4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

can't reprogram keyless entry remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can't reprogram keyless entry remote

Hi, I have a 96 maxima GXE. The remote stopped responding, so I went and bought a new one. I go through the repgrogramming procedures and I can get past the first step, where you insert and desert the key 7 times within 10 seconds, and my hazard lights flash. Then I put it in ACC, push the lock button on the remote, nothing. Try the old remote, same thing.. nothing.. I even replaced the keyless entry unit (in the trunk) with the hopes of different results. Nothing. Does anyone know any other troubleshooting procedures, or anything else I can try?

Last edited by Tim Quayle; 03-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 PM

I bought a key fob from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140556168647...84.m1439.l2649

I followed this exactly and it worked:

Note: You must have all remotes on hand when performing this procedure. Any remotes not used during this procedure will become inactive.

Close and lock all doors with the driver's side power lock / unlock switch located on drivers door panel.
Insert key into ignition (DON'T TURN) and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least 6 times within 10 seconds (this will need to be done at approximately one second intervals). Your hazard lamps will flash if you have performed this step correctly. PLEASE NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast or too slow the system will not enter programming mode.
Insert key into ignition and turn to the ACC position.
Within 5 seconds, push the LOCK button on the keyless remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. PLEASE NOTE: Do not press the button on the remote more than one time or the programming will not be successful.
If there are any remaining remotes (including working ones), Unlock then Lock all doors using the switch on drivers door panel. Within 5 seconds of locking and unlocking doors press LOCK button on the next remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. Repeat this step for each remote (including any working remotes).
When all remotes have been programmed turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door. Test all remotes.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, thanks. I have already done that. Its the exact same remote I happened to have bought as well.

My problem is after the first hazard flash after inserting/removing the key, then switching to acc. pushing lock on the remote does nothing. no bueno. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Did you make sure to unlock the doors via the driver's side door controls? You also have to get out of the car and shut the door before you can use the fob (for the first time).

Also, I noticed I have to hold the button the fob for about 1 sec before it will do anything (after you program it).
Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Naw, again it just doesn't program at all.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the keyless entry module? I have measured 12v going to it, so its not a power/fuse problem, but have no idea what the other wires in the harness go/do.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM

When you say "keyless entry module", are you talking the module in the trunk by the power antenna? This is the multi-remote control unit (LCU05) that decodes the key fob signals.

pin 1 - data line A for doors on the right side.
pin 2 - 12 volts
pin 3 - data line B for doors on the left side.
pin 4 - ground
pin 5 - to trunk unlock solenoid. goes to 0 volts to unlock trunk.
pin 7 - input from antenna in rear window

Get the FSM from here: http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

Start on page 216 in the EL (el.pdf) section.

Block diagram on page 224. LCU05 is in the top right corner before you rotate the page to read it.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Quayle
Naw, again it just doesn't program at all.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the keyless entry module? I have measured 12v going to it, so its not a power/fuse problem, but have no idea what the other wires in the harness go/do.
Here is a great source for wiring diagrams.
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When you say "keyless entry module", are you talking the module in the trunk by the power antenna? This is the multi-remote control unit (LCU05) that decodes the key fob signals.

pin 1 - data line A for doors on the right side.
pin 2 - 12 volts
pin 3 - data line B for doors on the left side.
pin 4 - ground
pin 5 - to trunk unlock solenoid. goes to 0 volts to unlock trunk.
pin 7 - input from antenna in rear window

Get the FSM from here: http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

Start on page 216 in the EL (el.pdf) section.

Block diagram on page 224. LCU05 is in the top right corner before you rotate the page to read it.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Thank you. I have a place to start now. All I can do right now is short pins 4 and 5 then my trunk pops. Hoping its some relay/fuse, that I am missing.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bobflood
Here is a great source for wiring diagrams.
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Good luck.
Thank you a ton!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Following the wiring diagram, I was able to measure 12v going to the keyless 2 relay, so the fuses are good. I bypassed the switch side of the relay, so it isnt the relay. I am still getting no response once I go into programming mode.

Heres another piece of info, I got into an accident a while back & messed up the driver side front of the car. Replaced the front quarter panel and lights and its good. One thing I was not able to figure out is that the driver side front turn signal doesn't work. when I hit the lever, I get a fast flash (I guess this indicates that an electrical connection is open somewhere in the circuit?), I have never been able to trace where the open is, but could this possibly be contributing to my problem, since it looks like it connects into the remote/keyless circuit. ?

I also have programmed multiple fobs into the system over the years and can remember that there is a maximum number of remotes that the system can handle? I think it was 4? Could it be that I have reached the max number of fobs, & its just not letting me enter any more? is there a way to reset this?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Nissan allows a maximum of 4 remotes programmed to the car. When you start the programming procedure and the hazard lights flash, you have erased all remotes from the car's "memory" and are starting from scratch.

The normal sequence of events that happen when you press a button on the keyfob (remote):
1 - keyfob broadcasts a radio frequency signal to the car.
2 - Antenna in rear window receives the signal.
3 - Signal from antenna goes to the multi-remote control unit (LCU05) in the trunk.
4 - Multi-remote control unit (LCU05) decodes which button was pressed.
5 - Multi-remote control unit (LCU05) sends button command to BCM (except trunk unlock command.)
6 - Body Control Module performs requested task.

The challenge is to find out where in the sequence of events the breakdown is happening.

It could be the antenna in the rear window. Could you have scratched cut through one of those traces? Also possible is the connector for the wire that goes from the window to the multi-remote control unit (LCU05) could have fallen off. The connection is in the right side C-pillar (the section between the rear door opening and the rear window). See post # 56 in this thread for a photo. Almost the last post.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...s-entry-2.html

Another possibility is the BCM is bad. If you can lock and unlock all 4 doors by using the key from outside the car, I doubt that the BCM is the problem.

I really doubt that your turn signal problem is not the cause of the remote entry problem. The BCM makes the lights flash after it locks the doors. The lights don't flash when you unlock the doors.

The turn signal flashing fast is an indication of too much electrical current going through the flasher. An open wire/burned out bulb causes slow flashing. Every once in a while you get a light bulb that has the filaments inside it shorting out. Try another light bulb.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM

keyless remote

1998 Infiniti I-30
I'm having the same problem you are with the keyless remote. I can get to the step of the hazard lights flashing after the insert key part. After that once i try and program my remote i don't receive the hazard light flashing and the keyless remote doesn't work.

I have tried disconnecting the unit in the trunk by the jack and re-connecting it. Nothing.

As far as the BCM goes from the previous post I think its good. I can unlock all doors with my key.

Not sure whats wrong here.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 PM

ask maxima joe if he has the keyless entry box for your year maxima. i almost bet that went bad. thats what happened to my 95, i got one from joe for 15.00 shipped, walla, fixed the problem.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:58 PM

Where would I find this maxima joe?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by box12360
Where would I find this maxima joe?
http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=5900
Old 08-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had a similar problem with my 1997 Maxima GXE. Never came with the key fob so I bought it on ebay. Couldn't seem to get into programming mode, regardless of how many times I tried. I made the mistake of going to buy it before checking (because I assumed that there was already one in place).

Great video to let you know if you have the LCU05 in place already.