4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 Maxima Rear humming/shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1999 Maxima Rear humming/shaking

Hey just hoping someone can help me with my max, havent been able to diagnose the humming/shaking sounds comming from the rear end of my car. It only happens now and again when i am applying low pressure to the brake at low speeds. 20km/hr or less. When it starts humming/shaking if i let off the break or press the break harder it stops. I have taken the tire off and the break pads are good. The rotors are a bit worn but there is no catching and realeasing when applying the break. The only solution i have seen is that maybe the caliper is seized..any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM

If its a caliper issue generally the pads on one side will be more worn than the other. I would suggest getting the discs turned they are probably slightly warped and install a new set of pads.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Might be better off replacing the rotors if they are worn heavily. Overtightening lug nuts can warp them.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:49 AM

Sounds like warped rotors to me too. Don't waste your money having them turned, just buy some new ones. They aren't that expensive. Replace your pads too, and if you do the job yourself, the piston on the rear caliper needs to be turned clockwise for it to go in. It DOES NOT just push in like the fronts. If you can't get the piston to turn, or it will not go back in when you DO turn it, you need a new caliper.

Just some foresight advice.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
Sounds like warped rotors to me too. Don't waste your money having them turned, just buy some new ones. They aren't that expensive. Replace your pads too, and if you do the job yourself, the piston on the rear caliper needs to be turned clockwise for it to go in. It DOES NOT just push in like the fronts. If you can't get the piston to turn, or it will not go back in when you DO turn it, you need a new caliper.

Just some foresight advice.
Harbor freight tools sells a rear brake caliper tool for like $4 bucks, beats getting cut up and lessens the risk of tearing the rear piston boot.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New rotors and pads

Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I figured it was probably the rotors and pads..ill try to get that figured this weeked. Ill let u know if it fixes the issue. Good feedback!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New rotors/Pads too thick for caliper...

So i ordered front and rear brakes (rotors and pads). When i went to put on the rear pads and rotor the caliper wasnt big enough to fit over the new brakes (too thick). I turned and compressed the caliper piston as much as it would go and it isnt the problem, its the actual caliper wont fit. im thinking my buddy gave me parts that dont fit. Also i couldn't get the bots to remove the front rotor off. Dont have a heat device, any other good suggestions to get these rusty/seized bots out. Appreciate any advice.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Colly3
So i ordered front and rear brakes (rotors and pads). When i went to put on the rear pads and rotor the caliper wasnt big enough to fit over the new brakes (too thick). I turned and compressed the caliper piston as much as it would go and it isnt the problem, its the actual caliper wont fit. im thinking my buddy gave me parts that dont fit. Also i couldn't get the bots to remove the front rotor off. Dont have a heat device, any other good suggestions to get these rusty/seized bots out. Appreciate any advice.
The rear piston should turn in flush with the caliper face; if it doesn't try opening the bleed valve and see if it will go the rest of the way in. If it still won't, you need new calipers.

Re the front, the rotor doesn't bolt onto the hub, so not sure what bolts you are referencing. If you are having trouble with the bolts for the caliper and/or the caliper bracket, then soak them in something like PB Blaster overnight, then get a 1/2 inch breaker bar. Even better is an impact, if you have access to air tools. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ya bots for the caliper bracket are super tight/siezed, ill try the pb blaster tonight. thx