4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i know this has been asked before, but i did search!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

i know this has been asked before, but i did search!!

..and found no definitive answers! i am gonna be puttin all 3 new o2 sensors on my 98 gle, i would like feed back on which brands people have had good luck with ? searched rockauto, oxygensensors.com and a few more! and found that there is a 20 dollar minimum difference on some of the same sensors at different sites, ...im gonna be doing a road trip here in the near future and want it to be getting the best mpg as possible!ive been doing some severe preventative maintainance since i got the gle! (huge tranny cooler and flush, pcv, gas filter etc.) and also i need to replace both axels ..does anyone have good or bad feedback on either napa or autozone lifetime ones? im not going nissan oem (to much cash) id rather put a new rebuilt in every three yrs if need be than spend the cash on an oems!!plus before i leave for the trip i wanna buy a few oem used coils to have in the trunk(I think thats a good idea) along with my tool kit...im so happy to have found this gle so far (knock on wood x 100000)its been a great car that gets almost 4 cylinder mpg i thought i was lucky finding a 98 gle with only 100k from original 70 yr old owner (and she was a maintainance fiend!) which is good!!very soon i am throwing some new struts on also ..probabaly gonna go with monroe quickstruts(i know not the best, but adequate) im not sure how bad the susp. is but with 100k its probbaly just riding on the springs ?..i plan on driving this car til its totaled(god forbid) or the cows come home..i do love everything about it..the leather is mint, everything works..so far i hit the jackpot! im gonna see if i take care of her like a baby if i can hit the 300k club!!!gonna clean the maf also this weekend !people here say thats huge !!thanks so much .org you guys have been an unmeasurable help since ive become a .org member!!!thanks again!!!
brad
"LISEN TO METAL!" (%$#%$ RAP!!)
sorry for the babbling!!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Got Retrofit?

Bosch or Denso.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

and axels?

[QUOTE=ChrisMan287;8862224]Bosch or Denso.[/QUOTE

And what about remanufactured axels?(i know they suck) but with lifetime warrantee ill replace em every 3 yrs and not care as long as they keep
paying for em...what do you think are better napa, autozone or any other nationwide parts stores???
Old 10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Napa brand seem to hold up, probably the best youll get other than oem. Raxle axles used to be the golden ticket but the guy stopped making them sadly.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Napa brand seem to hold up, probably the best youll get other than oem. Raxle axles used to be the golden ticket but the guy stopped making them sadly.
wasnt raxels almosyt as much as new oem nissans??
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
wasnt raxels almosyt as much as new oem nissans??
Hell no. $180 plus core vs $600.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

unless other people chime in on the axels situation i think i will go with ur reccomendation..since napa is just down the road, and tey have lifetime warrantees to boot!1
Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

"$180 plus core vs $600."

DAM....i didnt think that the oem nissans were even close to that price!!!!napa....here i come!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM

just make sure you replace the seals with oem ones, aftermarket suck and don't fit or last. had my napa axles on for over 3 years with no issues.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=max ride 41;8862272]just make sure you replace the seals with oem ones, aftermarket suck and don't fit or last. had my napa axles on for over 3 years with no issues.[/QUOT

The seals must be pretty much rubber o type seals? and do they just push in? ive talked to alot of people and none of them have ever changed a seal when doing axels on an a/t....may have been cuz they just werent bad but how do you tell if you need em??or is it something that since your doing it you may well do it?

thanks again!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im also curious as to whether it is worthwhile to replace the axle seals (m/t if that makes a difference) as a preventitive measure. From what i gathered its a pita, and generally the seals should be okay as long as you dont mush them during the axle install. Opinions?

Also, not to change the subject, but ive read many a time that when changing axles its a good idea to flush out and change the tranny fluid. However it is to my misfortune that in the 122k miles my 99' has been around the fluid has never been changed, at least not to my knowledge. Ive been told by a couple of friends who are more mechanically inclined than i that it may be best to not change the fluid if its never been changed.

However, as im not aware of my tranny having any issues or slippage (not that i know - this would be easily recognizable correct? Ive never driven another 5spd so i have nothing to compare) i feel that in my case changing the fluid would be benefitial. Any ideas, opinions, or recomendations on this matter?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM

just like with any seal, once you loosen it and try to re-use it it sometimes does'nt sit straight or slip back in place right. seeing as how i had 180,000 and i did both right and left axels i figured i'd not tempt fate and just did both with oem ones and no leaks so far.
and, as far as the fluid goes, i changed mine but not when i did the axle. i had fresh fluid when i replaced the trans 4 years ago and waited and just did a drain and fill. that"s the front 5-6 quarts of the fluid as you want to mix old with new and not flush a high mileage tranny cause that'll affect the selenoids possibly cleaning whats holding the trans together.
trust me, i flushed the trans at 155,000 and at 178,000 she started slipping.

Last edited by max ride 41; 10-10-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im also curious as to whether it is worthwhile to replace the axle seals (m/t if that makes a difference) as a preventitive measure. From what i gathered its a pita, and generally the seals should be okay as long as you dont mush them during the axle install. Opinions?

Also, not to change the subject, but ive read many a time that when changing axles its a good idea to flush out and change the tranny fluid. However it is to my misfortune that in the 122k miles my 99' has been around the fluid has never been changed, at least not to my knowledge. Ive been told by a couple of friends who are more mechanically inclined than i that it may be best to not change the fluid if its never been changed.

However, as im not aware of my tranny having any issues or slippage (not that i know - this would be easily recognizable correct? Ive never driven another 5spd so i have nothing to compare) i feel that in my case changing the fluid would be benefitial. Any ideas, opinions, or recomendations on this matter?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Is your car a 5-speed? Change it. GL4 fluid only.

The advice about not changing old tranny fluid applies to automatics, and even then, you can do a gentle change where you drop the old auto-tranny fluid, then replace with the same amount thru the dipstick. Never use a flushing machine on an old automatic tranny.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM

YES REPLACE THE SEALS.

When I bought my car, I had new axles installed. Fast forward to a year and a half later (this summer) I finally took it in to diagnose a tranny fluid leak. it was the axle seal. I bought OEM axle seals and now no more leak.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Well what i did was buy new axles not rebuilt also when you get them spray silicone on the boots makes good against elements..Also check your knock sensor for any cracks if ok will help with mpg ,plugs ngk and sensor denso direct fit ...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

seals

Originally Posted by nissan99
Well what i did was buy new axles not rebuilt also when you get them spray silicone on the boots makes good against elements..Also check your knock sensor for any cracks if ok will help with mpg ,plugs ngk and sensor denso direct fit ...
when i get my reman axels (prob napa) i will take ur advice and get some axel seals from nissan....the question i have is ...i have an auto tranny and when i slide the axels out to replace them , do the new nissan seals on an auto just push in nice and easy?or can it be a headache??
thanks for oyur input!!