4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 maxima refuses to pass Maryland inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:46 PM

95 maxima refuses to pass Maryland inspection

Hello, I am new to the forums. I bought a 1995 maxima with 250xxx on the chassis and 50xxx on the motor and transmission for near nothing because it didn't pass Maryland inspection. It was to low to the ground because the previous owner lowered it 3 inches, the airbag light is stuck on, and because it has racing headers, racing catalytic converter, and a racing muffler, it runs real rich and after about 10 minutes of idling it will stall. I fixed the suspension issue, but I don't know what to do about the airbag light and the stalling. is there a way to disable the airbag light when the engine is on? And what can I do about the engine running rich? I'm willing to put some money in it considering I got it for 500 bucks.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:06 PM

You need a new airbag module to resolve the airbag light being on, I have one if you need it, do you have a check engine light on at all? Any codes? Possibly ur 02 sensors are bad as well or your idle air control valve is bad
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
You need a new airbag module to resolve the airbag light being on, I have one if you need it, do you have a check engine light on at all? Any codes? Possibly ur 02 sensors are bad as well or your idle air control valve is bad
No, I don't have a check engine light and it's not giving off any codes. The previous owner said it's just cause it runs rich. He says I should increase the idle speed but that would burn up my engine and it would
cracked my heads in the cold. And I am interested in your airbag module.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:08 PM

You might have a burned out bulb for three check engine light. My cel never comes on, but my code scanner picks up codes.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM

I will read the codes again in the morning and let you know. And the blub isn't burned out because when u turn the key to on the engine light is lit.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Is your airbag light steady on? If so, you definitely need a new module but you may want to send maxfever1987 a pic of the module to ensure you get the correct one. Do they conduct the smog test on the car? They cannot hook up the OBDII connector to it so I am unsure what is failing here.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:49 PM

It's obd1 and the airbag light flashes. Previous owner says he punched the wheel one day it it's been on ever since. I think I didn't pass not because of a code but because it stalls out if it idles to long. I don't know why it would fail because of that but apparently in Maryland it makes you fail.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
You might not need a new airbag module to resolve the airbag light issue. My 95 had that light on when I bought it I was told it needed a new module. Rather than spend the extra cash on a module I tried the reset procedure first (http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/max...bag-light.html). Now here I am over 4 years later and the light hasn't come back again.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The exhaust is not causing the engine to run rich. The signals from the MAF, TPS and o2's are what control a/f ratio. When was the last time a full service was done?
Clean the TB, IACV, plugs, air filter and MAF. Set the default idle speed. As long as the o2's are working correctly, it should run correctly. Get a scanner on it, 95's are obd2.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 AM

The 95's have both OBDI and OBDII plugs in them. The OBDI is down near the fuse panel by the drivers' left knee. The OBDII plug is under the dash by the glove box.
Airbag reset should help you get the light off but it can be a tricky sequence to get it to work the first time.

Nothing beats a good maintenance regimen to keep a Max/I30 running properly.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jfactor
You might not need a new airbag module to resolve the airbag light issue. My 95 had that light on when I bought it I was told it needed a new module. Rather than spend the extra cash on a module I tried the reset procedure first (http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/max...bag-light.html). Now here I am over 4 years later and the light hasn't come back again.
Thanks so much. 1 problem down. I was looking for how to reset that light forever.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Also I have decided that I'm done fiddling with my car and I decided to simply get it dealt with at my local garage. They said they think it has something to do with a faulty mass air flow sensor so I told them to just do whatever is needed so it passes inspection. Thanks to all for your help
Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
The 95's have both OBDI and OBDII plugs in them. The OBDI is down near the fuse panel by the drivers' left knee. The OBDII plug is under the dash by the glove box.
Airbag reset should help you get the light off but it can be a tricky sequence to get it to work the first time.

Thanks for that tidbit of info about the OBDII plug ABIGBRAIN. That's going to be very helpful for me in the future.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN

FWIW that's not 'OBD-I', that's Nissan's proprietary CONSULT connector. You'll see this up to '99, when Nissan stopped using it.

My old sig pic:

Unfortunately you won't find anyone that will OBD-II emissions check a '95 model year regardless of OBD-II compatibility, many are stuck in the ONLY 96+ mindset.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned

air bag light

I may be mistaken, but if you have to have the air bag light off ...cant you just take the cluster out and remove the bulb for the air bag like you ca for the cel bulb?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
I may be mistaken, but if you have to have the air bag light off ...cant you just take the cluster out and remove the bulb for the air bag like you ca for the cel bulb?
No, you can not do this because if the light does not light when you first turn your key to the on position you automatically fail.