4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My muffler.. imploded?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My muffler.. imploded?

In all seriousness im really not sure what you would call this. I have a Greddy sp2 catback that has some rattling issues. After checking it out, i found that a tiny section of pipe (evidently not SS like the rest of the catback) that extends from the outlet inwards into the mufflers baffling area, has broken off and is now loose in the muffler.

Not the best picture to see what i am describing but that was the best i could get. Shot from the muffler outlet, you can see where the section of pipe broke loose due to what appears to be rusting.

For those of you who have experienced an exhaust setup that produces the "bees in a can" noise, understand my pain here. Im really not sure how to go about getting that piece of pipe out. Ive been considering either using two sturdy rods to pinch the broken piece so it can be pulled free. Ive also considered using a crowbar to bend it inwards, but im worried the force needed will make it push into the baffling and ruin it.

Any advice here? Splitting it open and rewelding it isnt an option. While the catback functions fine the rattling is extremely annoying and makes it almost embarressing to drive my max lol.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 AM

I'd probably use a couple big flathead srewdrivers to bend the thing inwards, then use those tabs that were just created as spots to carefully pull using some pliers...

I would be leery of using the crowbar, for the exact reason you mentioned.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thats pretty much my best idea at this point. The broken piece is the exact diameter as the outlet so it needs to be squished to be able to come out. Using some iron rods or heavy duty screwdrivers to pinch it inwards into itself and then using a mini crowbar to latch onto and pull the sucker out seems like it would work but will probably be a b*tch depending how sturdy the broken pipe is.

Figured id ask here to see if anyone else has opinions on this before i give that a shot.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Maybe go the other way..?

Something that can expand to grab the inner sides of the pipe, then pull out that way...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 AM

I wouldnt remove it at all because if there is fiberglass baffling in there it might blow out.see is someone can use a stick welder and tack it back in place.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Maybe go the other way..?

Something that can expand to grab the inner sides of the pipe, then pull out that way...
Other direction is also the same diameter (2.5") and has bends, which would be 10 times more difficult. Aside from cutting it open, which isnt an option, the muffler outlet is the only way to remove it.

When i found it i tried doing what you said, but as the outlet is the exact diameter as the broken piece, the broken piece needs to be reduced in diameter somehow.

As for rewelding it, its a cheap crappy piece of metal, and would likely be outside my budget to have a welder work on it. I dont forsee the fiberglass/baffling material being an issue as that is seperated by a "sheath" of swiss cheese holed piping - you can see it in the picture. I will certainly keep that hazard in mind though.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 AM

Bend a spot with a screw driver then clamp a pair of needle nose vise grips onto the spot you bent and pull.
Not sure if it will work but its worth a shot before jamming a crowbar in there and possibly end up having to buy a new muffler
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Other direction is also the same diameter (2.5") and has bends, which would be 10 times more difficult. Aside from cutting it open, which isnt an option, the muffler outlet is the only way to remove it.
when I said "the other way" I meant instead of prying from the outside of the pipe, finding something that can grab from the inside and go that way.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
when I said "the other way" I meant instead of prying from the outside of the pipe, finding something that can grab from the inside and go that way.
Ahh ok haha. I was going to use a small crowbar to go inside and hook it from the rear, and then use two rods to grab from the inside and pull it out. Likely a combination of both.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

This is a simple fix, replace the muffler - It's done.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
This is a simple fix, replace the muffler - It's done.
^+1 if you can afford it.