4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My maxima doesn't wanna start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My maxima doesn't wanna start

I have a 99 maxima. About 2 weeks ago my car wouldn't start. It wouldn't say nothing. I got a starter and it fixed the problem with it not wanting to start. Now my car doesn't wanna crank unless I pet the accelerator. I got a new fuel pump and Filter but it still doesn't wanna crank unless I press the accelerator a couple of times. The runs fine it just doesn't wanna crank. My check engine light Is also on but it's but on for years. What can the problem be?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Check your codes. Just because it's been on for years doesn't mean there isn't a new code. It's not like it gets brighter with every code or something. Lol.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Let me get this straight...

It wouldn't start, but a new starter fixed that.
Now it doesn't want to crank unless you pet the accelerator? Can you explain how you pet your accelerator? Like a dog or cat?
Now it doesn't crank, yet it runs fine? How do you get it to run without cranking? Oh wait, you pet the accelerator. OK - got it. Sill curious to see you pet the pedal.

The check engine light is on for a reason. It's purpose is to alert you to a problem that your engine is having. Ignoring it or that fact that it's been on for over a year means you have neglected to find out what's wrong with the car for over a year...

Pet your accelerator, get it to crank and run then drive to AutoZone and have them pull the codes for free. You can come back here with a video of how you pet the accelerator (I'm curious) and also post the codes that were pulled and we will be happy to help you further along with your no start, cranky petting problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM

I don't know what your problem can be, but check your codes first.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The check engine light is on for a reason. It's purpose is to alert you to a problem that your engine is having.
Aww man, really? I thought it was there to add ambiance to the nighttime cruising down the highway experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 PM

The check engine light has been on for years but doesn't seem to be the issue?? I mean really, I am against emissions testing but for people like this, it will prevent them from driving around with a check engine light for years...
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximase99
I have a 99 maxima. About 2 weeks ago my car wouldn't start. It wouldn't say nothing. I got a starter and it fixed the problem with it not wanting to start. Now my car doesn't wanna crank unless I pet the accelerator. I got a new fuel pump and Filter but it still doesn't wanna crank unless I press the accelerator a couple of times. The runs fine it just doesn't wanna crank. My check engine light Is also on but it's but on for years. What can the problem be?

It sound like you don't have good fuel pressure
Any fuel smell somewhere?
If you want to correct the code, go to the battery and remove the negative terminal for 5 minutes. Then reconnect it
Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM

sometimes i miss the 15 post rule....
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM

^
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Let me get this straight...

It wouldn't start, but a new starter fixed that.
Now it doesn't want to crank unless you pet the accelerator? Can you explain how you pet your accelerator? Like a dog or cat?
Now it doesn't crank, yet it runs fine? How do you get it to run without cranking? Oh wait, you pet the accelerator. OK - got it. Sill curious to see you pet the pedal.

The check engine light is on for a reason. It's purpose is to alert you to a problem that your engine is having. Ignoring it or that fact that it's been on for over a year means you have neglected to find out what's wrong with the car for over a year...

Pet your accelerator, get it to crank and run then drive to AutoZone and have them pull the codes for free. You can come back here with a video of how you pet the accelerator (I'm curious) and also post the codes that were pulled and we will be happy to help you further along with your no start, cranky petting problem.

Ok, I don't know why maybe it's because I'm on some heavy duty Codeine right now because I'm sick..but I just read this and laughed my *** off for like 15 mins straight! holy shiit that was funny

But OP, seriously check your codes just Because your CEL has been on for "years" doesn't mean you don't have any new problems.