4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need your guys opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM

I need your guys opinion.

I need yours guys opinion. I bought a 1996 maxima on Feb. of this year for 2,600 with 136,000 miles. It turned on the first try, it rode smooth, good brakes, no tranny problems it was clean inside out. As soon as I bought it the problems started out of no where. Replaced starter and ignition switch. The tranny just started to jerk a bit on 2 to 3rd gear. The right front strut makes a rusted scratchy sound. I need to replace all rotors. when at a red light it feels like its going to turn off and rpm goes below 500. At times as I turn the key the car dont start. it seems to be the cable that goes to the batteryas it was loose last time and it fixed the problem but it just started doing it again. It has 147,000 miles now n I only manage to get 220 miles per tank on 91 with 60 hwy 40 city. About 20mpg. I want to get a 1999 G20 to replace the maxima but im undecided if I should just do a tune up, change the tranny when it stops working, replace all rotors and find out if my strut is busted. I only have about 500 bucks on me n the money of whatever I get for the maxima if I plan to sell it. What would you guys do?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Are you capable of doing the work yourself?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex
Are you capable of doing the work yourself?
I might only be able to change the rotors. Im a student with no job I mostly rely on my financial aid from school. I get about 2600 every 4 months. Plys I got a 3500 loan I only got 1700 this semester I get the other half next yr. Might start looking for a part time. I commute about 24miles to go and come back twice a week. So I kinda regreted getting the maxima
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by autovq3.0
I might only be able to change the rotors. Im a student with no job I mostly rely on my financial aid from school. I get about 2600 every 4 months. Plys I got a 3500 loan I only got 1700 this semester I get the other half next yr. Might start looking for a part time. I commute about 24miles to go and come back twice a week. So I kinda regreted getting the maxima
You're in a tough spot. I would try to fix the car, but prioritize first. Figure out what's most important and then what you are able to do. Piece by piece my friend.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, it's just a college car. Use it for what it's for, point A to point B.

And I certainly wouldn't buy another car if you have no money. You never know what is going to be around the corner with another car. Have you checked the tranny fluid?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex
You're in a tough spot. I would try to fix the car, but prioritize first. Figure out what's most important and then what you are able to do. Piece by piece my friend.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, it's just a college car. Use it for what it's for, point A to point B.

And I certainly wouldn't buy another car if you have no money. You never know what is going to be around the corner with another car. Have you checked the tranny fluid?
I had a tranny flush about 4 months ago. The color looks about right and it doesnt smell burned and I see no metal particles. I need noticed a few times ill be cruising about 35, 40 n when it was close to its shifting point it would shift it self into the other gear. Idk if additive would help
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by autovq3.0
I had a tranny flush about 4 months ago. The color looks about right and it doesnt smell burned and I see no metal particles. I need noticed a few times ill be cruising about 35, 40 n when it was close to its shifting point it would shift it self into the other gear. Idk if additive would help
To be honest, I would just nurse the thing along. Take good care of it and do what you can with it. I'm sure if worse came to worse, you could find a cheap tranny to swap in.

As far as additives, I would give it a whirl. Poke your head around and do a search of the forum.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM

As for the trans problem, check your drop resistor. I have a 96' I just purchased and was having hard shifts. It had a bad drop resistor. It's located on the drivers side strut tower right behind the airbox. A quick ohm test with a multimeter will confirm if it's good or bad. I believe it should show 12ohms across the 2 terminals if good.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM

If your transmission isn't doomed, you should be able to fix the remainder problems one at a time. Check your entire suspension -- bushings first. If your suspension is making noise, it's probably be cause these are bad. Most cars with that many miles need new front control arm bushings badly. Even with worn out springs and struts, it makes a world of difference and doesn't cost near as much. As far as a tuneup goes, there isn't much magic besides changing things that are dirty and addressing ECU codes. Are you getting a "Check Engine" light? There's a sticky all about that.

My 95SE went through all the same kinds of problems at 150K miles, but we've reached the other side at 180K miles and I swear it's running and driving better than it has for 15 years.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ugufru
If your transmission isn't doomed, you should be able to fix the remainder problems one at a time. Check your entire suspension -- bushings first. If your suspension is making noise, it's probably be cause these are bad. Most cars with that many miles need new front control arm bushings badly. Even with worn out springs and struts, it makes a world of difference and doesn't cost near as much. As far as a tuneup goes, there isn't much magic besides changing things that are dirty and addressing ECU codes. Are you getting a "Check Engine" light? There's a sticky all about that.

My 95SE went through all the same kinds of problems at 150K miles, but we've reached the other side at 180K miles and I swear it's running and driving better than it has for 15 years.
A while back my check engine light came on but I was confused at that time I had no problems at all besides an ignition switch. I dont think a bad ignition switch would cause it to turn on. Like after a week later the light went out. And nope it wasnt my gascap. I did change the ignitiin switch weeks after the light went out lol so dont really know what caused it to turn on. And at times when I turn on the car my od starts flashing. I heard that it has to do somethinh with the transmission.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Maxima is much better then a g20. The engine has a crappie oil feed system, and expensive to fix it the alignment gets bad. Only if they used the ka24 engine from the same gen altima much better engine
Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM

I'm in the same spot you are. Just fix it as you go. Take care of that tranny fix. A spill and fill May fix the issue.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM

First thing is good luck with the car, hope all goes well if you do decide to fix.

O/D light flashing on startup is indeed the system detecting fault in the tranny. Take it to a proper mechanic, they can actually pull the code from the TCM itself when this happens.

Usually this will be a faulty solenoid valve detecting improper voltage drop, as it says in the FSM.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Does your college have a automotive tech coarse. They might be cheap or free for students.