4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sylvania silverstars part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sylvania silverstars part 2

i bought one of these to replace my left headlight, i had two "xenon" blue bulbs and the left one blew after a year, i payed 20 for both of them from this mexican guy off of ebay. honestly i rilly liked them, they looked good from in the car and on the outside, let me tell you, those sylvania silverstars suck!!!! they are horrible they arent even blue or rilly white for that matter, and from the outside they look like normal stock headlights, dont buy them they are junk im gonna try to relocate that guy from ebay, cuz i hear horror stories from people getting these aftermarket ones, but all i can say is a year's worth of rilly good bulbs for 20 bucks a pair aint bad at all.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Isn't the SilverStar supposed to be brighter?

At least that's what they say on their site.

I was looking st getting them , too.

??
Old 01-29-2002, 06:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Isn't the SilverStar supposed to be brighter?

Originally posted by 2dino
At least that's what they say on their site.
I was looking st getting them , too.??
Just upgraded an I30 with Silver Stars. A little brighter then stock with a nice wide beam pattern. HotNew!!NewSN!! was used to his Zenon look-a-likes with the fake blue HID tint. If thats the look your after, then the Silver Stars are not the bulb for you. If you like to actually see where your going at night or in the rain, then the Silver Star is a nice stock upgrade.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:15 AM

njmaxseltd: Couldn't have said it better myself. nm

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
...If thats the look your after, then the Silver Stars are not the bulb for you. If you like to actually see where your going at night or in the rain, then the Silver Star is a nice stock upgrade.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:10 PM

sorry u dont know where to buy bulbs my "fake look alikes" were much brighter then stock, much clearer then stock, and could see much better in the rain, 20 bucks for a pair of fake xenons that lasted over a year, and one still works, was a good deal to me, im gonna try to find the same ones again
Old 01-29-2002, 05:19 PM

Hey let's not fight. I am right in the middle. I bought the cheap Hyper Industies "xenon" bulbs too. I get all kinds of compliments. I had the higher output ones and upgraded my wiring harness. Very bright way better pattern on the road. But.....they did lack in the rain. I like the fake HID look but I want to see far and wide on the road too. Piaa has new Xtreme bulbs coming out but it seems they are around $85 pr. I am hoping someone comes out with a quality look alike HID bulb that gives great preformance in the rain.
Is there any "blue" in the Silverstar bulbs????

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
sorry u dont know where to buy bulbs my "fake look alikes" were much brighter then stock, much clearer then stock, and could see much better in the rain, 20 bucks for a pair of fake xenons that lasted over a year, and one still works, was a good deal to me, im gonna try to find the same ones again
Old 01-29-2002, 06:51 PM

there is no blue at all whatsoever unlike it shows on he back of their box... it always depended on road types for me when it rained, if it was a blacktop road i couldnt see s***, but if it was a gray gravel road i could see awesome, now if i use normal non blue headlights, if it was a blacktop road i couldnt see sh**, if it ws gravel i could somewhat see, as far as im concerned the fake xenons are my pick if i can find those again
Old 01-29-2002, 07:09 PM

ive been using the Cuzo Hyperwhite headlight bulbs for over a year and a half now and they work great, you might want to give them a try
Old 01-29-2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by TN-Max
ive been using the Cuzo Hyperwhite headlight bulbs for over a year and a half now and they work great, you might want to give them a try
where u pick those up?
Old 01-29-2002, 08:51 PM

i got mine at a local import performance shop, but the Cuzo company makes very good lights, these r currently on my 4-Runner (my new max is coming in sometime this week) and i have turn signal lights and all made by them, all have lasted ever since i got them a little over a year and a half ago, im sure u could find them on the internet also; on new max im gonna go with piaa though, a friend of mine has them and i think they are a bit brighter and also have good durability; however they do cost more...Cuzo about $50 and PIAA about $100, so if u got the money id go PIAA if not, the Cuzos are great lights also
Old 01-29-2002, 09:42 PM

i wonder how good the street glow ones are
Old 01-29-2002, 09:56 PM

I think a major factor in the brightness of the bulb is the power handling. Most Xenon bulbs are over 65 watts (mine are 90 watts) while the Silverstars are at stock 45 or 50 watts. Since most of use have the upgraded harness, we should look for bulbs that take more power. It's a shame the Silverstars don't come in 90/110 watts...I'd be all over them.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I think a major factor in the brightness of the bulb is the power handling. Most Xenon bulbs are over 65 watts (mine are 90 watts) while the Silverstars are at stock 45 or 50 watts. Since most of use have the upgraded harness, we should look for bulbs that take more power. It's a shame the Silverstars don't come in 90/110 watts...I'd be all over them.
The only reason I don't have the upgraded harness is because I can't find 90/110 watt bulbs in anything but wannabe-HID blue.

If the SilverStars came in 90/110 I'd definitely get some.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by guido_sst

The only reason I don't have the upgraded harness is because I can't find 90/110 watt bulbs in anything but wannabe-HID blue.

If the SilverStars came in 90/110 I'd definitely get some.
I picked up some SoilverStars today because I wanted something that was not blue just brighter. Is there anything to look for when installing them? On my old Intrepid they were a real PIA to change. Is this the same case with the max?

SuDZ
Old 01-31-2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

I picked up some SoilverStars today because I wanted something that was not blue just brighter. Is there anything to look for when installing them? On my old Intrepid they were a real PIA to change. Is this the same case with the max?

SuDZ
Just as an update I installed those Silver Star 9004ST bulbs. Very nice very white. Looks like a stock bulb would but just brighter.

SuDZ
Old 02-01-2002, 07:31 AM

bulbs are very easy to stall, look for the plastic ring screwdd around the bulb, turn it counter clockwise, the whole fitting comes out, push down on the plastic piece holding the bulb to the harness, that is the only thing that takes some elbow grease, take the plastic ring off the old bulb, make sure to slip it on the new bulb the right way, and make sure u do that before u plug the harness into the new bulb, then put it back in and screw it on again, message me if this is too complicated, i just gotta outta surgery and cant rily type to precise, dont have patience
Old 02-01-2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
bulbs are very easy to stall, look for the plastic ring screwdd around the bulb, turn it counter clockwise, the whole fitting comes out, push down on the plastic piece holding the bulb to the harness, that is the only thing that takes some elbow grease, take the plastic ring off the old bulb, make sure to slip it on the new bulb the right way, and make sure u do that before u plug the harness into the new bulb, then put it back in and screw it on again, message me if this is too complicated, i just gotta outta surgery and cant rily type to precise, dont have patience
That is basicly just what I did. Unscrewing the plastic ring was a little tough though, probably just been on there so long. Now I wanna upgrade the corner bulbs next to them.

SuDZ
Old 02-01-2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by jlwardn
Piaa has new Xtreme bulbs coming out but it seems they are around $85 pr.
the 9004 piaa xtreme white bulbs are already available. i haven't heard if they look good or not though..
Old 02-01-2002, 09:56 AM

cornering bulbs were a bi***, you have to yank out the corner pice with a flathead screwdriver, there is some locking mechanism that seems like it wont let go of the corner piece, i duno how, but just keep yanking i guess, then its easy to do, just make sure it works before u put the thing in, message me if u need help.