4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen turbo kit ....very close!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 06:33 PM

4th gen turbo kit NOW WITH PICS!

I have been sharing this info with people on the CO board...but thought I would like to share it with you guys too! I have found a guy here in CO who can and is willing to do a turbo kit. He gave me a preliminary estimate of $2600 to $3000...he said that was conservative...

Today I went in to get a more accurate quote - measure piping and stuff. Well the quote came in a little higher than I thought it would. I will list what it comes with also...I still need some details but this is what I have so far:

Kit 1 - non-intercooled $2700
Kit 2 - with Spearco intercooler and piping (need to clarify size) $3400

What's included:
Here's what's in the kit:

1. Turbo TO4e from Turbonetics 60 trim 0.7 to 0.81 A/R (your choice)
2. Deltagate external wastegate
3. exhaust pipes (Customize existing Y pipe 2.5" and provide piping to and from Turbo, powder coated steel - upgrades available)
4. Oil line
5. 2 oil dumps.
6. exhaust flanges to and from turbo
7. fuel pressure regulator (Vortech 8:1)
8. general fittings
9. turbowrap
10. Clamps, connectors etc..
11. Spearco intercooler with piping (option) Custom made 28" X 7.8" X 3.5"

Warranty - manufacturer's for all parts
- piping (to be negotiated)
- engine ... none

Emissions - TBD

Power gain - approx 80 HP (conservatively)

You can run this kit up to 20lbs of pressure. Mine will be set at 5-7 to begin with...

What is NOT included (options):
high flow fuel pump (recommended but not essential) GSS342
larger fuel jets/rail (not required)
Tial wastegate upgrade $50 (not required)
Blow Off Valve (up to you)
Turbo timer (up to you)
shipping cost
labor

He will do a pretty good deal on install for you...you would have to talk to him....or me...

If you are interested let me know, we might be able to get some form of group deal.

I am fronting some extra cost over this cos I am doing it first. You guys will benefit. I don't want him to build a jig if no one else is interested. Let me know! I am going to do it. It will take him about 1 week to get the parts and 1 week to do all the fitting work. I go in next week!

Old 01-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Administrator

watchout.. here come the haters

you can't do a turbo kit for that cheap

In Before Turbo Max, Maximamike and Jeff
Old 01-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
Old 01-15-2002, 06:41 PM

We'll see!

Oh by the way the piping is all Mandrel bent pipes welded together in case you were wondering.

And he uses new Turbos not remanufactured. I intend to show you nay-sayers! Are you interested if I can pull this off? Hey I am taking all the risk here right now!
Old 01-15-2002, 06:47 PM

I am interested if you can pull it off, and you should come to the meet on saturday to do a preturbo dyno.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by nigelcmf

We'll see!

Oh by the way the piping is all Mandrel bent pipes welded together in case you were wondering.

And he uses new Turbos not remanufactured. I intend to show you nay-sayers! Are you interested if I can pull this off? Hey I am taking all the risk here right now!
you got me and matt calder here.. we are interested..

Canuck.. where your ugly as$ been hiding?

Jason i always wondered why your name is Canuck and you are not canadian
Old 01-15-2002, 06:54 PM

you got me and matt calder here.. we are interested..

Canuck.. where your ugly as$ been hiding?

Jason i always wondered why your name is Canuck and you are not canadian
I have been lurking a lot, since I am always at school. I am a Canadian I just happen to live in the US. You gotta go where the green is
Old 01-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Canuck

I have been lurking a lot, since I am always at school. I am a Canadian I just happen to live in the US. You gotta go where the green is
i guess thats why they call that thing in my wallet a Green Card
Old 01-15-2002, 06:59 PM

i guess thats why they call that thing in my wallet a Green Card
Mine too, I just got mine a couple of months ago!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Mine too, I just got mine a couple of months ago!!!
you been here forever.. someone was not legal
Old 01-15-2002, 07:06 PM

you been here forever.. someone was not legal
I was on a work visa and then on parrol(sp) For 2 years while waiting for my Green Card.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Administrator

I was on a work visa and then on parrol(sp) For 2 years while waiting for my Green Card.
yeah i was here on a work permit too
Old 01-15-2002, 07:44 PM

WOOHOO!

Turbo...
Old 01-15-2002, 07:45 PM

*singing* Blame Canada, Blame Canada!

Damn, i wish our Navy had as many Mounties and Rowboats as yours

J/k, all in good fun. BRING ON THE FLAMES!!!
Old 01-15-2002, 07:46 PM

yeah i was here on a work permit too
damn refs
Old 01-15-2002, 07:56 PM

This sounds like some thing I want to do but I have to pay my max off first. Will this guy still be willing to do this in a year, or would that be a good thing. (more experince)
Old 01-16-2002, 07:11 AM

Yeah guys

This is no joke. I have an official quote from him for this...that's where I got the details listed above. I am going to see if I can take photos at every step...or as often as possible. The only extra cost he warned me of was the possibility of battery relocation if there is not enough room. That would be $150 additional.

I will be talking to him more about other kits he might consider. For those on a budget, he may consider doing remanufactured turbos as part of the kit...if they are available.

Lastly, this price is for org members only...but that shouldn't matter anyway since only people on the org would know about this anyway. But you have to say you are from the org.

I will not reveal the name of this guy until after it is complete and I am satisfied that he has done a good job.

It is a performance shop that specializes in Japanese imports. They do a lot of custom turbo work..that's all I can say right now.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm interested...

Where in Co.???
Old 01-16-2002, 07:24 AM

Interested here too, good luck I hope everything works out ok!
Old 01-16-2002, 08:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I hope you guys aren't going to ever run 20 psi.....

BOOM!!!

Old 01-16-2002, 09:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was hoping for a good 35psi....

Old 01-16-2002, 09:18 AM

Uncle Max's turbo project = $6000 thus far.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:33 AM

someone here is gettin very excited .......3400 bucks - sounds too good to be true.....and about the Y pipe included......if this thing is for real i wont buy the pipe from cattman
Old 01-16-2002, 09:44 AM

If it was a single turbo setup, wouldn't there just be one exhaust pipe? And wouldn't that one exhaust pipe be *attached* to the turbocharger? Or is the guy at your shop in CO talking about running it off only one exhaust header?

Does anyone follow me on this, or am I being a moron?
Old 01-16-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by justmax
If it was a single turbo setup, wouldn't there just be one exhaust pipe? And wouldn't that one exhaust pipe be *attached* to the turbocharger? Or is the guy at your shop in CO talking about running it off only one exhaust header?

Does anyone follow me on this, or am I being a moron?
The guy in CO is talking about running it off of the y-pipe, so it would run off of both banks of cylinders. At least that's what I gather from the info here.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:17 AM

The Y pipe design is rather interesting guys. I will ask him to draw his proposal for you....

What it is is it runs just like your regular Y pipe down toward the flex section. Just before the flex section it bends back round and up to the engine bay. The air ram will need to be removed (and potentially the battery). The turbo sits just in front of the throttle body and airbox.

I have a cold air intake he is going to adapt to fit. I would recommend that especially if you don't want the intercooler since the air ram will be removed.

Anyway, from the Turbo there will be a 3" pipe that goes back down to the cat and rest of the exhaust system.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:55 AM

like i said in the other Turbo Posts, if you make it and its a complete functional reliable turbo kit then i will be 100% in. But i am still waiting on the 5 other people in the process of turbo kits.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

20Psi on a an already high compression engine... I think nigel is sane with 5-7psi but just hope noone pushes past 15... I really doubt the VQ could take it without being built

good luck though! I'd love to see em!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I'm a potential buyer, but i need to see some results.
Does he make his own y-pipes? hows ECU affected by this?
It's troublesome that turbo sits too close to the TB.
He could make turbo run on only 1 bank, called asymetric turbo, like some Saabs. This set up would cost less and be safer if he used front bank only, there is alot of room down there.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:29 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

hahah nooooo...he sounds like he has an idea whats going on...i juss think the price will be revised later on thats all. Its still low, espically counting labor..
Old 01-16-2002, 11:30 AM

Turbo is good!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Originally posted by MaximaRider
like i said in the other Turbo Posts, if you make it and its a complete functional reliable turbo kit then i will be 100% in. But i am still waiting on the 5 other people in the process of turbo kits.
if you wnat something OEM reliable then this or any turbo kit is not for you. Any turbo kit even if its tested is gonna have some kind of probs. overheating, detonation, more things breaking, hoses crack or die from the heat. (Even work on a Supra TT?) the list can go on...

i have a question about the shop tho, will they waranty products or work? what happens if someone accidently blows their head gasket or motor? will they take responsibity? if it was running on the preset boost level?
Old 01-16-2002, 11:48 AM

Just like everyone else is saying, if it works good and if you're not blown up after a little while of using it, then I'm in.
Turbo95max, good question about the warranty, I wanted to know the same thing..
Old 01-16-2002, 12:29 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Having a turbo on the car is different than having a turbo max that can run 12s. $6000 is with a stand alone ignition and fuel system. Parts and installation for that alone is around $3000.

Originally posted by deezo
Uncle Max's turbo project = $6000 thus far.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:22 PM

As far as warranty is concerned, I will have to discuss the details with him.

Obviously, he cannot be responsible for things that may be the installers fault...blowing up an engine by setting 20 lbs of boost and things like that.

For Turbo failure, if it is a manufacturing defect, I am sure he will entertain it...this would go for piping also...if it is a manufacturing defect.

What do people like Greddy do?

We are getting a little ahead of ourselves here....I want to make sure we have a workable kit here first. Details for shipping, warranty and customizations we can work out later. (I've had many emails about this!)

Give us a week to start (get parts ordered)
1-2 weeks for fitting and install
2-3 days for the miscellaneous stuff (shipping for those interested)
Old 01-16-2002, 05:42 PM

Okay

So I didn't manage to speak to the owner, I spoke to one of his guys in the office. And apologize for a slight misunderstanding over price.

I need to clear up a couple of things:

1. I told him I was on a tight budget. He will be using my existing Y pipe...I just put it on so it's new. If you want to ship him a Y pipe, the price will be the same, if not then the price will be additional...I'll have to speak to the owner to straighten out the exact cost...probably $230 or so is my guess.

2. On the warranty stuff...it's mostly manufacturer's warranty for parts (turbo, wastegate and intercooler). The piping warranty I'll have to work out with the owner. He cannot and will not guarantee your motor will not explode....and he will challenge you to find a turbo manufacturer who will warranty a normally aspirated engine to work with a Turbo. Also you are able to set the boost to anything up to 20 lbs so he definitely can't do that. Get your engine compression checked before installation because if your compression is already bad, this will speed up the deterioration. If you don't like these conditions DON'T BUY!Does Place Racing/WSP guarantee their CAI's will not damage your motor? I know the is highly unlikely thing to happen but it is possible with a CAI. What if your motor blows up after you put on a y pipe...do you think Cattman/Stillen/Warpspeed would accept responsibility?

3. These kits are not CARB certified... whatever that means...I am not sure...he said very few kits are...only Greddy make "CARB" certified...and they don't do one for the Maxima anyway.

4. I also asked about passing emissions - This guy didn't know for sure but said if it can pass with a Y pipe without precats then it should be able to pass with the turbo....but again he wasn't 100% sure....have to ask the owner.

Anyway, they will be placing my orders tomorrow. It will take 1.5 weeks to start not 1 week... I will try to put all this information together into my original post so it is convenient to see what you get all in one place...
Old 01-16-2002, 07:53 PM

Is there anyone who makes just exhaust manifolds for turbo? I may be interested in piecing my own turbo together..
Old 01-16-2002, 09:30 PM

Re: 4th gen turbo kit ....very close!

Originally posted by nigelcmf
I have been sharing this info with people on the CO board...but thought I would like to share it with you guys too! I have found a guy here in CO who can and is willing to do a turbo kit. He gave me a preliminary estimate of $2600 to $3000...he said that was conservative...

Today I went in to get a more accurate quote - measure piping and stuff. Well the quote came in a little higher than I thought it would. I will list what it comes with also...I still need some details but this is what I have so far:

Kit 1 - non-intercooled $2700
Kit 2 - with Spearco intercooler and piping (need to clarify size) $3400

Here's what's in the kit:

1. Turbo TO4e from Turbonetics 60 trim 0.7 to 0.81 A/R (your choice)
2. Deltagate external wastegate
3. exhaust pipes (Customize existing Y pipe 2.5" and provide piping to and from Turbo, powder coated steel - upgrades available)
4. Oil line
5. 2 oil dumps.
6. exhaust flanges to and from turbo
7. fuel pressure regulator (Vortech 8:1)
8. general fittings
9. turbowrap
10. Clamps, connectors etc..
11. Spearco intercooler with piping (option) Custom made 28" X 7.8" X 3.5"

Warranty - manufacturer's for all parts
- piping (to be negotiated)
- engine ... none

Emissions - TBD

You can run this kit up to 20lbs of pressure. Mine will be set at 5-7 to begin with...

He will do a pretty good deal on install for you...you would have to talk to him....or me...

If you are interested let me know, we might be able to get some form of group deal.

I am fronting some extra cost over this cos I am doing it first. You guys will benefit. I don't want him to build a jig if no one else is interested. Let me know! I am going to do it. It will take him about 1 week to get the parts and 1 week to do all the fitting work. I go in next week!

imo the price is reasonable if thats just for the kit. but to4e!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are you thinking, do you know how that
is going to be????? i hope there's a typo there like a t3 in
front of the to4e. a straight to4e is OVERKILL for your app.
also what fuel pump is included?
Old 01-16-2002, 09:40 PM
OG

Where at in Colorado? Denver, Aurora, Englewood, Boulder, The Springs, where?
Old 01-16-2002, 09:59 PM

Re: Re: 4th gen turbo kit ....very close!

Originally posted by skimax

imo the price is reasonable if thats just for the kit. but to4e!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are you thinking, do you know how that
is going to be????? i hope there's a typo there like a t3 in
front of the to4e. a straight to4e is OVERKILL for your app.
also what fuel pump is included?
Well this was the advice of the "expert" I did check out what you said and I think you are probably right....I have to admit it! However, there is not a big cost diff between this and the T3. I think it was like $40...but I am not sure. I did ask about the T3 though.

I checked it out and you probably don't need this (TO4e) unless you have a 3.4L engine running @ 6000 rpm and 12 lbs of boost. You can run a T3 on ours to about 14-15 lbs. I will ask more details on this though.

In any case, I think he would allow you to select your own turbocharger. That is all negotiable. This is all custom not one size fits all. Thanks a lot for bringing this up! Any comments about the other stuff?

The price is for kit only. I am in the middle of negotiating price for install. What do you think would be a fair price for install? It kind of depends on how long it takes them to fit mine out also...but reasonable feedback would be good.

Oh for fuel pump...that's stock...this is a budget setup remember. You should be OK at 5-7 lbs of boost. Go much higher and he recommends getting a Walboro or better. I think Walboro's are around the $150-$180 mark.

As far as exhaust work is concerned, he uses a muffler shop here. Don't know if they would be willing to do the pipework and just sell that.

Quick Reply: 4th gen turbo kit ....very close!