4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sorry excuse for a "headlights on" notification chime

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 AM

Sorry excuse for a "headlights on" notification chime

This is the second time I've come back to my car with a dead battery. It's not due to any mechanical or electrical malfunction; it's purely a design flaw in the notification chime for head lights left on when ignition is off. The last 15 years of vehicles I owned have had automatic headlights option; now it's becoming a pain in the a$$ to remember to manually turn the low beams off when arriving at my destination.

First, is there a quick fix to this "less than urgent" repetitive chime alert. Anyway to make it louder, faster, and more pronounced?

And second, are the aftermarket auto headlamp wiring kits feasible on our 4th gen Maximas? If so, is it an easy install? Initially, I'm seeing a few different variety of universal kits available...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Design flaw? Um, no.

Problem exists between operator and vehicle.
Possible source might be operators brain, consumption of alcohol or inhalation of a foreign smoke for to long...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM

You just need to learn how to remember. Put a sticky note on your speedometer that says "headlights" or something. I've had mine unplugged for 7 years because its loud and annoying as ****. Not once have I left my lights on.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Design flaw? Um, no.

Problem exists between operator and vehicle.
Possible source might be operators brain, consumption of alcohol or inhalation of a foreign smoke for to long...
THIS. Granted, it's not the dingdingdingdingding that my 97 Grand Am had, but unless you're blind and can't see your lights on when you're out of the car...it IS loud enough. No "design flaw" found.

Design flaws are the Ford Pinto.
Design flaws are the Batteries on the Boeing 787...

a beeping that for some reason isn't good enough for you? Not a design flaw.

If you want auto headlights, get a car with auto headlights. I'll sell you my wife's 97 Outback if you want.

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 02-15-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
THIS. Granted, it's not the dingdingdingdingding that my 97 Grand Am had, but unless you're blind and can't see your lights on when you're out of the car...it IS loud enough. No "design flaw" found.
AGREED! OP, you are complaining about not being able to hear the chiming indicator for your headlights? That's daily for me..I'm deaf. In the last 8 years I have left my headlights on once that killed my battery.

You say its a design flaw? Im calling operator error
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM

I agree that the chime is rather anemic, just like the horns. My 5th gen has a much louder chime and much louder horns since I replaced them with Hella horns.

But one could go to someplace like Radio Shack and get something more to their liking. All you have to do is remove the dash panel section beneath the steering wheel.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Climaxx
You just need to learn how to remember. Put a sticky note on your speedometer that says "headlights" or something. I've had mine unplugged for 7 years because its loud and annoying as ****. Not once have I left my lights on.
I take full responsibility on the "user error" part. But in defense of my original posting, every vehicle I've owned in the past 25 years have had audible tones/dings loud enough to remind an operator in the event of ignition off and lights on (even when the parking lights were set to manual mode). Even my 1979 Plymouth Volare had some hideous buzz from under the dash that you could NOT ignore. "Annoying??"...umm...hardly. I don't think a short recorded audio clip from my phone would capture the tones. Parking in a loud parking structure or next to a busy thoroughfare, I'm damn well confident that anyone sitting in the drivers seat would not hear it. And distractions do happen (kids, phone calls, etc). Dusk and dawn drive times are daily. And inherent tendencies continue as daily drivers of mine have always been equipped with auto headlights.

So just maybe, non-enthusiasts, who are new to the 4th generation, have a valid claim relative to environmental factors. Or, this is 1 of a few vehicles in which the buzzer is failing and needs to be addressed.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I agree that the chime is rather anemic, just like the horns. My 5th gen has a much louder chime and much louder horns since I replaced them with Hella horns.

But one could go to someplace like Radio Shack and get something more to their liking. All you have to do is remove the dash panel section beneath the steering wheel.

Thanks for the input, "anemic on life support" better captures my perspective.

I'm going to investigate replacing the chime with a much more audible one. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's funny. My friend's 99 I30 has auto headlights and my 98 I30 doesn't, and that is perfectly fine with me. I'm just not into auto headlights. I don't even like my auto-dimming mirror. I would happily downgrade to the manual lever mirror. Way better night time contrast.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
That's funny. My friend's 99 I30 has auto headlights and my 98 I30 doesn't, and that is perfectly fine with me. I'm just not into auto headlights. I don't even like my auto-dimming mirror. I would happily downgrade to the manual lever mirror. Way better night time contrast.
Hey, if you'd like, I'd swap out my manual mirror for yours. My mirror is black, and the black auto's are hard to find, especially with the cover.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Apparently a faulty chime had a partial role in my dead battery. I assume more of the responsibility. But after a quick jaunt up to my local Radio Shack, a simple 12V 75 dB replacement chime works as expected. 15 years of filth on the OEM buzzer dampened decibel levels to ear-straining levels. The pulsating circuit is a bit slow for my taste but the sound output is acceptable. Now, anyone know how to increase frequency of the circuit???

Also, off topic, this connector (located near the drivers side fuse panel) is for what???

Name:  IMG_20130215_183941.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  99.4 KB
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM

That connector must be for the CONSULT.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
That connector must be for the CONSULT.
Okay, I hate to go off topic on my original posting, but is the CONSULT a proprietary nissan diagnostic connector? I know all cars manufactured after 96 have a OBD2 connector which I'm familiar with. Will read up on this connector.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by busterbrown1
Okay, I hate to go off topic on my original posting, but is the CONSULT a proprietary nissan diagnostic connector? I know all cars manufactured after 96 have a OBD2 connector which I'm familiar with. Will read up on this connector.
the 95 maxima also has obd2 lots of places swear it doesnt but the do its on the passeger side of the dash

Last edited by luke95gxe; 02-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM

design flaw is when they dont ding at all. if it aint completely silent when youre getting out, somethin aint right chief. ****s callin your attention.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM

Wire the chime singal to a train horn
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 AM

Apparently a faulty chime had a partial role in my dead battery. I assume more of the responsibility. But after a quick jaunt up to my local Radio Shack, a simple 12V 75 dB replacement chime works as expected. 15 years of filth on the OEM buzzer dampened decibel levels to ear-straining levels. The pulsating circuit is a bit slow for my taste but the sound output is acceptable. Now, anyone know how to increase frequency of the circuit???

Also, off topic, this connector (located near the drivers side fuse panel) is for what???
That doesn't look like the OBD2 scanner port. It's trapezoidal and this is rectangular.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 AM

I take full responsibility on the "user error" part. But in defense of my original posting, every vehicle I've owned in the past 25 years have had audible tones/dings loud enough to remind an operator in the event of ignition off and lights on (even when the parking lights were set to manual mode). Even my 1979 Plymouth Volare had some hideous buzz from under the dash that you could NOT ignore. "Annoying??"...umm...hardly. I don't think a short recorded audio clip from my phone would capture the tones. Parking in a loud parking structure or next to a busy thoroughfare, I'm damn well confident that anyone sitting in the drivers seat would not hear it. And distractions do happen (kids, phone calls, etc). Dusk and dawn drive times are daily. And inherent tendencies continue as daily drivers of mine have always been equipped with auto headlights.

So just maybe, non-enthusiasts, who are new to the 4th generation, have a valid claim relative to environmental factors. Or, this is 1 of a few vehicles in which the buzzer is failing and needs to be addressed.
1st post you say 15 years and now 25 years of driving....
Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 AM

Actually I used to have that problem too. I don't even notice the chime sometimes, but I have developed a habit to take a peek at the switch as I leave the car.

Also I have to look back at my car as I lock it anyway to see the lights flash so I rarely ever leave my lights on.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 AM

The frequency is determined by the design of the buzzer/chime you put in. I doubt that you can change it.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:44 AM

Sorry if I brought this topic back from the dead but I have been coming back to a dead battery for a minute now not hearing a warning beep. Come to find out that mine was disconnected all these years. I just plugged it back in thanks to this forum and post.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
the 95 maxima also has obd2 lots of places swear it doesnt but the do its on the passeger side of the dash
yes it does, had to argue that fact with many garages over the years.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon and Ian
Sorry if I brought this topic back from the dead but I have been coming back to a dead battery for a minute now not hearing a warning beep. Come to find out that mine was disconnected all these years. I just plugged it back in thanks to this forum and post.
dude, i have left my interior lights on once, and my headlights maybe twice in 11 years of owning a maxima. but i hear my chime most of the time
Old 12-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Administrator

old thread I know, but I didn't even know we had a headlight chime. In all of my Maximas, the chime has never worked. Luckily, I've never forgotten to turn off my headlights.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
old thread I know, but I didn't even know we had a headlight chime. In all of my Maximas, the chime has never worked. Luckily, I've never forgotten to turn off my headlights.
+1 I was very confused reading this thread
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 AM

That connector is the Nissan consult connecter. Their version of obd.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:11 PM

Just wanted to throw a couple things out there on the headlight chime issue before this thread gets re-buried.

There are two solutions to this:
1: get a louder chime, or possible wire in a light or some other alerting device to help you remember to turn the lights off.
2: wire in either an auto headlight or headlight kill option so you don't have to remember.

I hate auto headlights. I absolutely hate having my headlights on just because its cloudy and not be able to turn them off. Two of my other cars I had (97 celica and 94 3000gt) had a cool feature, the headlights (or parking if just those were on) would turn off when the car was off. If I turned the headlight switch off and back on, the lights would turn back on. While this type of thing would be hard to add aftermarket, there are other ways to do it.
E-bay sells auto headlight kits for around $20. I haven't tried them, but it looks like a straight forward install. Mind you this would take some time and studying of the FSM, but one could also put a few relays between the fuses for the parking/headlights and the stalk switch. Link the relays to acc power and the headlights would turn off with the key. But they cannot be turned on without the key either.

I remember as a kid going shopping with my parents. They would announce over the PA "such and such car with plate number ***-***, your lights are on"
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to revive such an old thread. But new to the forum. By any chance does some have a chime sensor/relay in tact. New to the forum and the model and just killed a battery today. Would love the audible warning. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sweatshop
Sorry to revive such an old thread. But new to the forum. By any chance does some have a chime sensor/relay in tact. New to the forum and the model and just killed a battery today. Would love the audible warning. Thanks in advance.
Please post a WTB thread in the Classifieds section.