4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternative routes for removing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alternative routes for removing water pump

So to pretty much some it up, I have everything taken care of and removed up to inserting the M8x1.25 bolts into the top and bottom holes of the pump. It was the end of the day, i decided to at least get the bolts started into the threading. The next morning I didn't even check to make sure they were threaded up right and just went in. I know i'm really stupid for this but I'm 20 and learning lol.

As a result, the corner of the top water pump screw hole broke off. I'm sure part of it is in the timing chain cover but I'll deal with that once I get the damn thing out.

But how? I can no longer walk it out with two bolts, but it's not like that completely prohibits me from getting it out. There's gotta be some relatively simple alternative way to walk it out, but I haven't been able to with any tools I got.

Any suggestions? Not looking to pull the motor or anything since it's my brothers car that already ran like crap and atp we're just trying to fix it up good and resell it.

Thanks in advance, here are some pics

Old 06-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Based on photo # 1, it doesn't appear that you've released the tension in the timing chain.

Without having done that, you will not get the pump out.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Based on photo # 1, it doesn't appear that you've released the tension in the timing chain.

Without having done that, you will not get the pump out.
There is no tension, the timing chain tensioner is out of the car.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Isn't there someone on here that knows a lot about this kind of stuff??
Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 AM

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9042088
Old 06-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Solved

Quick question, do I have to worry about the little aluminum piece that broke off and went into the timing chain cover? I guess I could get a magnetic snake but won't it just come out when I change the oil?

My man you just saved me $500!! I knew I could do something like that, just didn't know what tool could latch on to it and pull in the tight of a space. But, thanks to the thread you mentioned, i was able to construct my own tool out of a piece of wood I found lying around and some screws/nuts/washers.

First I just sloppily drilled some screw holes which would let me adjust to the water pump teeth (originally I didn't make them adjustable and it made things more difficult)

Then put played around with screws/nuts/washers until I got a fairly ideal setup. This was the best I came up with though:

And made it so it attached to the water pump teeth like this

And after about 30 min of struggling/cussing, i got it nudged into a pretty good spot, got a crow bar and rubber mallet and after enough manpower, it popped out!!

Voila, problem solved. My advice to anyone that does this in the future--be cautious, somewhat gentle, and take measurements of the area before buying any bolts (about a 3.5" gap, I used 5/16" x 3.5" bolts and i wish I found skinnier bolts that would have fit between the teeth better, as well as had a larger head or attached washers).

Thanks for the help Turbobink, you made my day not crappy

Last edited by CrowzRSA; 06-09-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: question
Old 06-09-2015, 04:44 PM

^^^ all I did was a little searching buddy.

You got that broken bolt taken care of?