4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need HELP with a CLUTCH question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 04:17 PM

Need HELP with a CLUTCH question

hey people,

95 GXE (5-speed)

Tonight something strange happened as I drove from my driveway.
The clutch pedal has no pressure at all. I step on it and it feels
like its not there. I also have the hardest time shifting gears. When stopped, I have to force it in 1-st gear and when I put it in reverse I end up grinding it, because its so damn hard to shift.
The car felt fine in the morning. I just dont know what it is.
There is absolutely NO PRESSURE as you step down on the clutch.
I am going to the dealer tomorow.
Can anyone share some thoughts on this, please?

Thanks, ///John
Old 01-28-2002, 04:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah, something is wrong w/ with it.

Your description is too vague. It could be low level, leaking clutch line, leaky clutch cylinder, stuck T/O bearing.........

Just see what the dealer has to say.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:02 PM

Re: Need HELP with a CLUTCH question

WAIT!
First check your clutch fluid level. I had the same problem, filled up my clutch resevoir and bled the system. Problem solved. YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF. When you bleed the system you should look closely for leaks in the clutch master and slave cylinder and along the line connecting the two. I couldn't find any leaks and I haven't had any problems since.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by 95GoldMax
hey people,

95 GXE (5-speed)

Thanks, ///John
I had the exact same problem on my 95 SE. I had a small leak in a hose by the clutch.

Have a look at www.motorvate.ca click on "Transmission", and then "Hydraulic Hose R&R" to see exactly what my problem was.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:54 PM

These guys are right! just one thing, be careful not to spill clutch fluid on your paint work .... BAD!
Old 01-29-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Need HELP with a CLUTCH question

Originally posted by MaxVQ

I had the exact same problem on my 95 SE. I had a small leak in a hose by the clutch.

Have a look at www.motorvate.ca click on "Transmission", and then "Hydraulic Hose R&R" to see exactly what my problem was.

Good Luck!
MaxVQ - your site is awesome. I wouldn't have been able to find the slave cylinder without it...
Old 01-29-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Need HELP with a CLUTCH question

Originally posted by Pappa Grande

MaxVQ - your site is awesome. I wouldn't have been able to find the slave cylinder without it...
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2002, 10:58 AM

Can't get pressure

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Yeah, something is wrong w/ with it.

Your description is too vague. It could be low level, leaking clutch line, leaky clutch cylinder, stuck T/O bearing.........

Just see what the dealer has to say.
I have replaced the master and slave cylinders and the slave hose, but I can't get any pressure when I am trying to bleed the hydraulic line. The reservoir is full and does not empty when I pump the clutch, but when I bleed it, there is no pressure. The clutch also stays at the floor, no pressure pushing the pedal back up. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: Can't get pressure

Originally posted by hrmax

I have replaced the master and slave cylinders and the slave hose, but I can't get any pressure when I am trying to bleed the hydraulic line. The reservoir is full and does not empty when I pump the clutch, but when I bleed it, there is no pressure. The clutch also stays at the floor, no pressure pushing the pedal back up. Any ideas? Thanks!
Did you follow the instructions "how to bleed the clutch" on www.motorvate.ca to the WORD? (no short cuts?)

If you did, can you pump any fluid out of the clutch resovoir, with the bottom bleeder open?

You could try one of those "vaccuum bleeders" to get the process started. I really don'e like them, but it may help to "prime" the clutch master cylinder.

Good Luck, and let me know.....
Old 12-26-2002, 10:01 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by nigelcmf
just one thing, be careful not to spill clutch fluid on your paint work .... BAD!

I second that!! Chaz spilled some of that fluid while bleeding/filling my system on my FSTB's "hand" that I painted blue, and it freaking ate right through the paint and ruined it. And this is high quality 500 degree NASCAR paint were talkin about here. ($3.25 at local autozone)
Old 12-27-2002, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: Can't get pressure

Originally posted by MaxVQ

Did you follow the instructions "how to bleed the clutch" on www.motorvate.ca to the WORD? (no short cuts?)

If you did, can you pump any fluid out of the clutch resovoir, with the bottom bleeder open?

You could try one of those "vaccuum bleeders" to get the process started. I really don'e like them, but it may help to "prime" the clutch master cylinder.

Good Luck, and let me know.....
I followed the instructions exactly, and after many bleeds, I gome some pressure. However, the pressure point (or the point at which it engauges) is still about 2 inches above the floor. I adjusted the clutch pedal but it didn't help. It shifts fine and goes in and out of gear fine, but if is just way too low. I think that the pressure plate may be wearing down and that is why the pedal is so low. Would that be a probable cause? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:20 AM

John- I had the exact same problem once- except i couldnt go 1st at all and i had to pretty much grind to 2nd and drive home on the highway in 4th- It was my slave cylinder

Originally posted by 95GoldMax
hey people,

95 GXE (5-speed)

Tonight something strange happened as I drove from my driveway.
The clutch pedal has no pressure at all. I step on it and it feels
like its not there. I also have the hardest time shifting gears. When stopped, I have to force it in 1-st gear and when I put it in reverse I end up grinding it, because its so damn hard to shift.
The car felt fine in the morning. I just dont know what it is.

Thanks, ///John
Old 12-27-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Can't get pressure

Originally posted by hrmax

I followed the instructions exactly, and after many bleeds, I gome some pressure. However, the pressure point (or the point at which it engauges) is still about 2 inches above the floor. I adjusted the clutch pedal but it didn't help. It shifts fine and goes in and out of gear fine, but if is just way too low. I think that the pressure plate may be wearing down and that is why the pedal is so low. Would that be a probable cause? Thanks!
If your clutch pedal is engaging lower then before, you have air in the system.

As you push on the pedal, the air must compress and that takes up much pedal travel, thus your clutch is much lower than before.

I don't know what else to suggest. When I changed my slave cylinder it was difficult to get the clutch pedal back to where it was, but after a few hours of bleeding over and over, I finally got that little bit of air that was still in the system.

Have you tried a vaccuum bleeder?