4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cali spec transmission swap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Cali spec transmission swap!

So I've seen a few different threads about auto to 5speed swap and all of them are 95, 96 and 97 I havent seen anything on a 99 cali spec, my question is right now am down to the clutch line and a slave cylinder I pretty much have everything else, is the swap pretty straight forward just like in a non cali spec? Orshould IIget a 99 cali spec 5speed ECU? Thanx for any input and like I said I've searched and read as much as I could find...

Milo.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 AM

You can either get a 5 speed 99 Cali spec ecu, or non Cali spec ecu. If you get non Cali spec, congrats, you have weight reduction opportunities.

However, if you keep the auto ecu, you will throw codes for the A/T. (Cause its obviously not there lol)

And to answer your first question, yes, straight forward. Lol assuming you're following the how-to.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 AM

OTEClimaxx;8803599]You can either get a 5 speed 99 Cali spec ecu, or non Cali spec ecu. If you get non Cali spec, congrats, you have weight reduction opportunities.

However, if you keep the auto ecu, you will throw codes for the A/T. (Cause its obviously not there lol)

And to answer your first question, yes, straight forward. Lol assuming you're following the how-to.[/QUOTE]

Haha yea am following the how to, thanx for the replay man, do u know if i get the 99 cali 5speed ecu do I need to reprogram it?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

No

Some advise: Dump the Cali spec crap, swap over a fed intake and exhaust manifolds and get a fed Y pipe on it. Enjoy the MUCH added power!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 AM

Im sorry but i don't noticed the lack of power of a cali spec car my i30 is quick for what it is. My friend hadtwo maxima auto. And each time i would always come out on top. If he swaps out the .cu wouldn't it have different pin locations for the o2 sensor cause the rear cat isn't monitored on a cali spec but the fed spec it is.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
Im sorry but i don't noticed the lack of power of a cali spec car my i30 is quick for what it is. My friend hadtwo maxima auto. And each time i would always come out on top. If he swaps out the .cu wouldn't it have different pin locations for the o2 sensor cause the rear cat isn't monitored on a cali spec but the fed spec it is.

it's not that the rear cat isn't monitored on the cali, it's that both precats ARE monitored on the cali. This means you Cali folks can't delete the precats and free up all the power without having to deal with your O2 sensors.

FED spec Y is plug and play, Cali spec needs a bit of tweaking, and O2 sims or antifoulers to fool the rear sensors...

But back on topic with the original question, if you keep all your Cali spec emissions, then yes you need a Cali spec 99 ECU to avoid the CEL. Other than that's it's straight forward as already mentioned...provided you're doing it right

BUT!!!! Since you have a 99, you'll need to get the NATS system reprogrammed if you swap ECUs. Otherwise you won't be able to start or drive the car with the immobilizer.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
it's not that the rear cat isn't monitored on the cali, it's that both precats ARE monitored on the cali. This means you Cali folks can't delete the precats and free up all the power without having to deal with your O2 sensors.

FED spec Y is plug and play, Cali spec needs a bit of tweaking, and O2 sims or antifoulers to fool the rear sensors...

But back on topic with the original question, if you keep all your Cali spec emissions, then yes you need a Cali spec 99 ECU to avoid the CEL. Other than that's it's straight forward as already mentioned...provided you're doing it right

BUT!!!! Since you have a 99, you'll need to get the NATS system reprogrammed if you swap ECUs. Otherwise you won't be able to start or drive the car with the immobilizer.
Kool!! Thanx for the reply, I was concerned bout the reprogramof the ecu, the whole swapping to a fed ecu sounds pretty good but would I have issues with the smog crap I live in California and smog checks are our killers!! And also I have a whole 00vi setup that I wanted to swap, how do I deal with that if I go with the fed ecu?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by milo2223
would I have issues with the smog crap I live in California and smog checks are our killers!!
In cali an earlier or fed spec ECU might show as "monitors not ready". If they know it's a cali car they will test it as such and you may fail. Do you test every 2 years or only at purchase, southern/northern?

Can anyone from cali with a 95 swap attest to this??
Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
In cali an earlier or fed spec ECU might show as "monitors not ready". If they know it's a cali car they will test it as such and you may fail. Do you test every 2 years or only at purchase, southern/northern?

Can anyone from cali with a 95 swap attest to this??
Northern, every 2 years...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83

I meant like the ecu pinout. Since the cali precats are monitored and not the main cat when u swap a fed ecu in a cali spec wouldnt that throw it off or not fit?