4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need opinions on catback

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM

Need opinions on catback

Hi everyone, it's been a while...
So, i'm looking to upgrade my stock exhaust, and looking for something with a nice sound and some HP gains, i've been through some threads and then searched on ebay and found this- attractive price and looks tempting.
Can someone with more experience lemme know a little more about a cattback such as this with a 4.5 tip, will it sound good or rice? and are there good power gains? Many thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300885073498&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM

That's fully rice.
I'm sure quality is crap too.
If you haven't already, get a y-pipe.
Idk if cattman is doing the 4th gen thing, but he's worth saving for if its available.
I have a pacesetter catback on mine.
It's just ok, but way better than the stock, and the coffee can your looking at on eBay.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
That's fully rice.
I'm sure quality is crap too.
If you haven't already, get a y-pipe.
Idk if cattman is doing the 4th gen thing, but he's worth saving for if its available.
I have a pacesetter catback on mine.
It's just ok, but way better than the stock, and the coffee can your looking at on eBay.
Thanks for the input, i'm a noob with catback, lol.
I won't have money for cattman, outta my range. I'm gonna save up for a WS y though.

Whats a good and affordable cattback on ebay?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 PM

just get an apexi or cattman exhaust. i have the apexi exhaust and personally i think it is the best sounding exhaust for our 4th gens.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by theblackone3.5
just get an apexi or cattman exhaust. i have the apexi exhaust and personally i think it is the best sounding exhaust for our 4th gens.
Apexi WS2, $700+ is pretty pricey.
How would a WS Y and straight pipe sound? bet it would get me mad HP eh
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by eddie982
Apexi WS2, $700+ is pretty pricey.
How would a WS Y and straight pipe sound? bet it would get me mad HP eh
Crazy loud. Don't do it. WS Y and a decent muffler is a must. In a perfect world, a large resonator would do some good too
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
Crazy loud. Don't do it. WS Y and a decent muffler is a must. In a perfect world, a large resonator would do some good too
Bummer, definitely don't want to get pulled over.
Got a speeding ticket last month (Was ticketed for doing 46 in a 25 zone, actually
was closer to 60 and hit the brakes when i saw the popos, phew)
Gotta pay $438 to get away with no points, haha.

So gimme your 2 cents, what would pair up nice with a WS Y??
Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 PM

Got a speeding ticket last month (Was ticketed for doing 46 in a 25 zone, actually

I have a budget y, stock cat, straight pipe and a nice muffler and it sounds great at idle and low throttle. a little too mich rasp high end. So i'd say get a resonator and some kind of muffler if you want it to sound decent and semi-loud
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM

bummer, definitely don't want to get pulled over.
Got a speeding ticket last month (was ticketed for doing 46 in a 25 zone, actually
gotta pay $438 to get away with no points, haha.

So gimme your 2 cents, what would pair up nice with a ws y??
daaaaaamn!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by UncleSmitty
daaaaaamn!
I know, i coulda bought a WS-Y and cattback with that much green.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 AM

I know, i coulda bought a WS-Y and cattback with that much green.

I know it.. I was gonna get headers until i was caught doing 60 in a 45 school zone that had just turned into a school zone.. 456$ you know the rest..
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 AM

Dont listen to hlf these guys.. 99% of catbacks arent going to show significant gains to pay 500-700 for a catback.. Theres plenty of people that have ebay catbacks for yearssss in new england which has snow salt etc... I had aluminizied piping all custom welded with mwgnaflow muffler... The only exhaust the makes it worth the big $$$$ is cattman 3inch... And thats 600-800 ... Just buy an ebay exhaust and call it a day.... Or find a used catback on here..if i remember correctly maxfever was selling a full cattman catback and greddy both for 400 each in excellent condition...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Or find a used catback on here..if i remember correctly LTNMAXX was selling a full Greddy in excellent condition...
FIXED , OP your a local hit me up: FS: Random parts
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 AM

Hmmmm if you weren't speeding is a like that you would almost have the money to buy a decent exhaust system...Sounds like you were either in a Residental area or school zone. Slow the Fing down in areas like that...you only feel cool but when you hit someone you will regret it. I'd throw a brick at your car if you came by my house like that.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Hi everyone, it's been a while...
So, i'm looking to upgrade my stock exhaust, and looking for something with a nice sound and some HP gains, i've been through some threads and then searched on ebay and found this- attractive price and looks tempting.
Can someone with more experience lemme know a little more about a cattback such as this with a 4.5 tip, will it sound good or rice? and are there good power gains? Many thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
I would buy it If I were you and if you don't like it cause it's too loud cut out the the resonator or/and muffler and substitute them with some Magnaflow components (Mufflers/resontors).....$87.99 is a hell of a bargain even for a tubing kit....Cattman doesn't make exhaust for the 4th Gen unless you can get 14 other people sign up and maybe you can make a twinkle in his eye!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM

i still say anything with a resonator and a muffler will sound good enough. especially with headers and an equal length y
Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
i still say anything with a resonator and a muffler will sound good enough. especially with headers and an equal length y
Are you running headers?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM

nope i'm on stock manifolds
Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM

I'm running a Kensai catback from eBay. Replaced the muffler with a turbo muffler. For $170 total I'm happy with it and its pretty quiet considering I've got. Y pipe.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM

I'd suggest make your own cat-back system. I have a Magnaflow straight through muffler and cut the resonator out and it sounds pretty good. A little raspy for my liking so I'm modifying it soon. I don't know how much exhaust shops charge there, but where I live, I got the muffler on eBay for $55 from someone, and had it installed and resonator cut out for $65. I'm not sure about the eBay cat-back. It's 2.5" but made to have a ricey tip. Personally, I wouldn't try it. Not for $173. But it all depends on what kind of sound you're going for.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zach-R
I'm running a Kensai catback from eBay. Replaced the muffler with a turbo muffler. For $170 total I'm happy with it and its pretty quiet considering I've got. Y pipe.
Turbo muffler... like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-M-N1-STAINLESS-4-STRAIGHT-TIP-TURBO-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-3-inlet-w-Silencer-/270860944793?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMaxima&hash=item3f10920599&vxp=mtr
Originally Posted by Aflion
I'd suggest make your own cat-back system. I have a Magnaflow straight through muffler and cut the resonator out and it sounds pretty good. A little raspy for my liking so I'm modifying it soon. I don't know how much exhaust shops charge there, but where I live, I got the muffler on eBay for $55 from someone, and had it installed and resonator cut out for $65. I'm not sure about the eBay cat-back. It's 2.5" but made to have a ricey tip. Personally, I wouldn't try it. Not for $173. But it all depends on what kind of sound you're going for.
I'm looking for a deep sound, nothing farty or raspy.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Flowmasters tend to give a deep sound for our cars. I had a Flowmaster clone on my first Maxima and it sounded pretty good. I would think a Flowmaster 44 with the resonator cut out would be about what you're looking for.

I would think it would sound close to this, but less raspy since you would keep the cat.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Here is my first Maxima with the Flowmaster clone. It also had a CAI, which probably helped give it a deeper tone.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Flowmasters tend to give a deep sound for our cars. I had a Flowmaster clone on my first Maxima and it sounded pretty good. I would think a Flowmaster 44 with the resonator cut out would be about what you're looking for.

Maxima Flowmaster Exhaust Rev/FlyBy - YouTube

I would think it would sound close to this, but less raspy since you would keep the cat.
I liked the sound. Ok so other than the muffler, i would need the piping behind it as well right.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM

I liked the sound. Ok so other than the muffler, i would need the piping behind it as well right.
You can just use stock piping and weld in the muffler and a piece of pipe in place of the resonator. That is what I did on my current Maxima. After market pipe wouldn't change the sound unless it's diameter is bigger than stock, which I wouldn't do for the sound you are looking for. I would keep it at the 2 1/4 inch stock piping.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM

You can just use stock piping and weld in the muffler and a piece of pipe in place of the resonator. That is what I did on my current Maxima. After market pipe wouldn't change the sound unless it's diameter is bigger than stock, which I wouldn't do for the sound you are looking for. I would keep it at the 2 1/4 inch stock piping.
Kool, thanks for the input.

Also came across this, nice price and claims that:
"This muffler will increase about 8%-10% horsepower and will produce a smooth deep throaty tone. Sound level varies, depending on piping diameter and type of resonator."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELD-ON-N1-STYLE-2-5-INLET-HIGH-FLOW-SPORT-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-REMOVABLE-SILENCER-/400434177003?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMaxima&hash=item5d3bbca3eb&vxp=mtr
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input, i'm a noob with catback, lol.
I won't have money for cattman, outta my range. I'm gonna save up for a WS y though.

Whats a good and affordable cattback on ebay?
SRS CatBack. Excellent quality, seller is willing to deal & you could probably haggle the price down to <$200 inc. shipping. Too bad the muffler has the 'potato launcher' tip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-SRS-CATBACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-95-96-97-98-Maxima-/220641742730?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item335f45cf8a
I've got the 5th Gen dual tip system VERY satisfied w/ the sound, fitment & quality. Here's INFO, pics/soundclips/etc. in this thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM

Kool, thanks for the input.

Also came across this, nice price and claims that:
"This muffler will increase about 8%-10% horsepower and will produce a smooth deep throaty tone. Sound level varies, depending on piping diameter and type of resonator."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELD-ON-N1-S...bca3eb&vxp=mtr
I wouldn't bother with the knock off fart cans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowmaster-942448-Original-44-Series-Muffler-2-25-O-O-/180931444132?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a205abda4&vxp=mtr
It's a little under twice as much, but I think you would be much happier with the sound. The Flowmaster style doesn't sound like any other muffler unless the muffler is a Flowmaster clone. If I were you, I would go with the Flowmaster. As for the 8-10% horsepower gain, it isn't going to happen. The best you will get out of just muffler on our cars will be marginal at best. CAI and Y-Pipe will give the best HP gains on our cars. Others stuff gives small gains, if any. But I did notice better throttle response with the muffler.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM

on my 95 i had stock headers and y pipe were stock. I had a flowmaster series 40 with no resonator and i loved the sound here is a clip of that

ill try and get a video clip of my 97 with headers y-pipe high flow cat an magnaflow muffler
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM

heres my 97 with headers, y-pipe, high flow cat, resonator(factory), magnaflow muffler lil raspy but tolerable

Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM

I wouldn't bother with the knock off fart cans.

Flowmaster 942448 Original 44 Series Muffler 2 25" O O | eBay

It's a little under twice as much, but I think you would be much happier with the sound. The Flowmaster style doesn't sound like any other muffler unless the muffler is a Flowmaster clone. If I were you, I would go with the Flowmaster. As for the 8-10% horsepower gain, it isn't going to happen. The best you will get out of just muffler on our cars will be marginal at best. CAI and Y-Pipe will give the best HP gains on our cars. Others stuff gives small gains, if any. But I did notice better throttle response with the muffler.
This does seem like a good buy, reputed co. and you know what you're getting, unlike other ebay choices- a gamble.

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
on my 95 i had stock headers and y pipe were stock. I had a flowmaster series 40 with no resonator and i loved the sound here is a clip of that

1995 nissan maxima exhaust - YouTube

ill try and get a video clip of my 97 with headers y-pipe high flow cat an magnaflow muffler
sounds great!

So, my shortlist is a WS-Y with a flowmaster muffler, yes yes.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Should sound good. I hope you're happy with what you get. I plan on cutting my cat out and putting in an 18 inch Magna pack soon. Hopefully I can get one of the exhaust shops here to make me a custom Y-Pipe for $150 or so pretty soon. Then I'll do that as well. Good luck on your exhaust.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM

the best thing to do on a VQ30 is to keep it quiet. It just doesnt sound good. Get the cheap Ebay exhaust and spend the money elsewhere. As soon as you go y-pipe, yea you gain HP, but it really sounds like crap. The ebay catback sounds great which is extremely odd
Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Should sound good. I hope you're happy with what you get. I plan on cutting my cat out and putting in an 18 inch Magna pack soon. Hopefully I can get one of the exhaust shops here to make me a custom Y-Pipe for $150 or so pretty soon. Then I'll do that as well. Good luck on your exhaust.
Thanks for your input bro, will put up a vid when it's all done.
Wondering why don't you get a WS-Y, you could get a used one for cheap.
What's a "18 inch Magna pack", i'm guessing it'll give better flow?

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
the best thing to do on a VQ30 is to keep it quiet. It just doesnt sound good. Get the cheap Ebay exhaust and spend the money elsewhere. As soon as you go y-pipe, yea you gain HP, but it really sounds like crap. The ebay catback sounds great which is extremely odd
What are you running on yur car?

I read that you get mid to high end HP gains with a WS-Y, nothing much on the lower end... Anyone with a WS-Y, can you guys chime in on what difference was felt, upgrading from stock??
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Thanks for your input bro, will put up a vid when it's all done.
Wondering why don't you get a WS-Y, you could get a used one for cheap.
What's a "18 inch Magna pack", i'm guessing it'll give better flow?
That would be cool. And because I want an equal length Y-Pipe, and WS-Y are unequal. It's an 18 inch muffler. Haha. It's Magnaflow's version of a glasspack, except they don't use fiberglass, so it lasts longer.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM

What are you running on yur car?

I read that you get mid to high end HP gains with a WS-Y, nothing much on the lower end... Anyone with a WS-Y, can you guys chime in on what difference was felt, upgrading from stock??
The only stock component I have remaining on mine is the exhaust manifolds. I have a Cattman Y because I wanted the quick HP and didnt realize the equal length was what I really needed paired with long tube headers AKA $$$. After the Y is a high flow bullet style cat, 10415 Magnaflow resonator, then a 14832 Magnaflow muffler. Once you swap out the stock Y for an unequal length, there is no making it sound good. Buy the SRS catback and you will like the sound and still see about 5-10hp not to mention the weight savings. Trust me. I have spent a lot of money on several mufflers and several resonators. Unequal Y paired with the asymmetric exhaust manifolds just does not sound good
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
The only stock component I have remaining on mine is the exhaust manifolds. I have a Cattman Y because I wanted the quick HP and didnt realize the equal length was what I really needed paired with long tube headers AKA $$$. After the Y is a high flow bullet style cat, 10415 Magnaflow resonator, then a 14832 Magnaflow muffler. Once you swap out the stock Y for an unequal length, there is no making it sound good. Buy the SRS catback and you will like the sound and still see about 5-10hp not to mention the weight savings. Trust me. I have spent a lot of money on several mufflers and several resonators. Unequal Y paired with the asymmetric exhaust manifolds just does not sound good
So, the SRS catback will get me 5- 10 HP without a WS-Y, or with it ?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 AM

An aftermarket y pipe will make the car much louder with a fart can which is why I replaced the one on my ebay catback. I paid $120 for the catback and $50 for muffler and install. I went cheap because I knew I would be replacing the muffler. The shop let me test out a few mufflers before deciding. The flowmaster did sound awesome but was much louder than turbo muffler which is why I decided against it. I try not to draw attention to myself.

Be careful when having a shop custom make your exhaust most shops use crush bends which actually can reduce the diameter of your piping by as much as 50%. For $120 I had a full stainless exhaust with mandrel bends. Can't beat that!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zach-R
An aftermarket y pipe will make the car much louder with a fart can which is why I replaced the one on my ebay catback. I paid $120 for the catback and $50 for muffler and install. I went cheap because I knew I would be replacing the muffler. The shop let me test out a few mufflers before deciding. The flowmaster did sound awesome but was much louder than turbo muffler which is why I decided against it. I try not to draw attention to myself.

Be careful when having a shop custom make your exhaust most shops use crush bends which actually can reduce the diameter of your piping by as much as 50%. For $120 I had a full stainless exhaust with mandrel bends. Can't beat that!
Good info there

What gains did you see with your setup?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM

Good info there

What gains did you see with your setup?
I have no way of telling really but I know I saw gains. There was a part of my stock catback that was like an inch in diameter like it was smashed flat for about 4-6 inches. Weird.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on catback