4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

led problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 09:43 AM

led problem

I replaced the led for the power lock button in the front drivers side my door and when i went to test it my door will not unlock. the door only unlocks if the headlights are on and once you turn them off all the doors lock. i was wondering if anyone has had that happen or if they know what the hell is wrong with my door.

thanx
nick
Old 01-14-2002, 09:47 AM
Administrator

what did you replace them with? same stock one? or did you do something else.. check the harness also.. seems like something screwy with the electrical system..
Old 01-14-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: led problem

Originally posted by nick1020
I replaced the led for the power lock button in the front drivers side my door and when i went to test it my door will not unlock. the door only unlocks if the headlights are on and once you turn them off all the doors lock. i was wondering if anyone has had that happen or if they know what the hell is wrong with my door.

thanx
nick
i replaced all the leds in my driver side window buttons.
I only had a problem with the window lock button, not the all door lock button. My led burnt out. It went from blue to red to amber to burnt out. In my case, when i soldered the led to the board i did not cut off enough lead from the led underneath. So when i put it all back together, the lead pierced through the rubber and touched a chip underneath. This sent voltage to a chip, and ended up burning it out.
So when i turned my lights on, i could put my wnidow up and down. But once i turned my lights off, my driver side window went down. I had to unplug the whole unit. When i plugged it back in, the window switch no longer worked.

BUT my door lock switch still works.

ex of burnt area:
http://www.geocities.com/multiplexor...ndle_error.jpg

Ex of rubber:
http://www.geocities.com/multiplexor...ndle_misc3.jpg

you might have done what i did. Check if the leds leads prieced throught he rubber also. You might have to buy a whole new side unit.
OR find what chip you fried, like i did, and replace it.... But that's probably a ton times harder
Old 01-14-2002, 10:39 AM

a ton times harder??? - u just swapped LED's and all that crap happened?? - i think bolt on mods are just fine for me and i'll leave electrical stuff 2 da big dawgs
Old 01-14-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
a ton times harder??? - u just swapped LED's and all that crap happened?? - i think bolt on mods are just fine for me and i'll leave electrical stuff 2 da big dawgs
hehe with a bit of practice on cheap circuit boards, you'll find soldering pretty easy. I was nervous as hell first time i tried it. But after messing around on some other circuit boards, desoldering and soldering, it became pretty easy. Took me a few hours to get decently good at it

Though you have to big mor cautious with electrical stuff... I was extremely hesitant to play around with electrical stuff. But since playing around with electronics, figured "oh hell!"

hehe