4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2002 - 2014 Hope this is not the end

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 - 2014 Hope this is not the end

I hope this does not mean the end of a reliable vehicle. 1999 Nissan Maxima SE that has driven me throughout the southwest for more than a decade and has seen places like the silver mines in Casa Grande, AZ headed into Phoenix, the Mogalan Rim cruising through Prescott to see the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam visiting Las Vegas, NV, then back down highway 40 (Route 66) to Albuquerque, NM. I drove out to Arlington, TX in the summer of 2013 to work for a company and my car has been a magnet for people in a hurry to get nowhere IMHO.

Name:  IMAG0024.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0054.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Ouch!

I hope they don't kill it...but if they do, will you part out?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Because the car is old you never know.
The headlight (and bodywork attached to it) took most of the hit. So the structural damage looks to be minimal because these parts werent designed to absorb alot of impact.
Front bumper is practically untouched.
Corner and fog lights untouched.
Airbags did not deploy I assume?
You drove it home and the car felt fine in the steering?

Maybe there is hope.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Because the car is old you never know.
The headlight (and bodywork attached to it) took most of the hit. So the structural damage looks to be minimal because these parts werent designed to absorb alot of impact.
Front bumper is practically untouched.
Corner and fog lights untouched.
Airbags did not deploy I assume?
You drove it home and the car felt fine in the steering?

Maybe there is hope.
There's always hope. That's not nearly as bad as the damage to my camery. I hit hard it the same spot. The front end on the drivers side was bent bad, the airbags had deployed also. I figured it was wrote off, but decided to tow it to the body shop anyway. since I only carry PL&PD insurance it was my option to fix or not. Body shop told me to get a bumper, Hood, fender, battery, radator, and headlights. And he would also have to do some laser straighting. Between a friend and a local junk yard I managed to get all the body parts for $100. Body shop did their thing and charged me only $300. I cut that old air bag out and contuined to drive the car which to my surprise handled the same as before. A week later I rolled the damn thing trying to avoid a pothole going highway speeds. That truly wrote the car off and I was sad. But that's how I came across my Max
The moral of the story is your Max is only a wrightoff if you let your insurance company just do what they want. If you want to fix your Max, its not a Wright off and damage seems minor overall.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM

its not the end, Fix that thing up, it looks minor, ^ this guy here had same situation as u and got all those parts for $100.. thats shocking!.. and body shop doing their job for $300 just dam,

That car is pearl white.. Beautiful color for the maxima, Don't let another white pearl 4th gen maxima off the road... I own one myself... They're really nice.

until then... Anything can be fixed, anything is possible with money.. Just because the car is old and got into a wreck...(only minor or is fixable) doesn't mean its the end. You have the choice to fix it, somtimes insurance companies can't control what u decide to do because like I said.. ur money and u want to fix it, then u do it.
4th gen maxima's look great these days especially when clean. they dont even look old at all

You fix it, it goes back on the road, U don't... Then it will be the end being behind of the wheel of ur maxima.

also how did this accident happen? just curious. Alot of people like to know. but thats just me.

Last edited by JoshG; 03-06-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 6cyl-97maxima
There's always hope. That's not nearly as bad as the damage to my camery. I hit hard it the same spot. The front end on the drivers side was bent bad, the airbags had deployed also. I figured it was wrote off, but decided to tow it to the body shop anyway. since I only carry PL&PD insurance it was my option to fix or not. Body shop told me to get a bumper, Hood, fender, battery, radator, and headlights. And he would also have to do some laser straighting. Between a friend and a local junk yard I managed to get all the body parts for $100. Body shop did their thing and charged me only $300. I cut that old air bag out and contuined to drive the car which to my surprise handled the same as before. A week later I rolled the damn thing trying to avoid a pothole going highway speeds. That truly wrote the car off and I was sad. But that's how I came across my Max
The moral of the story is your Max is only a wrightoff if you let your insurance company just do what they want. If you want to fix your Max, its not a Wright off and damage seems minor overall.
An update to the accident: I guess it took a while before the trauma wore off and now I am about the business of bringing this car back to life. The insurance company took the whole week before finally admitting fault and getting me into a rental car. (They said they could not get a hold of their client) One of the first things they told me was it may be a total loss due to the car's age, so he asked me to drive it into a center to have an adjuster take a look at it. I advised them I would not be able to safely do that given it's current condition and they would need to send someone out to me. They said it would be another week before an appointment could be made so that should give me more time in this rental to handle day to day business. U Pull It has over 20 Maxima's years 1995-1999 so they may be my best bet as long as they have not been picked to death.

Oh yeah this accident happened right after I got the deal of the day from Discount Tire (Two new tires $175) because one of their reps
made an error on recording my mileage history at one of my visits for rotation. As I pulled out of the tire shop and stopped at a red light there was a ford explorer truck in front of me waiting also. A diesel truck tried to make the left turn onto our street, but had to stop to prevent the back end hitting the explorer. At that same moment the driver of the explorer slammed his truck into reverse and ended up on top of my hood and then put it in drive and drove off my car. I sat in my car for maybe three minuets in total amazement before I finally tried to get out. What a way to ruin a perfect day to that point.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 AM

I had a guy on a hill on his cell phone in a jeep cherokee (like a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ)) he wasn't holding the brake hard enough letting his ride slowly inch backwards and I was honking but he was on the phone and creased my hood. But that was on my first car 99 sonta gls.

This was a treat in disguise. Once you get your $4-5,000 from the insurance you can get junkyard parts and fix it for a couple hundred.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 AM

In Florida if the damage repair estimate is 80% or more of the value of the car, then the insurance company has to total it.

It may be similar there.

Unfortunately, when you are dealing with insurance companies, you can't just go get parts from the jy and fix your car yourself. If it wasn't reported to your insurance, or it was your fault and you didn't have coverage, you could do that.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

So what if they total it, you keep the money and the car. At least here you can.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Max, you certainly can fix it yourself, insurance company will cut him a check, weather he fixes it or not is up to him. If it is totaled he can buy it back from them and fix it with the difference in what they sell it to him and about amount he would receive.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 AM

They just give you the car.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM

if they total it.. they cant really stop u from what u want to do to the car, just buy it back from them and u spend whatever u want to fix. its ur car.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM

got to the junk yard and find parts of the same color. You might have to do some searching but its worth it.

spend a couple hours straightening the radiator support and aligning the parts.

Good to go.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
They just give you the car.
If you have had this happen then you are lucky, they don't just give it to you.