4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

serious issues starting and misc....need help! fast....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 AM

serious issues starting and misc....need help! fast....

so im having some really crappy issues right now in the extreme cold in the northeast. I came out this moring and it took me about a half an hour to start my 96 max. NOw i got to work and the battery is completely dead and the car will not start at all.

I went a head and bought a new battery with 770cca, and put a brand new starter in it. I tried to start it and the car still wont start. I alos noticed that my factory alarm will not work at all, aswell as my locks and my windows. On top of all that the door lights on both front doors will not shut off either.

If anyone has any ideas on what to do HELP! My car is stuck in front of my job at the moment.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Better start checking all your fuses....

Also, just a FYI...

Last edited by The Wizard; 01-08-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM

Check anti-thief relay, you might blow the relay and immobilize the car, the relay is under hood, on passenger side relay box, swap it with windshield wiper relay and try, if you can start the car, then the relay is bad.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Thanks guys Ill try this out as ASAP... and repost results..
Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Boogies96
so im having some really crappy issues right now in the extreme cold in the northeast. I came out this moring and it took me about a half an hour to start my 96 max. NOw i got to work and the battery is completely dead and the car will not start at all.
So you successfully started it and drove it to work? How long after you got to work did you discover the battery was dead?
I went a head and bought a new battery with 770cca, and put a brand new starter in it.
If the original battery was able to give you 30 minutes of starting attempts, it sure wasn't the problem. Was the starter easily cranking the engine? If so, that was also an unnecessary replacement.
I tried to start it and the car still wont start.
Are you getting a strong crank now, but it simply wont fire? Have you checked for any stored error codes? Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?
I alos noticed that my factory alarm will not work at all, aswell as my locks and my windows.
Check fuses and fusible links in the engine compartment.
On top of all that the door lights on both front doors will not shut off either.
This was more then likely the cause of your dead battery. Perhaps a door switch is frozen or the light switch is in the on position.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogies96 View Post
So you successfully started it and drove it to work? How long after you got to work did you discover the battery was dead?
Quote:
I went a head and bought a new battery with 770cca, and put a brand new starter in it.
If the original battery was able to give you 30 minutes of starting attempts, it sure wasn't the problem. Was the starter easily cranking the engine? If so, that was also an unnecessary replacement.
Quote:
I tried to start it and the car still wont start.
Are you getting a strong crank now, but it simply wont fire? Have you checked for any stored error codes? Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?
Quote:
I alos noticed that my factory alarm will not work at all, aswell as my locks and my windows.
Check fuses and fusible links in the engine compartment.
Quote:
On top of all that the door lights on both front doors will not shut off either.
This was more then likely the cause of your dead battery. Perhaps a door switch is frozen or the light switch is in the on position.

As far as the battery I was told by advanced that it was firing at 600cca and was about at 67% but I just figured that I would by a battery with more ccas just to help.

The starter was on its way so I just figured a new one would help, plus the cranking is now alot stronger.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Okay Okay so the car still isnt staring after replacing the anti theft relay... And I ran the obdII scanner and recieved a bunch of codes....0505, 0400, 1335, 0136, 0135, 0155, 0705....

Any suggestions would be great.....
Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Okay Okay so the car still isnt staring after replacing the anti theft relay... And I ran the obdII scanner and recieved a bunch of codes....0505, 0400, 1335, 0136, 0135, 0155, 0705....

Any suggestions would be great.....
Looks like the car has multiple issues, bank right bank O2 sensor, EGR, missfire. Clean your MAF first, clear the code and see.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 PM

OKay so i Flashed the ecu no longer getting the codes but still having all of the same issues... Car still wont turn overr and the windows, and locks wont work.... and the door lights stay on even with the doors closed... I also checked to make sure that none of the door switches were stuck and theyre good... Any Ideas????????
Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Have you fully charged the battery and checked fuses?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM

OKay so i Flashed the ecu no longer getting the codes but still having all of the same issues... Car still wont turn overr
So you cleared the codes without troubleshooting or fixing the issues causing the codes? Clearing codes wont fix anything, they just tell you why its F****d up. Your car probably had a hard start issue before, that was exaggerated by the cold weather.

the windows, and locks wont work.... and the door lights stay on even with the doors closed... I also checked to make sure that none of the door switches were stuck and theyre good... Any Ideas????????
You have a bad switch keeping the lights on, keeping the alarm from going to sleep, and killing the battery, or the BCM is just bad. You need to get a voltmeter and test the switches.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Not sure about your door lights and alarm issue but if you charge the battery or get a boost and it's still not cranking over maybe your gas lines froze up or you have possibly flooded the cylinders from trying to crank it over too much. Try pulling the plugs to see if they're wet. If so dry the plugs pull the fuel pump relay and crank it a few times to dry the cylinder out a little then replace the plugs and and try cranking it with with some cables or a quick charger on the battery to boost it and for those cold days make sure you top up your tank so you dont get condensation and add some gas line anti freeze.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Few things you can do, charge the battery fully, check the battery terminal connections, check the fuel pump fuse, pull out driver side master door/winder switch, unplug it, wait for few seconds and plug it back in, that will reset the BCM (Body Control Module) if BCM is still good.