4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

"Whole" Coil or "coil on plug boot"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:48 PM

"Whole" Coil or "coil on plug boot"

So I was changing my plugs tonight and #2 coil pulled right off the "shaft". The rubber connecting boot stayed on the coil and the shaft stayed attached to the plug in the engine.

I tried using a pair of 6" needle nose to pull the shaft out... dumb mistake, the plastic around the spring just pulled apart. Ended up making a loop out of some thin nylon cord and looped it around the shaft and pulled the shaft/boot out that way.

Now I have two parts to my coil and I'm looking at Rock Auto and they have just the shaft part for sale. Guess I didn't know that was an option...

As far as I know, the coil itself is good. The plug/s looked old, but not wet or oily or anything. Nice and white albeit thin from age.

Have any of you replaced just the shaft?

Anyone know if dealerships also carry just the shaft part?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes you can buy just the boot. Definitely check with your local parts store. It should be something they have or can get fairly quick. If not I know there's plenty of options online for just the boot.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by stromm

Have any of you replaced just the shaft?
Knee and Hip, but never the shaft? I must be lucky.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 AM

The coil itself should be fine if you have no codes for a misfire on that cylinder. So just replace the shaft/boot. Local scrap yard may be a cheap option aswell.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Let me know if you need a deal on a used 6 pak.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM

I picked up a single "shaft" today at the local AutoZone. Works great.

Sadly, I still have my hard start problem... I was getting by just turning the key to Run and waiting 3-4 seconds, then turning to start. Last weekend, I started having to tap the gas a couple times to get it to start too.

Grrr. No surprise, the car has 165k miles on it and it's been 60k since anything but tires, oil/filter (k&n air...) and anti-freeze. Time for more periodic maint.

Gonna get a fuel filter, belts and maybe a FPR. Hopefully won't need a fuel pump.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 PM

Sadly, I still have my hard start problem... I was getting by just turning the key to Run and waiting 3-4 seconds, then turning to start. Last weekend, I started having to tap the gas a couple times to get it to start too.

Grrr. No surprise, the car has 165k miles on it and it's been 60k since anything but tires, oil/filter (k&n air...) and anti-freeze. Time for more periodic maint.

Gonna get a fuel filter, belts and maybe a FPR. Hopefully won't need a fuel pump.
Before you go replacing the fuel pump, run some SeaFoam cleaner thru the tank and clean out the injectors.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Fuel filter or a cold start injector may be causing your hard start issue or yes quite possibly the fuel pump being the most expensive but i believe it can be accessed under the back seat instead of having to drop the tank like some cars.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Lots of YouTube on fuel pump replacement, but seriously, before you go to any trouble, get some SeaFoam and just add like a 1/3 of a tin to atleast a 1/2 tank. You will likely notice the difference in the first hour. Will clean all the old gas varnish out of your injectors and fuel line. There is a more intense treatment, where you inhale it thru the vacuum line but that is extreme and the exhaust smoke is so intense, you could hide an aircraft carrier. Change the oil after that one. Also safe in the crank with an oil change soon after. Try number 1. Wouldn't hurt to manually clean your throttle body too.

Last edited by rhonster; 04-02-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by rhonster
Lots of YouTube on fuel pump replacement, but seriously, before you go to any trouble, get some SeaFoam and just add like a 1/3 of a tin to atleast a 1/2 tank. You will likely notice the difference in the first hour. Will clean all the old gas varnish out of your injectors and fuel line. There is a more intense treatment, where you inhale it thru the vacuum line but that is extreme and the exhaust smoke is so intense, you could hide an aircraft carrier. Change the oil after that one. Also safe in the crank with an oil change soon after. Try number 1. Wouldn't hurt to manually clean your throttle body too.
The seafoam would be a good thing aswell. If you do want to clean the intake you can take off the vacume line between the brake booster and the intake manifold and SLOWLY poor in a 3rd of a bottle. Their may be some heavy smoke because it cleans the carbon but if it's not crazy dirty you don't get that much bellowing smoke and poor the rest in your gas tank and crank case. If you seafoam it do it before you change the oil or do a tune up.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM

you don't need to pour the SeaFoam, the vacuum line will inhale (suck) a small bowl dry. ( front driverside firewall )
Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 AM

Seafoam is a great idea. I almost grabbed a bottle when I was getting some MAF cleaner. But I think I have half a can on my work bench.

Hmm, I wonder how much the fuel filter really filters out...

I'll let you all know if that works.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:28 AM

I bought and installed a new filter from Prime Choice Auto Parts recently for about $7. They also sell gas hoseline by the foot 5/16 id if you need it, make sure you have good or new clamps b4 getting started. They will mail free anywhere , i think.

http://www.autopartsottawa.ca/?gclid...FbQWMgodRVUAGQ
Old 04-06-2014, 06:38 PM

So I finally installed the new ignition switch I bought last fall. It's looking like that is the fix. I'm still going to change the fuel filter and I put half a can of SeaFoam in a full tank.

Now to figure out what my idle "whistle" is coming from. Definitely on the front of the engine (right side of the car), but I can't pin it down. Only happens when the RPMs drop below 750ish.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 PM

My belt pulley can make a sound when its cold but i cant say its a whistle. If your belt isnt making a sound, that is odd.