4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Paintless Dent Removal Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Paintless Dent Removal Tools

I would like to hear from anyone that might know a source for purchasing just a few of the tools that are used in performing the "paintless dent removal" that is a common alternative to traditional body work when automobiles are damaged by hail.

I have two or three dents on my hood that I would like to try to remove using this method and I don't want to pay 250.00 to a "Paintless Dent Removal" Service to have them removed.

If anybody has any experience with this I would appreciate some input.

An entire set of tools is not necessary for what I want to do since I can just remove the panel on the hood and access these places that can be reached through access holes in the supports or are readily reachable.

I just want a couple of those specialty tools. Anybody know a source for buying these?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 01-27-2002, 10:35 PM

Re: Paintless Dent Removal Tools

Originally posted by White96MaxSE
I would like to hear from anyone that might know a source for purchasing just a few of the tools that are used in performing the "paintless dent removal" that is a common alternative to traditional body work when autombiles are damaged by hail.

I have two or three dents on my hood that I would like to try to remove using this method and I don't want to pay 250.00 to a "Paintless Dent Removal" Service to have them removed.

If anybody has any experience with this I would appreciate some input.

An entire set of tools is not necessary for what I want to do since I can just remove the panel on the hood and access these places that can be reached through access holes in the supports or are readily reachable.

I just want a couple of those specialty tools. Anybody know a source for buying these?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
I would just go to a place the repairs hail damage (if you can)and get them to do it. If it is easily accessible it won't cost very much. If it is on your doors ask how much it would be if you stripped the doors yourself. it's probably cheaper to do that than buy the tools ... especially if there hasn't been hail recently ... I guess it depends on where you live....I guess there's no hail in CA.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Let the Pro's do it

I had 2 small dings in my front fender. I went to Dent Dr. here in NJ. $135 / pannel. The car came back PERFECT! Let the pro's do it, it's worth the cash.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:50 AM

Let the pros do it!

They make it look much easier than what it really is!

Get a hook up.

Talk to someone that works for one of these companies and get them to do it in their off hours. Many of these fine gentleman do this type of work on the side with their own tools and the price is cheaper.

Little known secret!!

Not really, BTW where are you located?
DL
Old 01-28-2002, 08:34 PM

Re: Let the pros do it!

Originally posted by dlicari
They make it look much easier than what it really is!

Get a hook up.

Talk to someone that works for one of these companies and get them to do it in their off hours. Many of these fine gentleman do this type of work on the side with their own tools and the price is cheaper.

Little known secret!!

Not really, BTW where are you located?
DL
I'm in the Kansas City Area.

I actually have had a couple of quotes. I just haven't acted on them yet.

I have had the technique demonstrated to me. I may end up going to a pro in the end, but I still would like to here some more opinions from others on the org about this.

White96MaxSE
Old 01-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try using some dry ice to make it smooth again, that is, if there is no crease lines. The dry ice is relativly cheap, $5 for 5 lb. Give it a try its only $5 and might save you that $200
Old 01-28-2002, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
try using some dry ice to make it smooth again, that is, if there is no crease lines. The dry ice is relativly cheap, $5 for 5 lb. Give it a try its only $5 and might save you that $200
Huh? That's a new one to me! how does that work?
Old 01-29-2002, 08:54 AM
rupinsjo

Re: Let the Pro's do it

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I had 2 small dings in my front fender. I went to Dent Dr. here in NJ. $135 / pannel. The car came back PERFECT! Let the pro's do it, it's worth the cash.

Where in Jersey is Dr. Dent located?

Old 01-29-2002, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by nigelcmf

Huh? That's a new one to me! how does that work?
Yes please explain this! I have a dent in my door I am about to pay Dent Doctor $100 for so $5 is nothing even if it doesn't work!
-Cyrus
Old 01-29-2002, 10:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Let the Pro's do it

Originally posted by rupinsjo

Where in Jersey is Dr. Dent located?
If I remember it was Leonia or Teaneck.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:37 AM

use dry ice

on a really really hot day, like 100 plus, you get a paper towel and some dry ice and set the dry ice over the ding (paper towel between car and dry ice) and it will pop out some small dings. I havent seen this but my mom has seen it. worth a shot at least, and it makes sense.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:12 AM
MDr

Where do you buy dry ice ?
Originally posted by Mad Dhan
[BThe dry ice is relativly cheap, $5 for 5 lb. Give it a try its only $5 and might save you that $200 [/B]
Old 01-29-2002, 11:20 AM

kroger has it, or some ice cream stores.

and i didnt realize that idea had already been posted. also how funny is that,

mom: "where you going?"
me: "to the ice cream store."
mom: "why?"
me: "to fix my car"

that would be a funny conversation
Old 01-29-2002, 11:36 AM

dry ice

so you gotta wait til a real hot day huh..
shoudl this work on quarter size dents

how do you guys deal with scratches big and small?
Old 01-29-2002, 11:42 AM

toothepaste for scratches

nah, just kidding. i dont know what size dents it works on i just know it works on some. and yah, you have to wait for a hot day or at least get the metal hot, heat gun maybe but that may screw paint up or something. i wanna try it but last summer nobody carried dry ice but now my grocery store does.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:18 PM

I wonder if experimenting with sheet metal, an oven and ice is worth a try.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:37 PM

I already tried dry ice and it didn't work for the ones on my hood that I tried the dry ice on. I should have mentioned that I had tried that already, but I think they have to be pretty small. In fact I have to wonder if small ones would come out on their own as the hood heated up during the day and cooled at night causing expansion and contraction of the metal.

Ok so;

Dr. Dent is one option. Is Dr. Dent using a vacuum cup on the dent to pop it out with suction?

Professional "Paintless Dent Removal" with tools from the backside of the body part is another option backed by three replies that say "Leave it to the Pros". This carries some weight to me.

Back to my original question. Is there a source for some "Paintless Dent removal" tools that I could practice on with some junk hoods or something to learn how to do it?

White96MaxSE
Old 01-29-2002, 06:13 PM

How?

How does dry ice get the dents out?
Old 01-29-2002, 06:17 PM

But...

Can't the dry ice pull of your paint? And exactly how do you do it - just place dry ice on the other side of a paper towel and rub it against the car?
-Cyrus
Old 01-29-2002, 06:26 PM

from what i understand

the metal is really hot and expanded. When you force the ice onto the hot metal it makes it contract and fixes the dent. as for the paint that is why the paper towel is used.

the best analogy i can think of is when you put a beer can in the freezer and it explodes. wait, thats not a very good analogy but man does that suck, this ever happen to anybody?

ok a better analogy.. you know when you put really hot water in a can and seal it up, and then put it in cold water and the can crushes itself, i think this is the same thing.

remember i have never done, nor seen this.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:35 PM

sounds risky now-
it still makes sense but what if it makes the thing bump out or do some totally unexpected $hi+
someone ask a pro about this
Old 01-29-2002, 06:45 PM

agreed

agreed
Old 01-29-2002, 10:12 PM

It is amazing that tools to work on these dents using Paintless Dent Removal techniques are not available somewhere!

Nobody knows where one could buy these tools?

I've seen sets for sale on Ebay, but I just want a couple of these hand tools, not a full set.

White96MaxSE
Old 01-29-2002, 11:33 PM

Here you go, this is the way i would do it, no paper towel is needed. It does no damage to the paint:

Dry Ice will condense metal and thereby shrink small dents on your car. Place the Dry Ice on the inside of the dent if possible. Use heavy gloves and press flat sheet against dent. If it is not possible to get on the inside concave part of the dent, then using heavy gloves hold the Dry Ice so a corner can fit into the bottom lowest part of the cratered dent. Hold the Dry Ice until the metal is frosted at least 2 inches beyond the dent. Let the metal warm up (in the sun is the best) and repeat the procedure. Sometimes the dent will pop out perfectly. More often it will not be possible to get a flat smooth finish, but the dent will be reduced noticeably. Creased metal will still show the crease line but the dent will be far less pronounced. I have not seen any paint damage, but I'm sure if the paint is not strongly adhered, it could peel away.

If any of you guys are in the San Fernando Vally and want to try this, i sell dry ice at my work so let me know if you guys need any, it'll cost aobut $5
Old 02-04-2002, 08:43 PM

Ok, If anyone is interested.

I found the Paintless Dent Removal Tools Website myself.

Several different types of sets, hail wires, starter sets, Video Instruction tape.

http://www.paintlessdentrepairtools.com

White96MaxSE