4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Subframe collars anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 PM

Subframe collars anyone?

So i've been reading up ever sincing replacing all fron end suspension parts and still have a bad vibration, wheel hop, and rough ride when hitting bumps. I've replaced struts, ball joints, end links, tie rods, LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, all 4 motor mounts, axles, strut mounts, inner tie rods. I still get a very bad vibration or shake when hitting bumps i.e. reflection lights on the road or small cracks/bumps, etc.

I've been reading as much as I can and came across a thread about tightening up the subframe as those bushing wear out and you can get subframe collars sold by someone on the org to correct this for like $90. I also came across a thread on the 5th gen section about a DIY subframe collar using washers. So i'm not sure if the premade ones are the same for the 4th and 5th gen but from the pictures they look the same. Does anyone know or has anyone done the DIY subframe collars using washers for the 4th gen? Does it use the same size washers as the 5th gen and same amount, etc?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Wheel tire size & pressure?
Steering rack bushings?
Is it coming from worn rear suspension bushings?
Describe the vibration better, is it felt in the steering, chassis, and at what speeds?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 AM

Wheel size is 15" and pressure is 32 psi. Steering rack bushings have been replaced as well. It just feels like going over rough road or just very tiny bumps my car shakes like crazy. I know it didn't use to do this when I first got it back the past year it's been like that. I've replaced the tires as well. I feel it the most in the steering wheel I would say. Even when just starting the car I feel the steering wheel has a big jerk one time. What exactly are the rear suspension bushings?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by metalgod3082
Wheel size is 15" and pressure is 32 psi. Steering rack bushings have been replaced as well. It just feels like going over rough road or just very tiny bumps my car shakes like crazy. I know it didn't use to do this when I first got it back the past year it's been like that. I've replaced the tires as well. I feel it the most in the steering wheel I would say. Even when just starting the car I feel the steering wheel has a big jerk one time. What exactly are the rear suspension bushings?
Your wheel jerked one time, just starting it up sitting still?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM

It seems worse when I'm starting the car cold. It feels like a clunk one time then I can just kinda feel it vibrating/shaking.