4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Light tapping noise coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM

Light tapping noise coming from engine

almost every time i start my 98 maxima, there is a light tapping noise that sounds like its coming from the top of the motor, like around the rear valve cover. what should i do, should i be concerned???
Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Apparently this is extremely common, considering it is probably just the injectors... injecting.

But in all seriousness many people have this complaint - the injectors for our car are pretty loud.

Is this a new issue? Also if you can get a sound clip that might help in allowing you to rest assured.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Thats what I've been told, but I don't think its the injectors,it sounds more the the valves tapping. I will go see if I can take a video of it... oh and yes this is a new issue
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM

I finally got he video to upload its on my youtube channel. Dylan Murphy.

Last edited by Dylan Drift-King Murphy; 01-08-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
100% chingon

Nothing to do with valves. Sounds like the timing chain, tensioner shot? Pretty loud, not nice at all.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by clive
Nothing to do with valves. Sounds like the timing chain, tensioner shot? Pretty loud, not nice at all.
im not sure what it is, is it really bad?? and i forgot to mention that the noise at the beginning of the video was the heater turning on.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM

Is it just at start up? When did it start? Could be a cheap anti drain back valve in the oil filter. Replace the filter with another brand and top up the oil.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Is it just at start up? When did it start? Could be a cheap anti drain back valve in the oil filter. Replace the filter with another brand and top up the oil.
it does it lightly at idle but mostly and is the loudest on a cold start. and this started a few weeks ago. hmmm i wish i could get a better video..... sounds more like valves... and also, it was a little low on oil but i put another quart in it but it still does it all the same
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car makes the same noises your describing. Louder on a cold start. Its a constant ticking that doesnt really get louder but it ticks faster as the rpms go up. Oil level doesnt make a difference on mine sounds the same all the time. Sounds like valves or lifters.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM

Possibly a sticky lifter or valve train. what kind of fuel are you using? Try using some premium with a higher octane for a while and see what happens and like previously suggested it just aswell could be a noisy timing tensioner with bad bearings aswell. Have you put a stethescope on it to try to pinpoint where the noise is travelling from? Another thing you could do is do a flush on your next oil change to help clean out any contaminants and use a thicker viscosity oil to dampen the noise and quiet it down a little but i'd still work on diagnosing the source. Maybe the previous owner didn't keep on top of their regular oil changes but again i wouldnt rule out the tensioner so get out your stethescope. asand1 was not only recomending you to top up your oil the important part he was trying to get across to you was try changing your filter possibly due to a cheap anti drain back valve. Doesn't hurt either seeing a good filter is only $10. Might not hurt to try if you decide to do a flush and use a thicker viscosity oil.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-09-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Possibly a sticky lifter or valve train. what kind of fuel are you using? Try using some premium with a higher octane for a while and see what happens and like previously suggested it just aswell could be a noisy timing tensioner with bad bearings aswell. Have you put a stethescope on it to try to pinpoint where the noise is travelling from? Another thing you could do is do a flush on your next oil change to help clean out any contaminants and use a thicker viscosity oil to dampen the noise and quiet it down a little but i'd still work on diagnosing the source. Maybe the previous owner didn't keep on top of their regular oil changes but again i wouldnt rule out the tensioner so get out your stethescope. asand1 was not only recomending you to top up your oil the important part he was trying to get across to you was try changing your filter possibly due to a cheap anti drain back valve. Doesn't hurt either seeing a good filter is only $10. Might not hurt to try if you decide to do a flush and use a thicker viscosity oil.
Damn, are you a mechanic... lol. But that is all a great idea. I usually run 89 octane or sometimes 87 octane with NOS Octane Booster. In the next couple of weeks im going to be changing the Valve Cover Gaskets, Intake Manifold Gaskets; Changing the Oil/Oil Filter with Castrol GTX High Mileage/Bosch Oil Filter, and replacing the Spark Plugs with Bosch Platinum Fusion IR4 Spark Plugs and I was also thinking about putting some Lucas Oil in when I change the Valve Cover Gaskets and the Oil.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan Drift-King Murphy

Damn, are you a mechanic... lol. But that is all a great idea. I usually run 89 octane or sometimes 87 octane with NOS Octane Booster. In the next couple of weeks im going to be changing the Valve Cover Gaskets, Intake Manifold Gaskets; Changing the Oil/Oil Filter with Castrol GTX High Mileage/Bosch Oil Filter, and replacing the Spark Plugs with Bosch Platinum Fusion IR4 Spark Plugs and I was also thinking about putting some Lucas Oil in when I change the Valve Cover Gaskets and the Oil.
Supposed to use ngk spark plugs.

But.... that wont help the OP.

Edit: oops you are the OP.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 01-10-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan Drift-King Murphy
I'd have to say i agree with powertothemax. Go with the ngk iridium plugs or ngk platinums at the least and dont bother with the lucas. You could just get a $7 bottle of kleen-flo engine flush and put it in your crankcase then run the car just above idle for 5 minutes then drain the oil and add your new oil and filter but if you really want to run smooth go with a good synthetic instead of adding any additives like lucas but if by chance you do go with synthetic it's good to stick with synthetic and i would just use a higher octane gas at fillups instead of wasting your money on octane booster and unless you have a vacume leak or are changing injectors i'd just leave your intake manifold gaskets alone and unless you have oil leaking onto your engine i wouldn't bother with the valve cover gaskets either but if you are having any of those issues then yes go ahead and change them.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.