4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Carbon Fiber Hood Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 PM

Carbon Fiber Hood Suggestions

Does anyone have a recommendation for a carbon fiber hood that fits a 99 model?

Last month I found a hood on Craig's list that turned out to be a scam. Somebody selling pictures of someone else's hood to get use of the money for a month. Yep - it really takes a month to recover funds from PayPal.

Is anyone using hood pins as a safety to keep their CF hood from flying off while driving?

After finishing all the work on the 99 SE, I drove it around with the hood off for fun. Losing all the hood weight sure makes it a lot of fun to drive.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Administrator

VIS is the only company that I know for sure that still makes the hood for us. It's pricey, but on the bright side, VIS tends to make quality products and I believe their edges are rolled.

My CF hood was made by CarbonEFX. I was lucky enough to pick it up locally and avoid shipping charges back in 05. Pretty good quality, edges are not rolled. Not sure if they're around or not, a quick google search led me to www.carbonhoods.com

Carbon Creations is another company I see on Ebay making CF hoods for the 5th gens. Maybe contact them and see if they have anything for the 4th gen as I don't see any options on their website.

I have hood pins for added insurance.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Does anyone have a recommendation for a carbon fiber hood that fits a 99 model?

Last month I found a hood on Craig's list that turned out to be a scam. Somebody selling pictures of someone else's hood to get use of the money for a month. Yep - it really takes a month to recover funds from PayPal.

Is anyone using hood pins as a safety to keep their CF hood from flying off while driving?

After finishing all the work on the 99 SE, I drove it around with the hood off for fun. Losing all the hood weight sure makes it a lot of fun to drive.
I have a CF hood on my Kia Optima and it sits quite snug to the body, and doesnt flap around at all when driving on the freeway, but I too am looking into a CF hood soon for my 99, I have found some from VIS and Advan, unless they are just renamed and same company. Carbon creations makes a wingless trunk, if your interested in that as well.

Originally Posted by The Wizard
VIS is the only company that I know for sure that still makes the hood for us. It's pricey, but on the bright side, VIS tends to make quality products and I believe their edges are rolled.

My CF hood was made by CarbonEFX. I was lucky enough to pick it up locally and avoid shipping charges back in 05. Pretty good quality, edges are not rolled. Not sure if they're around or not, a quick google search led me to www.carbonhoods.com

Carbon Creations is another company I see on Ebay making CF hoods for the 5th gens. Maybe contact them and see if they have anything for the 4th gen as I don't see any options on their website.

I have hood pins for added insurance.
I have heard Carbon Creations is a pretty good product from some folks that have picked them up. when you say the edges are rolled does that mean they are not just a flat corner cut, or are they even smoother than a non rolled?

as metioned when quoting OP i have a CF hood on my optima and the edges arent corner cut, but they do have this roughness to it, that im wondering if what your speaking of is the difference.

Last edited by NSMO240; 07-12-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll start checking with the leads this week.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Thanks for the info. I'll start checking with the leads this week.
VIS recommendation here too. I'm loving the way you treat your 4th gen.

edit: never mind about VIS
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ol-issues.html

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 04-25-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Yea it's rare to see someone with their head on straight. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Thank you. I think it's more about having some great consultants on here to follow..