4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axles + bushings + strut fix - what else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Axles + bushings + strut fix - what else?

Hey gents, in the near future i intend on replacing my front axles. I also picked up ES bushings for the lca's, swaybar and end links. I also need to mess around with my struts a bit - squeaking due to non existant rubber isolators are giving me grief.

Since all these are more or less clustered together, would it be best to tackle them all out at the same time? Also, im highly considering having new moog balljoints pressed in while i have everything apart, is this a worthwhile preventive measure? If it makes a difference i am running KYB AGX's with HR springs, and the original mounts/strut bushings/etc were not replaced.

Mainly, what else would you guys recommend tackling while all this is being done? If the parts are relatively inexpensive id rather throw new ones in and never (knock on wood) need to touch my front suspension again then do all this and have to rip it out for something silly, AND pay for another alignment.

Any suggestions, dos and donts are welcome. Appreciate the help everyone!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Do it all at once. Toss the AGX's, they ride horrible.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would go ahead and do inner and outer tie rods. They are a pain, but if you change all of that and don't change those, you are going to be back in there soon to change them.

And yes, I would do them all at once. You will not enjoy the job.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys, appreciate the recomendations. And yeah its going to be absolute hell especially considering its cold as hell out.

As for the AGXs, i never rode anything else besides those and 120k old Oem. Are they really 'that' terrible that i should replace them? Im only 3.5k into them, and not very concerned with ride quality; however if performance is an issue i may have to consider it. Because im an idiot i neglected to save the receipt for the AGXs so i have no solid proof other than perhaps a few pics of them boxed up w/ EXIF data - that being said it would more or less be a huge loss on my part. Unless theres solid performance gains to be had ill just stick it out.

Again, thanks!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Thanks guys, appreciate the recomendations. And yeah its going to be absolute hell especially considering its cold as hell out.

As for the AGXs, i never rode anything else besides those and 120k old Oem. Are they really 'that' terrible that i should replace them? Im only 3.5k into them, and not very concerned with ride quality; however if performance is an issue i may have to consider it. Because im an idiot i neglected to save the receipt for the AGXs so i have no solid proof other than perhaps a few pics of them boxed up w/ EXIF data - that being said it would more or less be a huge loss on my part. Unless theres solid performance gains to be had ill just stick it out.

Again, thanks!
I wouldn't change them. Besides, if you decide to do it later, THAT is not a hard job.

I would trade the Florida heat in which I did mine for the cold anyday.

The absolute worst part is the outer tie rods.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Haha, heat > cold, nothing worse than having frozen hands and scraping your knuckles when your wrench slips. Then again the grass is always greener..

Overall how long do you guys think this whole job would take? Im thinking if i can get two days off in a row my ignorant **** should have enough time to do it.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Haha, heat > cold, nothing worse than having frozen hands and scraping your knuckles when your wrench slips. Then again the grass is always greener..

Overall how long do you guys think this whole job would take? Im thinking if i can get two days off in a row my ignorant **** should have enough time to do it.
Probably. Depends on whether you have the right tools and the problems you run into.

If the lca bushing is frozen to the rod, you will have to torch it off and possibly dremel off the sleeve. If you are prepared for that its fine. But, if you have to make three trips to the store....

How are you pressing the bushings into the lca?

Getting the outer tie rods unfrozen is awful. Getting the boots on the inners is a pain.

End links and ball joint nuts should be no problem even if frozen because you aren't keeping them.

Short of it, you can get it done in two days if you are prepared. Read the forums in advance so you are ready for each problem and learn the tricks. Make sure you have the tools. Learn the tricks to speed things up.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 PM

tools needed

Little bit of advise: Go to the auto parts store and rent the inner tie rod removal tool, also rent the lower ball joint press. On the outer tie rod end hit the nuckle/spindle once the castle nut is removed, it will seperate easily with force. The tools really make the job easier, just did all of the above with the addition of both lower control arm bushings in 6 hrs.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:31 AM

Replace every bushing you can with polyurethane!