4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rpms jumping and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:43 AM
JvG

The clutch will bleed easily after a direct master to slave clutch line is installed.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:46 AM
JvG

I looked at my engine just now. I saw a bolt next to the fuel pressure regulator. Sand the corrosion from it. Attach jumper to that.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I looked at my engine just now. I saw a bolt next to the fuel pressure regulator. Sand the corrosion from it. Attach jumper to that.
Alright, give us a few minutes. We had to go pick up a rental and get food for the kids. We're doing everything at my mom's house.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:55 PM

We're currently replacing the Bosch iridium plugs I put in 13k ago. In the back row, the middle and right plugs were burnt and in the front, the middle and right were also burnt. Haven't checked the left front because I don't have a spare boot and I have a tendency to tear them. Plugs are being replaced with NGK Laser Platinums.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:32 PM

New plugs and boots in, still can't rev higher than 2400, which is about where I would shift it if I was able to drive it. Also noticed this:

I don't remember seeing this anywhere and I'm not sure where this goes, because neither of us can see where the other end of this is.

I'm still getting a p0100 code. I may be wrong but I'm assuming it's from this hose.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Asand1, I believe the op is in the middle of the 36 hour window they had to get the entire project done. The op seemed competent.
The next communication was how to get the shafts loose, followed by how to bleed the clutch. I'm assuming the questions follow the normal flow of problems.

It would be helpful if the op would check in to let us know what is going on.
Originally Posted by maxima297
Sadly, we gave up. Now I can't get my clutch to come off the floor. The guys are trying to bleed it but they've been at it for half an hour now and there's only slight pressure.
Originally Posted by maxima297
My apologies, sleep and food were necessary.

We got as far as trying to remove the driver side axle. It wouldn't come out on either end. We even tried disconnecting the tierod, strut and lca to move the hub out with the axle. No go. I stupidly went underneath hoping to disconnect the axle at the boot, forgetting it's just a boot holding grease around the axle. So I gave up and had the guys put the wheels back together. Also, in the process of removing the wheel mount, I was trying to disconnect the clutch hose, where the damper is, I didn't take the screw all the way out but it did leak some. I screwed it back in and then when I reassembled the battery and air intake areas, tried to start the car. She starts, but even in neutral will stall out unless you keep the clutch planted to the floor. I can start it in any gear but I cannot shift it.
Unfortunately It got too tough, and the lack of experience and confidence proved too much. I would not thow any more money at this car until the clutch can get replace one way or another.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Unfortunately It got too tough, and the lack of experience and confidence proved too much. I would not thow any more money at this car until the clutch can get replace one way or another.
I don't know the first thing about taking axles and wheel systems apart. I left it up to the guys who by the way, had zero faith in my ability to tear apart the transmission and replace the clutch. That in itself is not a difficult task. I know I can do it, but they (particularly my usually positive and supportive boyfriend) didn't put much effort into helping me get that far. I'm not happy about it at all. They refuse to take it all apart again as well. So I get to spend tomorrow morning looking for a shop to take my car in, so I can spend money I don't have, to have my daily driver back on the road.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:14 AM
JvG

The difficult part would be to get this done in 36 hours.
Having a spare vehicle available while the daily driver
Is worked on makes life much less stressful.

I would have to familiarize myself with the shafts. Anything
new takes time to learn.

Too bad about lack of help and support. Both physical and emotional.
I have been in your shoes. Primary car, much work needed, little money.

All the while thinking, and knowing.... I can ALMOST this.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
The difficult part would be to get this done in 36 hours.
Having a spare vehicle available while the daily driver
Is worked on makes life much less stressful.

I would have to familiarize myself with the shafts. Anything
new takes time to learn.

Too bad about lack of help and support. Both physical and emotional.
I have been in your shoes. Primary car, much work needed, little money.

All the while thinking, and knowing.... I can ALMOST this.
It's extremely frustrating. And I didn't know about the bolts underneath that hold the shafts in. I literally walked away in tears because no one else wanted to continue the project, and all I wanted was the fn shaft out so I could do what I had to do. We had only put 4 hours into it at that point. I had the car at a place where I could have come back after work to continue working on it, but I was outnumbered by "older and more experienced" people in this decision.

I'd like to thank all of you who contributed to this discussion and helped me out. I learned quite a bit from you guys.