4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some troubleshooting ideas for leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:07 AM

Need some troubleshooting ideas for leak.

Hi everyone I'm back and at it again. Still trying to locate the oil/ps leak. Just to get everyone caught up. Here is the following things I have done to it. Replaced the VC gaskets, replaced the small o-rings behind the rear TC, replaced the front crankshaft oil seal, replaced the half moon seals in the upper oil pan, replaced the oil pressure sensor, and replaced the PS return hose (OEM).

I added UV dye to my engine to check for leaks and fortunately there isn't any leak for oil. To further my check I removed the PS pump and ran the engine to check if anything leaked while under operating temperature, that past the test (no smoke).

But here is the problem now. After putting everything back and replacing the return PS return hose (because the old hose was too brittle to hold fluid) and driving it for awhile there is still PS fluid leak somewhere. I check the return hose for leakage, but that checked out fine (no fluid at the clamp area).

So now my next idea is to run the car, just idling, without the passenger axle and turn the steering wheel lock to lock to see where the PS fluid is coming from. Because I suspect that my PS pump is bad somehow and is squirting fluid up on to the exhaust stud nearest to it.

My question, Is this a good idea? Will I do damage to the transmission if I idle my car without the passenger axle missing?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 AM

Automatic transmission?

I think that's a bad idea because you'll lose transmission fluid and you don't want to run on low fluid.

Just my opinion..wait for others to chime in.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 AM

if you decide to go that route, have as buddy on hand to monitor fluid levels, there are a couple common problem spots with the 4th gen ps system but i couldn't identify them for you, someone else can chime in
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Automatic transmission?
Yes it is an automatic, forgot to mention that.

What if I can find a plug that fits into the axle hole to keep it from leaking out fluid. My main concern is not having something in the tranny, like an axle, and causing some kind of problem.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM

I never could pinpoint my leak so I just replaced the high pressure line and all is well now. It was probably leaking above the banjo fitting inside the hose shielding.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
if you decide to go that route, have as buddy on hand to monitor fluid levels, there are a couple common problem spots with the 4th gen ps system but i couldn't identify them for you, someone else can chime in
I can't really think of anywhere else PS fluid can leak out of. I only read threads about the return hose and the high pressure hose for the 5th gens, which both aren't leaking anything.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by arcticracer
I never could pinpoint my leak so I just replaced the high pressure line and all is well now. It was probably leaking above the banjo fitting inside the hose shielding.
Really? it leaked out of there. Did you include new copper washers with your hose? And what hose did you get, I read that aftermarket brands causes a whining noise?
Old 07-13-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNoob98
Really? it leaked out of there. Did you include new copper washers with your hose? And what hose did you get, I read that aftermarket brands causes a whining noise?
Yes they do! I HATE mine. Trust me, pay double the price for Nissan.

Maybe the Power Steering Rack is leaking. If it's leaking on the right, it will drip on the exhaust!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Yes they do! I HATE mine. Trust me, pay double the price for Nissan.

Maybe the Power Steering Rack is leaking. If it's leaking on the right, it will drip on the exhaust!
After poking around under the car I just found out that my rack is leaking fluid too. It is leaking near where the steering column connects to the rack and pinion, more specifically, there is fluid where a large threaded plug is.

Should have known my rack and pinion is bad. Found out that both dust boot were torn after i bought it. Previous owner must had driven it like that for a long time. Now it has new boots.

Another thing I notice while poking around is that my exhaust heat shield is oozing out PS fluid in between the sheet metal along the edge near the O2 sensor. I don't know how this is possible.

Although, a leaking rack and pinion does not explain how PS fluid can get on the exhaust studs and the heat shield.

Last edited by MaxiNoob98; 07-13-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM

arcticracer and KP11520,

Did you get the wet exhaust stud symptom before changing out your high pressure line? I don't know if my high pressure line is leaking or not because I can't seem to fine any wet spots on the line and dropping $150 based on a guess is a little bit too much too for me. What other symptoms did you have prior to the change?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:15 AM

My whole underside was coated in ps fluid as i let it go way too long, so messy I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. I noticed the hi press line had a pretty thick build up of crud so just replaced with a used oem hose off one of my parts cars.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Well I finally found and stop the leak. It turns out to be my power steering rack that was causing the smoking issue. I originally replaced the rack and pinion bellows thinking that would be good enough as a repair, which caused me to think that my rack and pinion wasn't the issue. I hope this helps future people searching for leak information.

Thanks you for everyone's help here.