4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weird RPM Drop/Pump plz help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Weird RPM Drop/Pump plz help

I have a small problem on my maxima that is 50 miles to 130k miles, quite exciting huh?

So it was around 45 degrees here in texas, was quite cold, and I have noticed that my RPM will drop when coming to a complete stop(somtimes happen when im driving as well but not as much), it will drop to 500 then have this "PUMP" to 900-1k RPM for a second then back slowly down to around 700,
and I remember this happening a couple weeks ago ONLY to cold weather, on normal weather (65+ degrees) THIS would NOT occur at all, it would not drop, drives like nothing is wrong

tomorrow or thursday its suppose to be warm again and never cold again(hopefully), but im just curious about this RPM thing as it was freakin me out a little and is making the car a little "clogged up" is that what it feels. The car would not want to go lower than 500 RPM, it would just use the "PUMP" to keep it from going lower than 500 RPM

Any Suggestions and thoughts what may be causing this problem?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 AM

I live in New Brunswick Canada. And it gets really cold in the winter here. -10*c is considered a warmer day during winter. Once the temps hit 0*c - +5*c we say wow what a nice day.
Anyway, going off of knowledge I gathered from simply searching around hear, I would check/clean you're Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). Adding a bit of my personal knowledge, check for vacuum leaks using a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running, spray down the vacuum hoses listening for a rpm change, if there is a leak the Carb cleaner will get sucked in through the leak and the rpm's will dip a bit. You can also use a bottle of propane with a hose attached to the valve and do the same thing. If there is a leak the gas will get sucked in and the rpm's will change.

Last edited by 6cyl-97maxima; 03-05-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 6cyl-97maxima
I live in New Brunswick Canada. And it gets really cold in the winter here. -10*c is considered a warmer day during winter. Once the temps hit 0*c - +5*c we say wow what a nice day.
Anyway, going off of knowledge I gathered from simply searching around hear, I would check/clean you're Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). Adding a bit of my personal knowledge, check for vacuum leaks using a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running, spray down the vacuum hoses listening for a rpm change, if there is a leak the Carb cleaner will get sucked in through the leak and the rpm's will dip a bit. You can also use a bottle of propane with a hose attached to the valve and do the same thing. If there is a leak the gas will get sucked in and the rpm's will change.
Hmm I'm having the same issue just I live in florida and it happens on occasion not due to weather my car will pull up usually at a red light when I braking and just before I stopped rpm drop and it feels like the car is choking or about to die out and then it will surge and go back to normal... Also does your car feel like the tranny is slipping sometimes when you take off from a stand still? Because usually when what ur talking about happens to me intake off and it's like my tranny is slipping or having a hard time switching to second gear... But it's very rare and doesn't happen too often... So I would to see the feedback from this post
Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM

hmm interesting, im still looking for answers please keep it up

and also one silly thing my maxima did after my gym session, I was sitting inside,I wanted to throw a bit of papers i had (receipts) and i open the door what u know the ALARM goes on, This Stock alarm(think it is stock, dont know if previous owner put an alarm but doubt..) is hella LOUD and SENSITIVE ... I was so embarrassed -__- it only happens when it wants to... which is rare, I panic'd and shut the door so the alarm would STOP.., but it kept on going... once the alarm stopped I try to start the CAR WOULDNT START ...My phone was dead as well so I was SCREWED, kept saying "Sh*T! im stranded"..

And also there was 20 ppl outside running outside the gym and I just stood inside so i didnt put the alarm on again... I would find that annoying for the runners outside. So i waited.. took 20 minutes for them to be gone.

I put it on ignition mode... (all dashes were bright so I had a usb cable to charge my phone.. luckily!..... I knew automatically that the security system was preventing me from starting the car.. Which I am glad it happend because now i know that my security will prevent the car from starting..) once my phone was charged i looked up "car wont start because of alarm" and they said all i had to do was go out, let the alarm go off, put driver key in the key lock outside the car and lock it and unlock it.. Resets the alarm.. went in and It STARTED!... I was like "Finally gah damn..." and no my car is not the 1999 where security problems are often and may lock up the car.

such crazy.. but just wanted to point it out.. I was stuck for 45 minutes trying to figure out what to do.. I didn't want to drain the battery when i had the car in ignition mode..so alot of things had to come down to "what to do... do it smart!!"

Last edited by JoshG; 03-05-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM

it was 65 degrees today and when i came to stops, my RPM didn't drop like it did yesterday or the past few cold days... it was driving like nothing is wrong.

what the hell?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 PM

another report... warm day today, was a bit cold this morning 45 degrees... overall it didnt do the RPM drops...

Weird, and strange..Anyone know why it does this?

also just hit 130k miles today
Old 03-07-2014, 07:13 PM

http://youronlinemechanic.com/dash-pot-dp-system/

I already told you in your other thread on the same subject that it is normal, and it is called the dashpot function.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 PM

hmm actually u only just told me now lol, but thanks for the reply and telling what it is, thats what I needed to know

just didn't want to run into problems I might needed to fix.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JoshG
hmm actually u only just told me now lol.
Try again noob.

https://maxima.org/showthread.php?t=675291
Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 PM

im suprised u actually looked , I didn't see the picture on there last time and on this thread I do see a picture so in my mind I thought it was some1 else lol
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
http://youronlinemechanic.com/dash-pot-dp-system/

I already told you in your other thread on the same subject that it is normal, and it is called the dashpot function.
asand1 does this apply to the 3rd gen VG's aswell? Iv'e noticed this before aswell most times when coming to a complete stop at a stop sign but i don't think it was temperature related in any way like JoshG has mentioned. I had it tuned and noticed it not long after. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the tune or was just coincidence but i found when coming to a stop the rpm would drop to 4 to 500 rpm then level out at around 800 where it should be. I just thought that was a bit of a low dip and don't remember this being normal but vacume or IAC was my first thought but iv'e changed all vacume lines with the vibrant silicone lines so i dont think there would be a leak but i may be wrong.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 PM

AFAIK all cars should do this.