4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SRS - Air Bag Light Reset Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM

SRS - Air Bag Light Reset Question

Roughly 13 months ago, my 99 I30 was involved in an accident (T-boned on the passenger side just below the C-pillar) that caused the front air bags and seat belt explosive charge to deploy. Naturally after the deployment, the Air Bag dash light lit up solid as expected.

So at least one year prior to the Air Bag deployment, I had removed the air-bag seats and inserted a resister in the line to “stand in” for the seats and reset the Air Bag light using one of the SRS reset procedure at the bottom of this post. I’ve successfully used SRS reset procedure a couple of times while moving the seat or resisters around. So at one point past I had the touch (or knew how) to reset the Air Bag light.

A few months ago I purchased Nissan Data Scan (NDS) Version 1 and discovered it has a diagnostic function to read and reset SRS codes like Consult. So I used NDS1 read the codes and it accurately confirmed the following conditions:

1) Air Bag Module Open
2) Assist A/B Module (gnd short)
3) Driver Pre-tensioner (open/vb-short)

Here’s a picture of the codes below. So far so good and no surprises with the NDS1 findings. Good stuff and it lines up with the FSM diagnostic chart.

Name:  Air_Bag_01_zps4c8f86b2.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  96.4 KB

Here’s a picture of the code history to support the original diagnostic codes above as described in the FSM.

Name:  Air_Bag_02_zpsb18bb6c0.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  103.5 KB

Now To Replace the Deployed Air Bags and Seat Belt Pre-tensioners

A couple of weeks ago, I found a 1999 model I30 with tan interior at my local Pick-n-Pull so I snagged a set of Air Bags, SRS Control Unit, and Seat Belt Pre-tensoners with the explosive charge to finally wrap up the Air Bag problem.

This weekend I installed the following items from the I30 donor car:
1) Steering wheel air bag
2) Dash air bag
3) Two seat belt pre-tensioners with the explosive charge.

Next I hooked up the battery, started the car, and attempted to reset the Air Bag code. No luck so let’s try it again. After roughly seven attempts, I decided to take out NDS1 for a closer look.

I used NDS1 to display the codes and none were present. That made me fell good about my installation. I decided to reset the codes one more time to attempt to reset the Air Bag light.

Here's a picture of NDS1 resetting the codes.

Name:  Air_Bag_03_zpsa7406aa0.png
Views: 385
Size:  7.9 KB

Here's a picture of NDS1 showing no DTC codes.

So now I’m scratching my head trying to decide if I’ve lost my touch for resetting the Aig Bag light or if I should be using a different procedure.

Also, I have a SRS Control Unit from the donor I30 that I may install just to see if it makes a difference.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Meanwhile I'll be looking around in FSM section RS for clues and contemplating whether I want to pull the center console to change the SRS Control Unit. In following the FSM, it appears I have a "Consult like tool" for following the diagnostic check. I think I need to check fuses.

Air Bag Reset Procedure (A)
1) Open driver door
2) Turn ignition switch to the on position
3) Press the door switch button 5 times in 7 seconds.
4) Turn the ignition switch to the off position
5) Turn the ignition switch on and proceed with starting the vehicle.

Other Information from NDS1

This 6B lines up with the FSM RS information.

Name:  Air_Bag_05_zpsec25e457.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  64.6 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-31-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

On some models ,once the bags are deployed you have to change the controller. I'll bet the 99 with side impact falls into that category.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
On some models ,once the bags are deployed you have to change the controller. I'll bet the 99 with side impact falls into that category.
I bet that is the case.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Since it looks like it is the side bags causing the errors, I would suggest you get an air bag controller that does not support side air bags.

The Infiniti and the Maxima use the same controllers, that makes finding one in the junkyard a little easier. The part numbers for the 98 and 99 are different, but I can't remember if every year model has a different part number. However, there was another person with a 99 Infiniti and he used a 98 controller (or maybe it was a 98 car and a 99 controller) without any problems.

You probably know this, but just in case, the controller is under the center console towards the rear seat area.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Thank you Dennis. I've actually got a 99 controller from the I30 donor car where I got the air bags. Hopefully it won't object to the transfer.

The history list of side bag codes must be from a couple years ago when I was experimenting to find a resistor that would stand in for the side bags. The resistors worked well for roughly a year before the accident.

What may indicate a controller problem is the history list doesn't show the last three codes that disappeared when I installed the replacement airbags and the correct belt pre-tensioners. The controller immediately showed no DTC codes without me attempting to reset it. I wonder if there is a limit to the number of history codes that can be stored before the controller just chokes up and says no more..

I'll pull the console this week and try the other controller. If it doesn't work, I'll go looking for a 98 model Maxima controller at the salvage yards.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Replacing the SRS Controller with the one from the donor 99 I30 took care of the Air Bag light the problem. After swapping the module under the console, I reset the unit using the procedure described in the RS section of the FSM.

I left the 2.2 Ohm resistors in place that I used to "stand in" for the Left and Right Hand seat SRS units. Apparently at some point in the donor car's past it had two issues with the Right Hand Side SRS unit. The Past Self Diagnostic Code List showed two entries. As long as it works, I could care less about history codes.

Here's a "phone cam" picture that I snapped tonight to show the dash. I picked up the Bose head unit at Pick-n-Pull along with the Air Bags. The original head unit's digital display stopped working so I took a chance on finding one a better one from the donor car.

Name:  Air_Bag_06_zpsa5862ec0.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  241.9 KB
Old 12-12-2016, 03:51 AM

is it me, or do maximas have more than their share of air bag issues?
I have one that at times sets a blinking light, my Toyotas Iv owned never an issue and not much talk on toyota forums on blinking air bag lights