4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A32 Cat Converter issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A32 Cat Converter issues

Hi guys,

I'm new here, so please go easy on me with this

I have an Australian 98 A32 30G Maxima and about a week ago I noticed what can only be described as a high-pitched screeching noise that I think my be air passing through the baffles in my stuffed cat converter whenever going over about 10km/h or 1500rpm's.

I come to this conclusion because a) The noise comes from about the location of the car the cat is located, and b) about 2 - 3 years ago I was told by an exhaust shop that the cat was eroding quite badly.

It almost sounds like it would be the sound of the suspension about to give up, but I would think if this was the case it would be more of a constant noise instead of being at certain speeds.

My questions are:

From others experience (and from my poor description) does this sound like a likely guess?

Also, I currently have an aftermarket exhaust from the stock cat all the way back installed. If I was to ask while getting the cat looked at if it could be replaced with a hi-flow cat I would be laughed at? I realised it isn't the type of car people modify the exhaust on, but I enjoy the note.

Currently the exhaust is a little droney. Would a hi-flow cat add to this drone, or does it produce a different sort of noise generally? I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I realise most here are from the States. Not sure is there is much difference in the setup of the exhaust in the Australian Maxima to the States version?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 AM

Welcome to Maxima.org. Earlier this year, my 99 Maxima cats were found to be severely cooked/clogged. The car would barely run at times and it was extremely hard to start.

To determine if clogged cats were part of the problem, I temporarily removed the O2 sensors so the engine could breathe, then started it and took it for a drive. While it was loud, opening the O2 sensor holes made a huge difference in the vehicle's performance. So it was just a matter of replacing the upstream pre-cats and stock pipes with a Y-pipe (e.g. pre-cats deleted) and installing a Magnaflow high-flow cat to resolve the problems I experienced last winter.

Since the car had already had the rear suitcase muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe, it was noticeably louder than stock but not too loud. The OEM resoonator has since been replaced with a glass pack and an open exhaust pipe with s silencer. The silencer does a good job of keeping the noise level legal.

There are a couple of y-pipe and options that you will see members post success stories on this forum. I would search the forum on y-pipe and high-flow cat to check out the discussions.

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-29-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 PM

I have a picture of our 4th gen exhaust system do you need to see it?

Name:  Photo-0182-1-1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  Photo-0187.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  95.3 KB
Old 06-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CMax03
I have a picture of our 4th gen exhaust system do you need to see it?

Do you remember what you paid for the whole sysytem that u posted these pics of? i think im gonna be replacig mine before winter..i just wanna know a round about price for what u shown? i have a feeling im gonna need a cat also!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxaholic
Do you remember what you paid for the whole sysytem that u posted these pics of? i think im gonna be replacig mine before winter..i just wanna know a round about price for what u shown? i have a feeling im gonna need a cat also!
The 2.5" tubing kit is from mandrel exhaust systems in which I helped design and fit for the Maxima community...Cost $120 but along with the mufflers Magnaflow 12576 (5" x 11" x 22") & 10436 (4" rd x 22"),
the welding ($25), and a Magnaflow tip ($50) Total:$375-400

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Llex
Hi guys,

I'm new here, so please go easy on me with this

I have an Australian 98 A32 30G Maxima and about a week ago I noticed what can only be described as a high-pitched screeching noise that I think my be air passing through the baffles in my stuffed cat converter whenever going over about 10km/h or 1500rpm's.

I come to this conclusion because a) The noise comes from about the location of the car the cat is located, and b) about 2 - 3 years ago I was told by an exhaust shop that the cat was eroding quite badly.

It almost sounds like it would be the sound of the suspension about to give up, but I would think if this was the case it would be more of a constant noise instead of being at certain speeds.

My questions are:

From others experience (and from my poor description) does this sound like a likely guess?

Also, I currently have an aftermarket exhaust from the stock cat all the way back installed. If I was to ask while getting the cat looked at if it could be replaced with a hi-flow cat I would be laughed at? I realised it isn't the type of car people modify the exhaust on, but I enjoy the note.

Currently the exhaust is a little droney. Would a hi-flow cat add to this drone, or does it produce a different sort of noise generally? I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I realise most here are from the States. Not sure is there is much difference in the setup of the exhaust in the Australian Maxima to the States version?
If I were you, I would first...contact Warpspeed and get our hi flow cat (flanged) and the drone can be fixed by added a larger resonator, 22" Magnaflow 4" round muffler depending on exhaust tubing size, 2.5" (10436), 2.25" (10435), 2"(10434)....Took a pic of your exhaust so I can see what components you're using!