutch was pretty bad too, so they replaced that also, stage 3.

so as im driving home today i notice that when my car is facing uphill, the shifter does not move to the left! so i cant engage 1st or 2nd gear. had to start from 3rd at couple of lights, sht got so anoying so i pulled over. and somehow it moved to the left, it just randomly does it but i noticed it mostly stops going to the left on up hills. tranny oil is good, just put in 2 days ago. shifts in every gear good, reverse. just sometimes something gets in the way if the shifter and doesnt let it go left.

i did some re search, people saying in linkages. what are your thoughts/experiences on this issue? thank you
Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by pilot093
okay so it was my axle. it actually wore off like a little bit. so if any on you guys see ur axle pop out, make sure to shove it back in, hear 2 clicks. i didnt put mine back in with enough force( no force at all) and this is what happened. my clutch was pretty bad too, so they replaced that also, stage 3.

so as im driving home today i notice that when my car is facing uphill, the shifter does not move to the left! so i cant engage 1st or 2nd gear. had to start from 3rd at couple of lights, sht got so anoying so i pulled over. and somehow it moved to the left, it just randomly does it but i noticed it mostly stops going to the left on up hills. tranny oil is good, just put in 2 days ago. shifts in every gear good, reverse. just sometimes something gets in the way if the shifter and doesnt let it go left.

i did some re search, people saying in linkages. what are your thoughts/experiences on this issue? thank you
Could be the shifter linkage, or something internal to the trans (blocking the shift forks, or the linkage right after it enters the trans).

Put it up in the air and see if it's binding anywhere when you try to shift into 1st/2nd.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM

That stage 3 is unnecessary bro. Say bye bye to your tranny.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Max139617
That stage 3 is unnecessary bro. Say bye bye to your tranny.
Can you explain? I've never heard of a transmission failing because the clutch was too aggressive. I guess maybe if it was unsprung it could be harder on the drivetrain. I'm sure its overkill for his car but I can't really see his trans dying because of it.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Depends on your driving style bro. and i think ill go with the linkage cause it doesnt always do it. like right now, ill go put it in any gear, drive from 1st but once i get out of 2nd i might not be able to get back into it. or like i said before, move the shifter left while in N. so its like ill never know when i loose 2 gears. guys who did my clutch maybe didnt tighten the linkage all the way or somesht ill take it there monday morning and tell em to look at it since before they put on a new clutch my shifter was all nice and stiff not even that wiggely while in neutral.

oh if anyone decides to buy not known brand " 2" lowering springs" on ebay, it wont drop more than an inch. struts are pretty stiff tho (descibed as sport strut and discription did not disappoint) and if your gonna swap struts/springs yourself it shouldnt take more than 30 minutes for each wheel. unless you never worked on a car.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zach-R
Can you explain? I've never heard of a transmission failing because the clutch was too aggressive. I guess maybe if it was unsprung it could be harder on the drivetrain. I'm sure its overkill for his car but I can't really see his trans dying because of it.
You just answered your own question.

Originally Posted by pilot093

oh if anyone decides to buy not known brand " 2" lowering springs" on ebay, it wont drop more than an inch. struts are pretty stiff tho (descibed as sport strut and discription did not disappoint) and if your gonna swap struts/springs yourself it shouldnt take more than 30 minutes for each wheel. unless you never worked on a car.
whoa really ? i was just going to buy those. You mean these right ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-DROP-SUSPE...02edd2&vxp=mtr

Take a picture of your car and post it up. I would like to see this.

Which sport struts did you buy too ?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ill post up some pictures when i get the car out the shop.

anyways so i dropped it off, next day they call me and say its ready, that they found one of the 2 pieces that came off m axle that they couldnt find when they replaced the axle. he said "watch out, i couldnt get the other one as in i didnt find it but i drove the car and its fine. as i drive away from the shop same thing happens again, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, N and after that shifter wont go left. drove it back to the shop backwards, when i get there, shifter works fine engages all gears fine. so i go for another spin around the block, same thing happens, i pull over at a gravel parking lot, a little bumpy, as i come to almost a stop, it lets go and goes left just fine. i drive away, 1st 2nd and then it wouldnt come out of 2nd! i mean it came out of the gear itself, but the shifter wouldnt move, as if something is in the way.and once again as i hit some bumps it went back to operating normally. tomorrow they will take out the other axle, see if that piece can be reached in the tranny incase thats whats causing the problem. if not, tranny gonna come out and get take apart.

i do have bad engine mounts, it does move a little bit if u fk up on shifting or just jerk the car, so im thinking there is a piece of that axle stuck in the tranny and during certain conditions like movement and sht it gets in the way. linkage looked fine( well while it was on the lift everything was working fine anyways).

ill let you guys know whats up tomorrow. only thing is i really dont wanna spend alot for that tranny to get taken apart and car will only drive and look the same as before.

heres the struts i got
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-FRONT-REAR-SPORT-GAS-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SET-KIT-NISSAN-MAXIMA-INFINITI-I30-A32-/190571238206?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMaxima&hash=item2c5eee533e&vxp=mtr
yeah its cheap, with the 80 dollar springs, but i wasnt looking for a crazy project, if it was atleast an 03 maxima id go the proper way with teins and all that good stuff. but its a car for 1200 and i just wanted to have fun with it. all the work except clutch i did myself so plus with this cheap suspension set up it does feel more stiff and just different in general so its alright.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

And they were right! attached some pics of what was stuck in the tranny.

lucky for me it didnt damage the gears, only prevented the shifter from going left.
Attached Thumbnails mt 1997 maxi-imag0969.jpg   mt 1997 maxi-imag0970.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Kevlo for President

vinyl dye works better for the interior

see sig