4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Guy with Old Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Guy with Old Maxima!

Hey all..... I just acquired a '99 Maxima with 200k on the clock.

I got it for free..... it has been sitting for a couple of years (outdoors under pine trees unfortunately) so it needs a SERIOUS detail.

It's rusty, but I like this car! Black on black. heated leather.... Bose sound. I'm going to daily this thing and see how many more miles I can get out of it.

One quirk, dunno if this is common or not.... every now and then the car will not shift out of 2nd gear, but all you need to do is slide it into neutral (while your still driving) turn it off, then start it back up immediately, slap er back into drive and it's fine. This tells me it is something electronic, and not mechanical.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:42 PM

Welcome to Maxima.org.

The transmission thing is not a common happening. I don't know much about the automatic trans, so I can't give you any real help on that.

Here is a link to the service manual. Section AT is the auto trans section. Section IDX is the master alphabetical index.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1999/
Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 PM
JvG

Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about a/t either.
If worst comes to worst, you might need a different transmission.
How would you feel about doing that yourself?

If a car for sale had been parked for more than a month or three, I always wonder what the back story is. Maybe a dead transmission, or on borrowed time.

Please don't spend any money on the car, or on cans of sap remover until you figure out what is going on with the transmission, also what mechanical work the car needs.

If it won't shift out of second, an electric soliniod might have issues. Other members with a/t can offer better assistance than I can.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Guys!!

No, it wouldn't be worth it for a tranny swap. I do have the back story on the car though.... It was bought new by a friend of my dad's, once the transmission thing started to happen they were ready to move on. It was then passed along to my pops, who discovered the "slap it in neutral, shut it off and then back on, put in drive" trick. He then drove the car as his beater for about a year or so. The car then began to act up.... running rough at idle, wanting to stall, etc. so he just parked it. There it sat for quite sometime.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, he needed to pull a trailer out that was behind the car. He moved the Maxima, and I over heard him trying to give it to one of his buddies but they didn't want it. I chimed in, and now I'm the owner. A mechanic buddy fixed the idel problem. (new coil, and a fouled plug). Now it's just sitting in my shop waiting for the new tags, and a good cleaning.

For some reason.... I really like this car. lol. I dunno, it's like when something 'speaks to you' but you can't explain it.

...."drive me... drive me.... ".....
Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 PM

Fix up the problem and it should be good for plenty of miles I suppose, how is the condition on the body/interior? Well taken care of? Fight the problem and solve it, it's all about winning the challenge. It can be done.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:23 PM
JvG

Sounds like the car needs differed maintenance, but only after the transmission is fixed, or replaced. See what's involved with the fix. or replace it your self with a used unit. lots of instructions on the forum.

I helped a friend who had parked her 2007 Pathfinder under a pine tree for a while. We gave it a bath. After it dried, I started at the top with rags and kerosene. Apply, let it sit for as long as it takes to drink a beer, then rub and wipe off the tree pitch. Be sure to wash the car immediately afterwards. Don't want to harm the paint.

I have a 96 s e 200 k miles. had it for almost ten years. it is a great car. Reliable, fun, durable, and cheap. Holds a family, or several friends. What's not to like? Not much....
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Welcome. Mine sat under a pine tree too! Like 2-3 years I don't remember. Got it for free from friends mom.