4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Humming rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Humming rear tire

My right rear tire (i think) is humming i can only notice it when im 40+ mph, very annoying on the highway especially. I just rotated the tires, (the sound was there before and still is after rotating). I checked for play in the wheel thinking a bearing may need to be changed but there is no play at all, the tires have nothing stuck in the tread like nails rocks, ect. And seem to be wearing correctly and have about 80% tread left. Wheels are balanced correctly. Just recently had the car aligned, Brake pads calipers and rotors are under a year old and in good shape, and have new struts & springs. I know i am in bad need of trailing arm bushings on both rear sides, not sure if that could be a culprit somehow... Any help would be apriciated
Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Are the tires wearing even?(not cupping)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 PM

The road that you're driving on...is it a new road compared to one you normally take ?

When I was living in the country and took the highway home for the weekends to the city I always heard humming and could swear its my car, even pulled over several times until I noticed that it only happened until I got into city limits

so check for patterns, the speed it happens....road surfaces...does it hum under braking etc.

can you feel a vibration in the wheel or seat ?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 AM

Honestly, regardless of the fact that you haven't felt play in the hub, I'd go ahead and pull it and inspect the bearing for wear, damage and the condition/status of the grease pack.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 AM

its all the time regaurdless a new or old road... only really noticible on the highway, but it is slightly there around 40+ mph the tires are all wearing correctly and evenly.. i know my rear suspension is in neeed of trailing arm bushings and a new lateral link dont know if that could be related
Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Honestly, regardless of the fact that you haven't felt play in the hub, I'd go ahead and pull it and inspect the bearing for wear, damage and the condition/status of the grease pack.

Are the rear bearings as much of a ***** as the fronts are... cause i know that i did my front bearings and it was a whole weekend job and it was a pain in my ***. I would love to do both rear bearings but not if its going to be a whole weekend thing again cause thats my only transportation and it cant be up on jacks for days, if u know how i would go about pulling the hub and bearing out i would appriciate it
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
also i know that you can buy the rear hub with the bearing already pressed into it which would save me some time and $$ would i get this from a nissan parts dealer? cause i wont use anything but oem
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maxterror
The road that you're driving on...is it a new road compared to one you normally take ?

When I was living in the country and took the highway home for the weekends to the city I always heard humming and could swear its my car, even pulled over several times until I noticed that it only happened until I got into city limits

so check for patterns, the speed it happens....road surfaces...does it hum under braking etc.

can you feel a vibration in the wheel or seat ?
No vibration in streering wheel or under braking there is nothing but the sound, no change in driving no change in how it takes bumps just obnoxious unnessesary humming
Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Some tread patterns tend to give a fair bit of road noise depending on the tires but other than that it sounds like a wheel bearing especially if it's coming only from one side.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Some tread patterns tend to give a fair bit of road noise depending on the tires but other than that it sounds like a wheel bearing especially if it's coming only from one side.
After just taking it on the highway sound seems to be present from both rear tires and after about half hour of driving the humming becomes less present
Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Patm-a32
After just taking it on the highway sound seems to be present from both rear tires and after about half hour of driving the humming becomes less present
Are the 2 rear tires a different make than the fronts? Generally you would hear a wheel bearing humming more as your getting up to speed or slowing down.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Are the 2 rear tires a different make than the fronts? Generally you would hear a wheel bearing humming more as your getting up to speed or slowing down.
Nope all matching tires, only reason i dont believe it to be a wheel bearing is cause 1 i believe it to be coming from both sides 2 there is no play at 12 & 6 or 3 & 9 and 3 it wasnt there one day and it was there the next day out of nowhere
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM

I had that noise once it was the tires which was bad. I put that tire in the front and the noise was gone from the back and came to the front. My tires were worn which was the problem. I put Michelin primacy tires and no more noises. Drives real smooth. Quality tires give u a quality ride and better steering.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
I had that noise once it was the tires which was bad. I put that tire in the front and the noise was gone from the back and came to the front. My tires were worn which was the problem. I put Michelin primacy tires and no more noises. Drives real smooth. Quality tires give u a quality ride and better steering.
I rotated the tires sound stayed in the same spot