4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Change the Stock BOSE System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 02:19 AM

Has anyone changed the head unit or anything to their BOSE system? I heard a while back that the speakers will sound horrible if you change out the stock BOSE unit, is that true?
Old 08-31-2000, 02:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Changing the stock BOSE system

I think the BOSE speakers may be an active type (self contained amplifiers)... So if that is the case, then the system will sound horrible with another head unit...

My suggestion is to use Alpine head units (with 4V pre-out -- no power output ) and Alpine power amps and go with MB Quart speakers... JL Audio makes a very nice subwoofer stealbox for the Maxima...

Costs money but you get what you pay for...

Old 08-31-2000, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by mrb23
Has anyone changed the head unit or anything to their BOSE system? I heard a while back that the speakers will sound horrible if you change out the stock BOSE unit, is that true?

There is an interface you can buy made by Stinger... It looks like this...

Part #: NISAH4N

Replace the factory radio with a higher quality aftermarket radio in 1995- Nissan, Infiniti to Nissan Bose systems
Direct plug in adapter to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket radio. Requires speaker level input. 4 adjustable audio attenuators.

Here is the links for other products:

http://www.stinger-aamp.com/peripher...t1/pcat1_6.htm

They also have interfaces that allow you to keep the existing OEM Bose setup and add amplifiers / subs too.

Hope this helps.. I am trying to do the same thing.. I want to install a full DIN Clarion or Eclipse LCD screen and portable DVD player.

Julian Brock
93 NOS'd Sentra SE
96 Maxima SE
Old 08-31-2000, 09:49 AM
krell

Alpine/Polk

I bought my SE with the intention of replacing the stereo, so I didn't mess with the Bose. Ended up putting in a Double Din Alpine, a few amps, replacing all the speakers, and installing a changer.

I digress, if you have more detailed questions let me know, I did almost all the work on the car myself. I can now disassemble the dash and doors in < 15 minutes......

Crutchfield will give you a free installation guide if you buy a headunit from them, or speakers. This was very helpful. Unfortunately they don't carry Alpine. :< You didn't mention what year car you have, the later 4th gen cars are easier to do speaker installs on as new tweeters can be easily flush mounted into the door trims.... (Just bore out the existing grill hole more).
-Krell

Originally posted by mrb23

Old 09-01-2000, 10:11 PM

what i did....

What i did only was a 10" Kicker Impulse to the system...but i would just assume replace the whole unit like you are doing. What i plan on doing is going for 6.5 mb's all around..and adding 2 12" subs and dumping the 10...then it would POUND!! check out http://www.cardomain.com or also http://www.sounddomain.com for more info on this...their boards are sometimes helpful too!!