4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PO1320 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM

PO1320 code

I have a 98 Max with 215,000 miles and have the PO1320 code. The car runs great, the coils have all been changed and the code remains. I noticed when the CEL goes off (either when I remove the code or when the light goes off by itself), the car idles at a higher RPM for a while, then when the light comes back on it idles normally. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much.

Last edited by Wolcottmax1; 12-29-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-signal.html

follow this thread... GL

Originally Posted by Wolcottmax1
I have a 98 Max with 215,000 miles and have the PO1320 code. The car runs great, the coils have all been changed and the code remains. I noticed when the CEL goes off (either when I remove the code or when the light goes off by itself), the car idles at a higher RPM for a while, then when the light comes back on it idles normally. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 PM

What brand coilpack?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM

Purchased the coils from the local Nissan dealer.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think i read that the wiring for the engine harness can become slightly loose in area and vibrate just enough to trigger this code.

Ive been plagued by this for the last 2 weeks, my cars misfires when its cold and wet. Im waiting on gaskets to arrive so i can try cleaning my TB and IACV, not sure if it could help but i thought i read in the past that a dirty iacv can cause cold weather issues.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slamrod
I think i read that the wiring for the engine harness can become slightly loose in area and vibrate just enough to trigger this code.

Ive been plagued by this for the last 2 weeks, my cars misfires when its cold and wet. Im waiting on gaskets to arrive so i can try cleaning my TB and IACV, not sure if it could help but i thought i read in the past that a dirty iacv can cause cold weather issues.
Is your misfire allways the same cyl.? ive read alot of threads about the spark plug tube seals leak sometimes and get some oil that builds up in the tube causing misfires...not sure if ,that was the case that it would only do it when cold...so far ive never had oil in my plug tubes(knock on wood) but i may be worth checking out as i said ive read about this issue quite a few times on the .org
Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Check the harness where it bends near the right strut tower. Known area for harness breaks.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
Is your misfire allways the same cyl.? ive read alot of threads about the spark plug tube seals leak sometimes and get some oil that builds up in the tube causing misfires...not sure if ,that was the case that it would only do it when cold...so far ive never had oil in my plug tubes(knock on wood) but i may be worth checking out as i said ive read about this issue quite a few times on the .org
The codes dont show any misfire, and then the next day itll show multiple cylinder misfire. It comes and goes when it feels like it, for example ill start the car and go to the store, and itll be misfiring when i come back out to leave, and then on the way home fix itself. The codes themselves seem to like to change with no clear pattern, although i stopped bothering to check at this point.

Ill look into the harness issue, if that is indeed the problem then how can i go about fixing it? Will it require a whole new unit?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:16 PM

At the dealership, we find and repair just the damaged wires.

Also, check your coil grounds... Usually 2 6mm bolts next to each other on top of the motor somewhere.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just want to update on this issue. I still have the problem but it appears it is indeed occuring from a problem with the harness. The other night i was idling in a parkinglot when my car suddenly began running rough with retarded timing. I shut off the car, poked around, and remembered this thread - i saw part of the harness that runs right below the throttle cables had a split in the wire covering. I wiggled it around a little and when i started my car again it was running fine.

Tonight, similar occurence. I left work and got in my car and it was doing the stupid misfire thing again. While the car was running i popped the hood, and jostled the same spot of the harness a bunch. Lo and behold the misfire/retarded timing went away!

So, either its just coincidental circumstances, or this one area of the harness is the problem. It appears the throttle cables juuuust barely rub the covering here. I *think* this was the split in the harness that was earlier mentioned to be a common problem area.

Either way ill be sure to take a few pics when its daylight out. As for now it seems to be what is causing my codes, and if i confirm it is, i need to figure out how to fix it permanently rather than playing with it constantly.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM

Thanks guys for the idea. I'll check the harness and ground bolts.