4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Few Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 PM

Few Issues

Hey there everyone, just got a 96' Maxima GXE from one of my friends in my Auto Club, and he told me before I bought it, but I was curious.. What could cause this.. So anyway, when the lights are turned on the gauges have no back light at night.. not too big a deal, but the aftermarket radio has to be set up every time, he told me this happened after someone installed his aftermarket radio (pioneer), the other issue I have is the odometer and trip mete isn't working, but everything else is.. And final issue is, sometimes I hear a squeak in my back left wheel and my front left wheel as I drive sometimes.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM

1) No Back Light in gauges = bulbs blown. Bulb number is 194 or 168

2) Aftermarket radio was not installed properly if it does not hold your presets...did they use an adapter to go to the factory harness or just ghetto rig?? One of the wires (either red or yellow, I cant remember which) from the aftermarket radio needs to be hooked to a CONSTANT power source IE: on which there is power even when the car is off. So you gotta find a fuse or wire you can tap into that always has power running to it.

3) Odometer and Trip meter issue = replace whole gauge cluster with one from a junkyard. No, your mileage will not match so try to find one with similar mileage.

4) Squeaks could be anything and since it's 230AM, I am too tired to think but right off the top of my head, jack up the car, spin the wheels and see what you hear.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 AM

The Pioneer wire harness adaptor I believe is standardized, meaning that all radio manufacturers use the same color coding. In that case there is a yellow wire for the station pre-set memory. I has to connect to the pink/blue stripe wire, pin 6 in the Nissan harness that has 12 volts on it all the time. If this wire is connected, then check fuse # 40, the source of the 12 volts. Fuse 40 is the top most fuse in the right hand column of fuses.

If you get a new instrument cluster, search for how to replace the odometer if you want to keep the mileage reading. I just read a thread on how to do that.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
1) No Back Light in gauges = bulbs blown. Bulb number is 194 or 168

2) Aftermarket radio was not installed properly if it does not hold your presets...did they use an adapter to go to the factory harness or just ghetto rig?? One of the wires (either red or yellow, I cant remember which) from the aftermarket radio needs to be hooked to a CONSTANT power source IE: on which there is power even when the car is off. So you gotta find a fuse or wire you can tap into that always has power running to it.

3) Odometer and Trip meter issue = replace whole gauge cluster with one from a junkyard. No, your mileage will not match so try to find one with similar mileage.

4) Squeaks could be anything and since it's 230AM, I am too tired to think but right off the top of my head, jack up the car, spin the wheels and see what you hear.

So it's just bulbs? 'cause he told me it happened when they were installing the radio, and thanks for the rest of the info.. I can live without the mileage I guess.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Well if it happened while they were installing the radio, they may have fried something. Try pulling it out and check the bulbs (that would be the first thing id do) I think there is a how to video to get it out...look at my sig for a link to pmohr. Either way, you can get that whole cluster with gas, speeding, tach and temp gauges for like $25-30.

And do like Dennis said for the radio...if I recall, that's the same thing I had to do with my pioneer.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the fuse and dimmer switch before you pull anything apart. If you do need to pull things apart, I would start with the radio being that's what caused the issue.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Check the fuse and dimmer switch before you pull anything apart. If you do need to pull things apart, I would start with the radio being that's what caused the issue.

Dimmer Switch....I always forget the simple things
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM

I needed a fuse for the instrument lights, that's fixed.. Now I still have the pioneer unit not saving my settings issue.. hmm..