4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My Max was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Max was stolen

Hello everyone, my '97 SE was stolen last night and found with damage.
I tried to get it back today but they said I had to come back tomorrow because the release wasn't ready.
I didn't see my Max but they recorded the damage as ignition switch, rear seat and scratches and dents. There was also glass on the ground where it was parked so I need a window also.
It was in great shape, 63,000 and loaded. I know it will never be the same.
I live in NJ and Max's are being stolen more often. I wish I had put a kill switch in or pulled the fuel pump fuse like it was suggested elsewhere here. I ask everyone to consider a kill switch because I am in pain over this and do not want to see this happen to you all.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:37 PM

That really sucks man. I remember Sears having a battery with a keyless entry system a while ago. You can unlock and lock the positive terminal or something like that. It was expensive though, aruond $130. I hope everything is okay and paid for, and your Max turn out just like it was before it was stolen. Probably nothing more than joyriders, but I know how much it hurts when the police call and tell you its scratched and dented. Hope you catch the
b*stards who did it.
-Cyrus
Old 01-13-2002, 04:10 PM

Re: My Max was stolen

Where in NJ?
My old civic was stolen in lovely Newark.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
That really sucks man. I remember Sears having a battery with a keyless entry system a while ago. You can unlock and lock the positive terminal or something like that. It was expensive though, aruond $130. I hope everything is okay and paid for, and your Max turn out just like it was before it was stolen. Probably nothing more than joyriders, but I know how much it hurts when the police call and tell you its scratched and dented. Hope you catch the
b*stards who did it.
-Cyrus
I looked into the Sears battery about two months ago. They said they stopped selling it because the signal was interfering with something else I don't exactly remember (maybe an Easy Pass system).
Old 01-13-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: My Max was stolen

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
Where in NJ?
My old civic was stolen in lovely Newark.
That (of course) is where my Max was found.
If you or anyone else has a recommendation for a Body Shop, I'm interested.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: My Max was stolen

That sucks.
Let us know what and how much you pay for a new theft deterrant system..

Originally posted by kmax

That (of course) is where my Max was found.
If you or anyone else has a recommendation for a Body Shop, I'm interested.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:45 PM

That really sucks. I know how you feel though, because on my old 96 SE was broken into and had everything stolen. Insurance was great though and replaced everything and some I got an alarm afterwards and it ended up costing around $800 plus LOL Never had a problem after that

Good luck to you, and I hope your insurance treats you as good as mine did.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:00 AM

Sorry to hear...best of luck!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:51 AM

Thats why I have an aftermarket alarm, the auto break pedal thingy, the auto shield for the steering wheel with the auto club and a shotgun if all else fails..
Old 01-14-2002, 07:03 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Originally posted by HondaKiller718
Thats why I have an aftermarket alarm, the auto break pedal thingy, the auto shield for the steering wheel with the auto club and a shotgun if all else fails..
We'll have to rename you CarThiefKiller. I always found the steering locks & other crap to be a drag to put on. And you can guarantee that the one time you forget / are too lazy to put it on, is the time your car gets nabbed.

I like the passive systems that auto-arm, then you have to press a switch (it can be an existing accessory switch in your car, ie rear driver's side window UP) to disarm the immobiliser. Or even better, have a tiny switch built into the seat belt buckle, and your press it as you put the seatbelt on. Even people who see you get into your car cannot figure out why they can't start it! (don't forget valet override switch!)
Old 01-14-2002, 07:13 AM

pulling the fuel pump fuse is a good idea but what if the people or one of the people that is stealing the maximas is a maxima owner or even a .org owner all they would need to bring with them is an extra set of fuses and they are all set......a "hidden" kill switch would be the best idea or even the hidden switch in the seatbelt is a good idea which was brought up by Scruit!!!!

good luck on getting ur max fixed up and sorry to hear the bad news!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Kevlo for President

man that sucks
Old 01-14-2002, 01:38 PM

You know the kill switch in the seat belt idea is not such a good idea anymore now that it's been posted here. Thanks for letting the secret outta the bag!

Originally posted by hockeyghst
pulling the fuel pump fuse is a good idea but what if the people or one of the people that is stealing the maximas is a maxima owner or even a .org owner all they would need to bring with them is an extra set of fuses and they are all set......a "hidden" kill switch would be the best idea or even the hidden switch in the seatbelt is a good idea which was brought up by Scruit!!!!

Old 01-14-2002, 02:00 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by hockeyghst

i don't know about the fuel pump thing... if the theif knows the location of the fusebox, can't he just pull the fuse from something else, that is less needed, like a tailight fuse or soemthing and put it in the fuel pump slot? Kill switch is a nice idea. i remember parking this Pathfinder with the kill switch wired into the dimmer switch or the power mirror thing. to start it, you had to have your seatbelt on, brake pedal depressed and the switch pushed to some direction. pretty cool
Old 01-14-2002, 02:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for support. I got my Max out of Newark NJ today and into the shop. When I was at the yard I asked if they get many Max's stolen and they said that the Max's are cooling off and the Altimas are getting hot.

I went over the damage and believe me I expected much worse. The front passenger door window broken, it's lower outside molding bent from where a screwdriver was inserted in an attempt to pop the lock.
The rear passenger side opera window smashed. The lower rear seat had a hole in the leather. There are some penciltip size dents in the rear bumper which were probably put there from a cop cars license plate screws hitting the bumper while they pushed it.

Also some trim: interior door panel, emergecy brake handle, shift **** handle all scratched. At first look, the engine/trans sounded ok and the frontend seemed ok. I didn't see any body damage.

Pulling a fuse to prevent your Max being stolen is only good if you have nothing else. But the possibilities of rigging a kill switch are pretty much unlimited.

My Max will be back !!

Old 01-14-2002, 04:29 PM

My Max will be back !!

Good to hear! Consider a Mul-T-Lock system. Alarms can be bypassed.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:59 PM

I forgot to say before that I recently looked at a 97 Grand Marquis that was for sale and it had a kill switch that used a credit card sized key to set. This wasn't something homemade and I guess it was aftermarket and not a Ford creation.

The lock was about 1" by 3" wide and mounted under the dash. The credit card sized key had to be inserted into the lock to start the car. I had searched on the net a while back for a distributor or any info but couldn't find anything.

Maybe this is a good theft prevention device and someone could add some more info on this.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:37 PM

I forgot to say before that I recently looked at a 97 Grand Marquis that was for sale and it had a kill switch that used a credit card sized key to set. This wasn't something homemade and I guess it was aftermarket and not a Ford creation.

The lock was about 1" by 3" wide and mounted under the dash. The credit card sized key had to be inserted into the lock to start the car. I had searched on the net a while back for a distributor or any info but couldn't find anything.

Maybe this is a good theft prevention device and someone could add some more info on this.
wouldnt that be easy to bypass??? unless this device is hidden very well but then it would be a pain for the driver to slide the card it it was in an akward position....i mean im sure uf u breka the device and mess with some wires it could be bypassed.........but maybe not...that would be sweet to have though!