4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a/c suddenly disengaged

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Sorry, another a/c thread. So while driving I was running my ac full blast when all of a sudden it seemed like the ac clutch just suddenly disengaged on its own. I shut the ac on and off and it wold make a weird grinding noise, but wouldn't engage. After a few minutes I turned on the ac again, it made that grinding noise again but it did engage. After a few minutes it disengaged again. What could be wrong? I already replaced the ac compressor pulley and clutch plate about 6 months ago from a junkyard. Is my entire compressor on its way out? Or should I have bought the parts new instead of from a jy?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 09-02-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM

The 95-96 A/C compressors do cycle on and off on its own. Normal operation besides the grinding noise. Either your clutch is bent or the clutch bearing is on its way out.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
The 95-96 A/C compressors do cycle on and off on its own. Normal operation besides the grinding noise. Either your clutch is bent or the clutch bearing is on its way out.
Thanks for your response. I really didn't know the ac cycled on and off. As for the bent clutch, that could be the culprit. It didn't come off from the junker car easily. I'll have to watch it closer.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM

The clutch is slipping. When the car is cold the ac starts up beautifully. After the test drive I turned the ac off and back on and got the grinding squeal again. Popped the hood open and turned ac on. Noticed the clutch plate wasn't even spinning while the grinding and squeal was present. I ran real quick to shut it off and hit my head on the way in

Oh and could the teeth on the compressor be damaged. That would be a nightmare.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax
The clutch is slipping. When the car is cold the ac starts up beautifully. After the test drive I turned the ac off and back on and got the grinding squeal again. Popped the hood open and turned ac on. Noticed the clutch plate wasn't even spinning while the grinding and squeal was present. I ran real quick to shut it off and hit my head on the way in

Oh and could the teeth on the compressor be damaged. That would be a nightmare.
If you are referring to the teeth (splines) of the A/C clutch, yes it is possible but very very rare.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM

I bought a new bearing and clutch plate. Found out I bought the wrong bearing but anyway, the bearing still spins freely so I only replaced the clutch plate. A/c won't even engage anymore. I double checked 4 times already. I didn't lose the shim or anything. The splines are all fine. I swapped relays around too, but no dice. Is it safe to assume I killed my compressor?

Edit: and I just remembered that I forgot to mention in the first post that the problems didn't begin til I stupidly pressed the ac button many times while driving.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 10-01-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 AM

I bought a new bearing and clutch plate. Found out I bought the wrong bearing but anyway, the bearing still spins freely so I only replaced the clutch plate. A/c won't even engage anymore. I double checked 4 times already. I didn't lose the shim or anything. The splines are all fine. I swapped relays around too, but no dice. Is it safe to assume I killed my compressor?

Edit: and I just remembered that I forgot to mention in the first post that the problems didn't begin til I stupidly pressed the ac button many times while driving.
If you only replaced the clutch plate, how much spacing does it have from the pulley itself? If it has too much space, it will not engage. The clutch should be very close to it but not close enough to hear rubbing contact.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM

I don't understand, its in as far as it can go. Its not rubbing either. I tapped it with a rubber mallet and took it apart many times to no avail. My only guess is that my compressor happened to also leak all the refrigerant or I killed it with my stupid button pressing.

Edit: should i try it without a shim?

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 10-06-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM

I don't understand, its in as far as it can go. Its not rubbing either. I tapped it with a rubber mallet and took it apart many times to no avail. My only guess is that my compressor happened to also leak all the refrigerant or I killed it with my stupid button pressing.

Edit: should i try it without a shim?
You can try it without a shim to see what happens. Also, if the A/C light on the button is still green and the wire is connected to the compressor, it should be good unless your Freon leaked out from another location. It will not leak out from removing the clutch plate.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom

You can try it without a shim to see what happens. Also, if the A/C light on the button is still green and the wire is connected to the compressor, it should be good unless your Freon leaked out from another location. It will not leak out from removing the clutch plate.
Could I have blown something from pressing the button too much? Maybe even something happened with the compressor oil. Electrical seems to be fine. I bought a gauge to check the low side pressure, but I can't even get the compressor running to check the pressure. I'm probably missing something obvious. I'll try the shim idea. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Could I have blown something from pressing the button too much? Maybe even something happened with the compressor oil. Electrical seems to be fine. I bought a gauge to check the low side pressure, but I can't even get the compressor running to check the pressure. I'm probably missing something obvious. I'll try the shim idea. Thanks for your help.
If there is not sufficient Freon in the system, it will not engage the clutch. You can get the reading without the A/C running. How much are you reading?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Well, its a leak. The gauge barely even moves.