4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need opinions on catback

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Happy birthday eddie
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM

You will see gains with a catback but it wont be noticeable. Get this http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail and piece together a system or just buy the SRS. Hard to beat the price and it does sound good
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
Happy birthday eddie
Thanks man

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
You will see gains with a catback but it wont be noticeable. Get this http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail and piece together a system or just buy the SRS. Hard to beat the price and it does sound good
Does the 3 inch have significant advantages over the 2.25?
I'm thinking- bigger diameter= better airflow, can't go wrong with that right
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Got Retrofit?

eBay catbacks are not crap and they sound great especially when everything else exhaust wise is stock. Here's a clip of that specific "Watomi" one..
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
eBay catbacks are not crap and they sound great especially when everything else exhaust wise is stock. Here's a clip of that specific "Watomi" one..
That did sound good actually, just a tad bit of rasp in the lower end i think, but nice.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by eddie982
That did sound good actually, just a tad bit of rasp in the lower end i think, but nice.
For under $200 shipped are you really going to complain? I sure haven't aside from my muffler originally sitting low because it overstretched my old worn hangars but $5 worm clamps solved that.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
Crazy loud. Don't do it. WS Y and a decent muffler is a must. In a perfect world, a large resonator would do some good too
Largest resonator and largest muffler (5" x 11" x 22")

Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
i still say anything with a resonator and a muffler will sound good enough. especially with headers and an equal length y
I beg to differ, 14" Muffler suck....Get the biggest muffler you can fit under it (5" x 11" x 22" )

Originally Posted by Zach-R
I'm running a Kensai catback from eBay. Replaced the muffler with a turbo muffler. For $170 total I'm happy with it and its pretty quiet considering I've got. Y pipe.
You sure you know what a Turbo muffler is?

Turbo muffler... like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-M-N1-S...920599&vxp=mtr

I'm looking for a deep sound, nothing farty or raspy.
That's not a turbo muffler!!!

Originally Posted by Aflion
Flowmasters tend to give a deep sound for our cars. I had a Flowmaster clone on my first Maxima and it sounded pretty good. I would think a Flowmaster 44 with the resonator cut out would be about what you're looking for.

Maxima Flowmaster Exhaust Rev/FlyBy - YouTube

I would think it would sound close to this, but less raspy since you would keep the cat.
Flowmasters IMO suck and are extremely loud at lower rpm like in city traffic...On the highway it's relatively quiet

I liked the sound. Ok so other than the muffler, i would need the piping behind it as well right.
You can't beat the exhaust system pricing $87....use it for the tubing IMO....

Originally Posted by Aflion
I wouldn't bother with the knock off fart cans.

Flowmaster 942448 Original 44 Series Muffler 2 25" O O | eBay

It's a little under twice as much, but I think you would be much happier with the sound. The Flowmaster style doesn't sound like any other muffler unless the muffler is a Flowmaster clone. If I were you, I would go with the Flowmaster. As for the 8-10% horsepower gain, it isn't going to happen. The best you will get out of just muffler on our cars will be marginal at best. CAI and Y-Pipe will give the best HP gains on our cars. Others stuff gives small gains, if any. But I did notice better throttle response with the muffler.
Flowmaster with a big resonator only....
Originally Posted by luke95gxe
on my 95 i had stock headers and y pipe were stock. I had a flowmaster series 40 with no resonator and i loved the sound here is a clip of that

1995 nissan maxima exhaust - YouTube

ill try and get a video clip of my 97 with headers y-pipe high flow cat an magnaflow muffler
I had the same setup and it sucked!
I have no way of telling really but I know I saw gains. There was a part of my stock catback that was like an inch in diameter like it was smashed flat for about 4-6 inches. Weird.
There's some extra under the curve for sure....
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM

^I meant a nice muffler. Mine is a little smaller than stock, but with a budget y-pipe, stock cat, and straight pipe leading into it, it kills a ton of rasp and nasty sound leaving a solid deep exhaust tone. The brand is nowhere to be found, but it works well and is clearly of decent quality
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Cmax03 I am running a Goerlich Xlerator turbo muffler. It's the same internally as a Thrush turbo. I do in fact know what a turbo muffler is. They were mostly used on old muscle cars back in the day.

Example:
Name:  E47B9805-DA5B-4D2F-A371-92F56DF85276-2895-0000035E0179A827.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  61.3 KB
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Cmax03 I am running a Goerlich Xlerator turbo muffler. It's the same internally as a Thrush turbo. I do in fact know what a turbo muffler is. They were mostly used on old muscle cars back in the day.

Example:
The pic you used to illustrate this was of a canister (Fart Can) type muffler.....Which is a straight thru design.....Turbo Mufflers aren't that at all.....Matter of fact the term came about back in the 60's when the Chevy Corvair Turbo needed a free-er flowing muffler with good sound control....it's basically a reverse flow muffler like Sonic, Dynomax Super Turbo (Which I love except for the short life span)....I was going by the pic I saw not having a pissing contest....
Old 04-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
The pic you used to illustrate this was of a canister (Fart Can) type muffler.....Which is a straight thru design.....Turbo Mufflers aren't that at all.....Matter of fact the term came about back in the 60's when the Chevy Corvair Turbo needed a free-er flowing muffler with good sound control....it's basically a reverse flow muffler like Sonic, Dynomax Super Turbo (Which I love except for the short life span)....I was going by the pic I saw not having a pissing contest....
I never posted a picture of a fart can (straight through design). That was Eddie982. I installed a turbo muffler to replace a fart can that came on my cheap ebay catback. I wanted something that could flow decent and look stock. I even painted the muffler flat black.

You do know your history, your absolutely right about the Corvair. That is exactly where it came from. Not trying to be a tough guy just defending my internet honor.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM

I never posted a picture of a fart can (straight through design). That was Eddie982. I installed a turbo muffler to replace a fart can that came on my cheap ebay catback. I wanted something that could flow decent and look stock. I even painted the muffler flat black.

You do know your history, your absolutely right about the Corvair. That is exactly where it came from. Not trying to be a tough guy just defending my internet honor.
Lol, could you point out your turbo muffler on ebay?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Well I didn't really see my exact muffler on eBay. It's made by a company called Goerlich. Their website is www.apexexhaust.com

However I did find a thrush turbo which is just as good if not better. It has the same dimensions as mine it should fit fine. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=66516881051
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Well I didn't really see my exact muffler on eBay. It's made by a company called Goerlich. Their website is www.apexexhaust.com

However I did find a thrush turbo which is just as good if not better. It has the same dimensions as mine it should fit fine. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=66516881051
It's even cheaper on Amazon- $23.21 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-17715-Thrush-Turbo-Muffler/dp/B00029J3AW http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-17715-Thrush-Turbo-Muffler/dp/B00029J3AW
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 AM

I have an apexi world speed cat back and it sounds really good. I had that paired with a hi-flo cat, warpspeed y-pipe and aem dry-flo hai. Now I have cattman headers, y-pipe, fast-cat and am about to test it again with the same cat-back before selling it and upgrading to 3" piping.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Sorry Zach it was eddie982 not you.....I read it wrong, it was a reply from eddie982 to your quote and eddie982 posted that picture not you.....That definitely is a Turbo muffler.....They sound really good! I used them for years on my D21.....Only thing I don't like is the inlet/outlet offset especially on vehicles with less space underneath!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Again My bad! I apologize!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Again My bad! I apologize!
Its all good brother! Yea I agree that turbo mufflers usually sound good. Ive used them on multiple Civics that had otherwise straight exhaust and while they sounded a bit weird they were significantly quieter. The exhaust looked stock too.

I'm happy with my setup and have actually received compliments on the sound. Atleast from passengers, I have no idea what it sounds like outside the car. I need to make a sound clip now and after I install a 240sx test pipe. I'm going to try and fork out the extra cash for a resonated one since I'm worried it will be too loud for my liking.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM

Yeah, I'm a Magnaflow fan, I've got a 10-12 yr Magnaflow 6" round x 14" long muffler that's been trouble free since 2001 after running thru about 3 Walker Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and thier rust from inside /out reputation and life span in Texas of around 2-3 years....