4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension setup advice please

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM

Suspension setup advice please

Having now driven my new 4th Gen around for a couple of months, I’ve got to say I’m not very impressed with the handling compared to my old 3rd Gen. Not sure if it is the change from independent rear suspension to trailing arm combined with overly light steering, but it feels a bit like a boat going around corners – especially the rear. The suspension seems to be in good condition – no weird noises – any the car only has a genuine 100k on it.

The luxury version (which mine is) here in Australia has an active damper in the suspension with a switch for “auto” or “sport” modes but this setting doesn’t seem to make much of a difference really. I have read previously that this system added little benefit.

Anyway just wondering what others think about the factory suspension setup in the 4th Gen?

Is there a specific mod that will improve handling for a reasonable price?

I have read some info on rear sway bars but they get mixed reports. Only thing I don’t want to do is lower the car too much as it is a daily driver and the roads are terrible over here.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The difference between the IRS and the rear beam with its Russel Link is going to give you a different feel for the road. However, with 100k miles on the factory suspension, the dampers should be replaced.

The only way to keep the electronic adjustments would be to get genuine Nissan components. That's going to be expensive to say the least.

My suggestion would be to go with a good aftermarket brand. I believe the hardware should be the same, with the exception of the dampers (front struts and rear shocks). A little research should confirm this. If that's the case you can use any aftermarket component. Tokico, KYB or Monroe. If the hardware is slightly different your only option to convert is to get loaded front struts and rear shocks. Monroe Sensatrack's are a nice setup.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If your struts are fine and you don't want to get lowering springs, the best bang for your buck is a rear sway bar. If you want to lower the car then get a minimal drop spring, around 1.5", and pair them with quality struts. Skip the RSB when lowered.

What brands are available in your area?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM

yea u prolly just need to replace the struts. When i did my struts the car felt way more secure.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM

when my rear shocks were out my car almost washed out in the corners. If you lower and keep good tires then you'll see some nice handling. wider wheels/tires make a nice difference as well. If you go all out with strut bars and sway bars then it'll *supposedly* "handle like a miata"
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys. I would consider either option - lowering or struts - just not dropping it to the ground. I might get someone who knows what their doing to check the struts over and make sure they are in good condition. I believe the active damper suspension is very expensive to revamp. I've heard figures of more than 2k. It does seem a bit of a shame to replace them if they are in good condition considering the cost they added to the car when new, but I guess they will wear out sooner or later anyway. There is very little information available of the way this is set up so can't confirm if only the struts are different so at this point I have to assume that you can just replace springs with aftermarket ones and keep factory struts. The FSM doesn't mention this type of suspension it but I have a US FSM so that isn't surprising.

We get most of the big brands over here no worries - bilstein, koni (expensive), KYB, monroe (middle of the road). Don't think Tokico are very readily available. Could always get some sent over from the US if one was specifically recommended over the others and not availabel here. Was also reading about the pivot arm bushing that some had replaced with PU ones. Sounds like fairly minor improvement though on stock setup. Don't really have the money at this point to do all 4 springs and struts so may have to choose.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

At your mileage, I would definitely not just throw sport springs on it.
I would just throw basic non adjustable struts on it.
KYB's ride pretty firm, especially the front struts.
Bilstein isn't an option.
Monroe Sensatrack's will give you a nice controlled OEM ride.
Tokico Blues, if you can get them is the smoothest riding.
Tokico Illumina manual adjustable struts can be adjusted to your liking.

IMHO - Monroe Sensatrack's is probably your best and cheapest option to improve your ride and handling.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mark77
The luxury version (which mine is)
The luxury verion in the US is the Maxima GLE. Both the GLE and GXE have a softer suspension. The SE had the firmer suspension. None of the US maximas have that fancy electronic suspension that your does, as you've figured out.

I've had a Maxima SE and now an I30t (it's a Max SE too.) On both cars, the OEM spring rate was definitely progressive. Very soft at the beginning, but if you go harder into a corner, the suspension always tightened up. Maybe the 3rd gen had more linear spring rates and the progressive spring rates of the 4th gen may have put you off.

Originally Posted by mark77
Don't really have the money at this point to do all 4 springs and struts so may have to choose.
Springs usually don't wear out, so you can replace the struts only to get a better, practically original ride.

As mentioned earlier, if you keep the original springs, and therefore the same ride height, an RSB would be a good addition.

At some point you may want to consider a mild drop like I have. H&Rs and KYB-GR2s. The ride is a bit stiffer than the original SE, but handling has improved significantly. I have no RSB and don't need it. I do plan to get an FSTB and that will be pretty much it for me suspensionwise.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Just an update regarding my suspension. I was changing the brake pads on the rear today and I noticed a sticker on the inside of the strut which says they are Monroe reflex. I looked these up on the net and apparently they are supposed to be above Sensatrack in quality but some say they have a harsher ride. It seems that they are mainly for use on light trucks.

So i'm guessing that my fancy electronic suspension has already been disabled/is not working.

They look fairly new and are supposed to me pretty good handling wise but i'm still not that impressed so might consider that RSB.

Anyone else had experience with these struts on the max?

Will be doing the front brakes tomorrow so will be interesting to see if they are the same.