4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anti theft idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anti theft idea

Yet another Max was stolen yesterday. I'm getting my Max back any day now after it was stolen and recovered. So I've been thinking about anti theft devices and I found the Autolock. This device attaches to the brake and prevents the brake from being used.
www.autolock.com
The problem with this device or so I have read is it can be broken by using leverage.

I have an idea that might work. My idea is to make a lock similar but one that wouldn't be so large. This device would extend from its base which would sit on the cars floor up and enclose the brake pedal arm. There would have to be some sort of a lock to open and close the top section (the area around the brake arm).

This lock would prevent the brake from being used and the trans would not be able to be taken out of Park.
Similarly it can be used on the clutch pedal.

This would not be able to be broken easily (I think) and would be made of steel or stainless steel and very hard to saw apart. The bad is that it would require the person to get under the steering wheel to lock and unlock.
It would have to be made specifically for one car in order to fit tightly.

I would like to know what people here think about this. Is it worth the effort? Any suggestions for improving it?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2002, 10:21 AM

Re: anti theft idea

Originally posted by kmax
Yet another Max was stolen yesterday. I'm getting my Max back any day now after it was stolen and recovered. So I've been thinking about anti theft devices and I found the Autolock. This device attaches to the brake and prevents the brake from being used.
www.autolock.com
The problem with this device or so I have read is it can be broken by using leverage.

I have an idea that might work. My idea is to make a lock similar but one that wouldn't be so large. This device would extend from its base which would sit on the cars floor up and enclose the brake pedal arm. There would have to be some sort of a lock to open and close the top section (the area around the brake arm).

This lock would prevent the brake from being used and the trans would not be able to be taken out of Park.
Similarly it can be used on the clutch pedal.

This would not be able to be broken easily (I think) and would be made of steel or stainless steel and very hard to saw apart. The bad is that it would require the person to get under the steering wheel to lock and unlock.
It would have to be made specifically for one car in order to fit tightly.

I would like to know what people here think about this. Is it worth the effort? Any suggestions for improving it?
Thanks

Hmm I wonder if they might just use the e-brake instead or maybe floor the frigin thing and never stop. It looks as if it would work but that steering wheel cover, UGhhh you might as well put a dead fish hanging from your rear view.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:45 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Just remember if someone wants your ride bad enough, they will get it.

I understand you want to keep the LAME car thiefs out , but lots of good cars thieves can bypass ANYTHING.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: anti theft idea

Originally posted by mass_maxx

Hmm I wonder if they might just use the e-brake instead or maybe floor the frigin thing and never stop. It looks as if it would work but that steering wheel cover, UGhhh you might as well put a dead fish hanging from your rear view.
Ugly yes. But woirth it to come out and find your car where you left it.

SuDZ
Old 01-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Gene Portnoy

Check this out
http://www.tirelock.com/current/antitheft.html[/url]

Old 01-24-2002, 10:55 AM

Re: anti theft idea

Originally posted by kmax

Thanks
How about wiring one of your switches to the ignition, so that you would only be able to start the car with the switch on (i.e. headlights, pushed in cig. lighter etc). These ideas have been discussed here before and to me they make more sense than crude locks.
Another thing that you could look into is the gearshift lock. These are popular in S. Africa. I think they are also made by an Israeli Mul-T-Lock, which is the only company that has it in the States.
Don't forget, however, that the thieves could always come with the tow truck.....

Roman