4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Parting out '99 Max; have '98 Max - what to save?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 AM

Parting out '99 Max; have '98 Max - what to save?

I have a '99 SE Limited Max that was in a front end accident (200K miles). I bought a replacement '98 SE (85K miles). I have grabbed a few items off the '99 and installed them on the '98, but now it's time to part it out and then scrap it. I don't want to stockpile stuff for no reason, or keep stuff that's likely to be junk at 200K miles, but I figure there may be a few items that would be pricy to replace that I should hold on to.

What would you save off the '99 if you were doing the same? Keep in mind the 200K miles in the Northeast ... it's very rusty underneath.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 AM

I would def save major components like the a/c compressor, alternator, starter, condensor, radiator, etc.

also things from the engine like coil packs, injectors, spark plugs. those are always great to have extra laying around.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So your 99 SE limited had perforated leather and gold tinted SE wheels? Swap 'em out dude!

Nice find on the 98 SE with 85K miles...stickshift?

While gutting the 99 SE I would also take (if so equipped);
gage cluster
auto-climate control unit
Entire Bose system (HU, amps and speakers) PLUS the harness.
SE Limited floormats
Both axles still good (boots intact?) Maybe get those too.

Many of the things if you don't use them can be sold here on the org.

It would be such a shame if that SE limited was red. With the black perforated leather that was THE most unique 4th gen Maxima.

Last edited by dwapenyi; 09-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
So your 99 SE limited had perforated leather and gold tinted SE wheels? Swap 'em out dude!

Nice find on the 98 SE with 85K miles...stickshift?

While gutting the 99 SE I would also take (if so equipped);
gage cluster
auto-climate control unit
Entire Bose system (HU, amps and speakers) PLUS the harness.
SE Limited floormats
Both axles still good (boots intact?) Maybe get those too.

Many of the things if you don't use them can be sold here on the org.

It would be such a shame if that SE limited was red. With the black perforated leather that was THE most unique 4th gen Maxima.
Black, not Red. Replacement is an auto but from a little ol' lady in GA, so it looks like a car with half the miles. Only problem was the crappy wood trim... I swapped the '99 console to take care of that.

It has the perforated, but unfortunately there's a small tear in the driver's seat and some of the vinyl on the side is slightly damaged, so I kept the lower mile leather in the '98. Could be fixed by someone who really wanted the Limited interior.

When you say "plus the harnass" on the Bose, is there a section that disconnects in the dashthat is unique? Or are you suggesting thefull harnass complete with speaker wiring, etc? Is there an amp somewhere for the speakers or does it all drive out of the head unit?

Wheels are titanium. Could use a touch up but I'll be keeping those . The newer car came with standard silver... those will likely go out for sale.

Last edited by BobMax; 09-05-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax
...When you say "plus the harnass" on the Bose, is there a section that disconnects in the dashthat is unique? Or are you suggesting thefull harnass complete with speaker wiring, etc? Is there an amp somewhere for the speakers or does it all drive out of the head unit?.....

You should get the Bose HU and the 4 speakers with the amps. They're mounted together so when you take a speaker out, the amp comes out with it. Plus, you should get the wiring harness that connects them all together. It is unique...that skeleton goes from the Head Unit dash to each front door and under the carpeting to the rear speakers. If the 98 has Bose then no biggie, but I'm sure you could sell the entire system to someone on the org. The Bose system in the 4th gen was very good.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:54 PM

I think you should save the next to lowest slat on the left side center vent for this guy
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aburn95
I think you should save the next to lowest slat on the left side center vent for this guy
If you seriously need those vent parts, PM me your address. I pulled the center console out already and I think the vents are still intact. The outer surface is junk (wood grain issues) but the vents were OK and I think they came out intact. Let me know how much you of it you need and I'll cut you a deal you can't beat.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM

How do the axles look? Are the boots torn? I have a 95 auto both sides are in bad shape, I would pull the throttle body, iacv, egr valve, starter, maf, coils, radiator if its not leaking, battery, alternator, camshaft pos sensor, fuel injectors just To name a few.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
JvG

I would think about which parts were replaced in recent years, either by yourself or previous owners. These parts have more life left in them than original parts.

I would also think about all sensors. These are small chunks of concentrated money. You will be able to fix cel codes quickly. Other items that are older, like the alternator, starter, etc can get you car going again when the part on the newer car fails. While these parts cannot be depended on long-term, they can be installed quickly when money is tight.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
How do the axles look? Are the boots torn? I have a 95 auto both sides are in bad shape, I would pull the throttle body, iacv, egr valve, starter, maf, coils, radiator if its not leaking, battery, alternator, camshaft pos sensor, fuel injectors just To name a few.
Keep in mind that the IACV and EGR system between the 98 and 99s are quite a bit different even though they look the same. On my 98 I30 my IACV has 4 connectors, but on my friend's 99 I30, his has 3 connectors. Yet both our cars are cali spec models. I think the 99s also have an electrically driven EGR valve whereas the 98s EGR valve is driven by vacuum.

Those Nissan engineers were busy with the 99 VQ motor experimenting with future emissions stuff for the 2000 model.

So saving those type of parts would be strictly to sell them to another org member with a 99 cali VQ.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and the pointers on the '98 / '99 differences. The '99 is also a CA emissions car, so I assume that leads to some other differences in the controls.