4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Door handle molding

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Door handle molding

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have had this problem, but there is a thin strip of rubbery molding around the outside door handle that is painted the same color as the body, but it has degraded and cracked and some of it has fallen off to reveal an ugly white residue, kind of like what happens when you rip a sticker off too quickly. The molding is on all four door handles, and they're all showing small cracks and evidence of decomposition. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this problem? Its rather annoying to look at. I will try to get a picture up, but gotta go borrow a digicam. I have no idea how to repair this, perhaps just going to go ghetto style and use a dark marker and color the white parts. It just stands out too much. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:16 AM

*bump*

no one?
Old 01-23-2002, 01:32 AM

sorry I dont have that problem. Are you shure that white stuff isnt car wax that builded up under there?
Old 01-23-2002, 02:34 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Those doorhandle trim pieces don't come body color (everyone's are black). I know because I had to have mine painted body color. I think your problem is external. Just remove the white stuff, whatever it is, and you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:38 AM

Re: :o)

*bump*

Seriously, they are painted without a doubt, deep evergreen like my car, and the more I try to remove the white stuff, the more the green stuff cracks off and leaves white underneath. Just so we're on the same page, its the little strip area right outside the oval door handle assembly. Some sort of rubberish watertight seal that probably never should have been painted. Maybe my 97 SE is a wacked out production test? So far I am unable to remove any of the white stuff because its on there pretty nasty, kind of looks like crusty white masking tape now, there's no way to get it off

Originally posted by ptatohed
Those doorhandle trim pieces don't come body color (everyone's are black). I know because I had to have mine painted body color. I think your problem is external. Just remove the white stuff, whatever it is, and you should be fine. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:50 PM

*bump*

ok i took a better look, it may be black, i can't tell the color difference at all from up close.. how would i replace it in any matter?
Old 01-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by MaximaGTR34
*bump*

Seriously, they are painted without a doubt, deep evergreen like my car, and the more I try to remove the white stuff, the more the green stuff cracks off and leaves white underneath. Just so we're on the same page, its the little strip area right outside the oval door handle assembly. Some sort of rubberish watertight seal that probably never should have been painted. Maybe my 97 SE is a wacked out production test? So far I am unable to remove any of the white stuff because its on there pretty nasty, kind of looks like crusty white masking tape now, there's no way to get it off

Well, I beleive you that yours are painted but trust me when I say they shouldn't be. Was your car ever repainted for any reason? Anyway, I think the only thing to do would be to take them off and put new ones on (hopefully they are affordable). Call Nissan and find out. You will need to remove the door panels and then the doorhandles. It's not that easy but can be done. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Well, I beleive you that yours are painted but trust me when I say they shouldn't be. Was your car ever repainted for any reason? Anyway, I think the only thing to do would be to take them off and put new ones on (hopefully they are affordable). Call Nissan and find out. You will need to remove the door panels and then the doorhandles. It's not that easy but can be done. Good luck.
Yes I am stupid.. I figured it out. Anyhow, it is just a layer of masking tape on there that the body shop forgot to remove after repainting one side of my car from the car accident i got into a few months ago. The masking tape is peeling off, so I had to expedite the process. This explains why it is body colored and not just the black rubber that its supposed to be underneath. Anyhow, thanks for your help. I get it now.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by MaximaGTR34

Yes I am stupid.. I figured it out. Anyhow, it is just a layer of masking tape on there that the body shop forgot to remove after repainting one side of my car from the car accident i got into a few months ago. The masking tape is peeling off, so I had to expedite the process. This explains why it is body colored and not just the black rubber that its supposed to be underneath. Anyhow, thanks for your help. I get it now.

Good for you.