4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how do I wire led strip to driver door light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM

how do I wire led strip to driver door light

So my next project is to wire led strips under each door so at night when I open the door the light from under the door will light up the street so I don't step in anything at night or whoever is in the car, I know how to tap into the wires already, but I notice that when I open the driver door the light doesn't come on, unless I open other doors, I know its not a problem with the sensor thingy that the door pushes in when it close to send the signal to the computer because the center light comes on when set to door, and only the driver door is open, so how do I wire it without having to run a wire from the center light, and how do I wire it so each ligecome on for each door when they open other than all going off then one door is open is this is doable, thanks for any, and all options
Old 03-28-2014, 05:44 PM

I wired up strips in the foot well to light when the doors are open. Although it was done on a 5.5 gen Max and the wire colors may be different, the principle should remain the same.
You need a source of power whenever the door is opened. Your best bet would be to find the wire that gets power when the door is open and splice into that and have the other strips connected to that wire so that they only turn on when the door is opened and remain off otherwise.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 PM

OK where would I look for this wire, I have a fuse tester I could use to test the wired, and most colors like black or grey will most likely point to the negative lead, thanks for the reply
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM

There may may be 2 different ways of how you have the lights come on. As I recall, the lights all ready in the front doors (called step lamps by Nissan) each operate separately, meaning that the step lamp will come on only when that specific door is opened. If you tap into these lights, then your led strips would work the same way.

The other way would be for the lights to come on when any door is opened. This would mean that when one door is opened, the lights would come on for all the doors.

If you consider this second method, do you care if all the lights come on at the same time? As an added bonus (depending on your point of view), you can have lights for the rear doors.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 PM

Interesting. I saw a old Camry with all led strips in the headlights that was interesting too.he knew what I was thinking when I gave him the look
Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Tap into the two wires that run to the light that is on the side of the door. It is only on when a door is open. Both lights come on if any door is open. If you wanted something that was specific to each door, that would require more work. Here the wiring is already in the door. Just run the wires down and attach the strips.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:57 PM

OK I hear what you guys are saying, but you guys missed the part when I said my driver side door light doesn't come on when I open my door, But if I open other doors that's when it comes on
Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Not sure what to tell you. You said the dome light comes on when the drivers door, but not the door light? They are both triggered by the same door sensor, so I'm kind of at a loss. I had the same problem, that was fixed by replacing the door switch. But neither light came on for me. I would check the FSM to see how the circuit is laid out.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 PM

If there's a fuse for the doom light at the kick panel I would tap Into that, but it there isn't when Ima Have to find the wire that leads up to the doom light, and tab into it, and then tap into the other door using it's light, but what would I tap Into for the rear doors lols to make em come on by them self, I would have to do the front ones until I come up with a way to trigger each down by itself, they sell these stuff, just got to look it up
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 AM

When I added footwell lights, I taped in at the dome light. I believe the dome light is ground switched, it always gets power, the circuit is grounded when a door opens. I pulled both wires off the bulb itself down the A pillar. That was if I click the dome light on, the footwells turn on. If you wanted them to come on separately use the door switch.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM

After looking at the diagram, you would need a diode to wire in at each door sensor. All the door sensors run into one wire, without the diode, when one door is opened all the lights would come one.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 AM

I have no idea where these wires located, the wire for the doom light would run down the driver side of the car, where would the wire for the door switch run so I would find it, I mean everything ends up running to the front of the car anyways lols
Old 03-29-2014, 07:38 AM

The dome wires run down the drivers A pillar. Not sure how long the door wires stay separate, FSM shows they combine to one signal. if I were you, I would just tap into them at the door switch, its right by the door anyway.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 AM

So this is what I decided to do since I only have people in the back like once every 3 months or so, I'm going to wire the doom to the driver door, wire the passenger to itself, and the back ones to a single switch up by the driver side, I'm looking at about 3-4 hours including cutting the led strips, and soldering, Thanks for the help