4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 max ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:13 PM

99 max ticking noise?

Hopefully someone can help me out...my max has been sitting for the past year ,ive started it every once in awhile until the battery got drained from not driving it and just letting it sit idle for 10 minutes maybe once a month.... But to get to the point the last time i started it about 5 days ago(probably 20-30 degrees out) using a jumper pack( because battery is dead) i popped the hood to notice a "ticking" noise that was not there before. I have a video of the engine running up close but cant figure out how to attach a video from my phone but can email to anyone that would like to see . Please anyone give me some input.. Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM

injectors probably, as it gets colder they get louder. i noticed that with my max.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:39 PM

It could be the injectors,or the ticking click noise like iacv on the throttle body, or the oil not reaching the top due to the cold weather,a car that's been sitting for a while the oil is gonna be all on the bottom of the pan, for how many days the car been sitting,remember the car is gonna be bone dry,until it gets started up
Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
injectors probably, as it gets colder they get louder. i noticed that with my max.
Thats what a friend said ...any way to tell for sure if thats it
Old 01-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
It could be the injectors,or the ticking click noise like iacv on the throttle body, or the oil not reaching the top due to the cold weather,a car that's been sitting for a while the oil is gonna be all on the bottom of the pan, for how many days the car been sitting,remember the car is gonna be bone dry,until it gets started up
Would oil change solve the issue ..i was reading it could be the lifters tapping but was truly hoping that was wrong...what type of damage if any might i be looking at
Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 PM

Before the oil change just check the oil level on the dipstick if it's low, than that's what most likely your definite problem. Just change the oil 4.8qts just to get all of the top of the engine some more oil. Go with a good synthetic oil blend.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
Before the oil change just check the oil level on the dipstick if it's low, than that's what most likely your definite problem. Just change the oil 4.8qts just to get all of the top of the engine some more oil. Go with a good synthetic oil blend.
Thank you ill give it a try
Old 01-09-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DrewFree
Would oil change solve the issue ..i was reading it could be the lifters tapping but was truly hoping that was wrong...what type of damage if any might i be looking at
Actually VQ30DE does not use hydraulic lifters - HLAs. If the noise disappears after the engine warms up, it could be the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is taking some extra time to fully recover from from the engine sitting.

I had to replace the tensioner on my 99 I30 at approximately 225,000 miles due to the noise it made from the chain slapping against the upper guides when the engine was cold. It produced a ticking sound was reminiscent of a HLA tick on an older US vehicle -- until the engine warmed up.

+1 to vqmaxman's recommendation.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Actually VQ30DE does not use hydraulic lifters - HLAs. If the noise disappears after the engine warms up, it could be the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is taking some extra time to fully recover from from the engine sitting.

I had to replace the tensioner on my 99 I30 at approximately 225,000 miles due to the noise it made from the chain slapping against the upper guides when the engine was cold. It produced a ticking sound was reminiscent of a HLA tick on an older US vehicle -- until the engine warmed up.

+1 to vqmaxman's recommendation.
I also saw that somewhere any concerns i shoild have about the timing chain itself....my max only has 95,000 on it
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 PM
JvG

No one ever seems to complain about the timing chains.
You have half the mileage as most of us do.

The tensioners are discussed, but don't seem to be a common problem.

It's possible that you won't have to deal with any of it until the water pump needs replacement.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:33 AM

Put ur ear next to the idle air control valve and Tps sensor to see if there the ones causing the ticking noise. That's where mine came from but it's now gone thanks to the car idling properly like it should. Try to clean your throttle body as it will help and restore your idle and performance to normal. What happens is that if the idle is low the iacv or Tps are going to try to fix the low idle by raising the rpm somehow which puts stress on those parts. So just clean the throttle body as the all the gunk build up is blocking the air flow to the engine and in return causing the Tps and iacv to try and fix it.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 AM

i've had a code for a clogged egr for months and a timing chain rattle since i bought maxy at 129,000, now she's at 278,000 and after warm up she quiets down and stop making any noise. the oil being a little low can cause lifter noise, i top mine off all the time cause i have leak(s) and she usually runs great.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One single word will sum up this guy's ticking issues."OIL".The ticking your hearing is caused from a dry start.It's cold outside and your oil is thick as needs to be changed.Letting the engine set without starting for long periods of time.Causes the Valve seats to dry out and crack.Which in turn causes gas to get into the oil to cause oil break down.Oil break down can cause your oil pump filter/strainer to plug-up with gum from bad oil.Doesn't take long for oil to break down/go bad.The noise your hearing is your valves rattling from dry lifters.Which in turn will cause,your cam or cams to wear-out in time.Simple solution is to change the oil and never use oil engine flush on any engine to avoid dry starts.If I was gambling man I would place money on your oil pan has metal shavings from your Cam or cams running dry lack of oil.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have read on here that the fuel injectors on our cars are very loud which is something I experience on my car especially when it is cold. I also had a timing chain slap secondary to an outdated tensioner which I am repairing and hopefully writing up.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The VQ does not have hydraulic lifters, it's a bucked and shim setup.
The ticking is probably the fuel injectors, thus the term said on here many times, "ticking VQ". They're a bit noisy, especially when they're cold.

Post the video or a link to it and we'll give a listen.

Upon start up, oil is immediately pumping and oiling the cam lobes as well as the rest of the motor. If that wasn't happening, you'd have a very noticeably loud engine. You'd clearly know something wasn't right and your idiot light for the lack of oil pressure would be on.

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 01-10-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Link to video

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The VQ does not have hydraulic lifters, it's a bucked and shim setup.
The ticking is probably the fuel injectors, thus the term said on here many times, "ticking VQ". They're a bit noisy, especially when they're cold.

Post the video or a link to it and we'll give a listen.

Upon start up, oil is immediately pumping and oiling the cam lobes as well as the rest of the motor. If that wasn't happening, you'd have a very noticeably loud engine. You'd clearly know something wasn't right and your idiot light for the lack of oil pressure would be on.
Thanks for all the support guys still havent had a chance to work on it but heres a link to the video...its dark but nothing to see really the video was taken from right above the valve cover

https://youtu.be/nvdV5s0X05U

Last edited by DrewFree; 01-10-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sounds normal to me.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 AM

don't borrow trouble dude, that's a normal sounding vq. sounds just like mine.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Thanks everyone im guessing it was just the injectors clicking..started it on a little warmer of a day and the noise was gone..my paranoia gets the best of me sometimes
Old 01-14-2016, 07:01 PM

Change the oil, run some Techron with a full tank of 91+ if you want to be extra safe & enjoy your Max!