4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAF Sensor with Pop Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 10:49 PM

MAF Sensor with Pop Charger

Okay I put in my Pop Charger air intake filter a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be working great. The only problem is with the stock air box, there was a place for the MAF sensor to plug into. Now that I have the pop charger on, there is no place to plug it in, so my check engine light has come on. I did a self-diagnostic on it and it showed that there was an error with the sensor which makes sense. I'm just wondering what everybody else does with this problem, if they even have this problem?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: MAF Sensor with Pop Charger

What I did was zip-tie the sensor near the strut-tower. Everything is fine, no engine-check light. However, I believe that he sensor my get dirty after some time. Just clean it every now and then and everything should be fine.

Originally posted by SoccrZ
Okay I put in my Pop Charger air intake filter a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be working great. The only problem is with the stock air box, there was a place for the MAF sensor to plug into. Now that I have the pop charger on, there is no place to plug it in, so my check engine light has come on. I did a self-diagnostic on it and it showed that there was an error with the sensor which makes sense. I'm just wondering what everybody else does with this problem, if they even have this problem?
Old 01-25-2002, 10:54 PM

But doesn't the sensor have to plug into something? How would you zip tie it and still have the check engine light not come on? I'm confused.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: MAF Sensor with Pop Charger

Originally posted by SoccrZ
The MAF should just plug right back in. Maybe you could post some pics so it would be a bit more clear.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:00 PM

Okay, I'll try to explain it in better detail, but if that doesnt work, I will post some pics. Before I put in the pop charger, there was the stock air box. The box had a place on it for the MAF sensor to plug into, in order to read temperature of the air or something like that. When I took the air box off in order to put the pop charger on, the plug for the sensor, since it was attached to the box, went along with, meaning there was the MAF sensor just hanging there, not plugged into anything. Because of this, the engine light came on. I hope this fully explains the problem, but if not I'll post some pics.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:06 PM

Re: Re: MAF Sensor with Pop Charger

Originally posted by 96max
What I did was zip-tie the sensor near the strut-tower. Everything is fine, no engine-check light. However, I believe that he sensor my get dirty after some time. Just clean it every now and then and everything should be fine.

I'm really confused. Could someone please post some pics? I just installed a pop charger myself and am rather confused on what you're talking about.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:08 PM

hmm MAF? don't you mean the air temperature sensor? Do you have a 95-96 or 97-99? The 95-96's have an air temperature sensor mounted onto the stock air box and the 97-99s do not. The sensor you are talking about is a small oval shaped thing with a little bulge sticking out correct? If this is the sensor you are talking about, just connect the sensor back and zip tie it to any secure spot you can find. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, otherwise I would post some pics to show you what I mean.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:12 PM

Yeah actually I think it is the air temp. sensor. I have a 95 Max, and yes that's what the air sensor looks like. I don't understand what you mean when you connect it back when the place to connect it is on the stock air box which was removed.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:14 PM

Here try this.
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/intake.html
Take a look at the first pic on this page. At the neck of the intake thre is a sensor is this the one you are talking about? If so you can zip tie it right above the intake on the strut tower.

Sorry, let me clarify. Plug it back in then zip tie the actual sensor to the strut tower.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:15 PM

hhh, yes. You should be more clear about the part you are talking about, the intake air temp sensor and the MAF are two TOTALLY different things. Makes it kind of hard to help you if you tell us the wrong part name.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:18 PM

Well I read a couple places that that is what it was called. My mistake.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:20 PM

Here try this.
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/intake.html
Take a look at the first pic on this page. At the neck of the intake thre is a sensor is this the one you are talking about? If so you can zip tie it right above the intake on the strut tower.

Sorry, let me clarify. Plug it back in then zip tie the actual sensor to the strut tower.
But what am I supposed to plug it into? There is no plug for it on the pop charger. Maybe I'm just being an idiot.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:26 PM

Nah, I'm just not explaining clearly, really tired. Anyways, I'll try again and pay attention to what I type now. Okay there are two ends to the sensor right. At one end of the wire is a plug with some metal contacts correct? At the other end is the actual sensor itself (the oval bronze peice). First, plug the end with the contacts back into the conenctor if you had removed it in the first place when you removed your stock airbox. Then get a zip tie and tie the actual sensor part to anything nearby. Before I mentioned the strut tower because that is where I zip-tied mine. If you like I'll photoshop an arrow into that picture on the link I provided before and e-mail it to you. It will probably clear things up.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:28 PM

Nah, I'm just not explaining clearly, really tired. Anyways, I'll try again and pay attention to what I type now. Okay there are two ends to the sensor right. At one end of the wire is a plug with some metal contacts correct? At the other end is the actual sensor itself (the oval bronze peice). First, plug the end with the contacts back into the conenctor if you had removed it in the first place when you removed your stock airbox. Then get a zip tie and tie the actual sensor part to anything nearby. Before I mentioned the strut tower because that is where I zip-tied mine. If you like I'll photoshop an arrow into that picture on the link I provided before and e-mail it to you. It will probably clear things up.
Okay, I think I understand now. I'll try to get the plug from the stock air box tomorrow to try and connect it back. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-25-2002, 11:36 PM

Alrite, here's the pic.
http://members.asianavenue.com/BadBadtz-Maru/intake.jpg
hope it helps