4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Phat or Fast???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 07:42 PM

Phat or Fast???

Hey everyone, upon leaving for college I was promised my parents 98 Sage Green GLE. Now from reading at the .org I get the impression that the GLE's are much slower than the SE's and the Max in general can never get really fast without a lot of green. Do you guys think its a better idea for someone in my position to go for the big rims, stereo system type of car, or just spend all money on performance mods and try to match the 5-speeds?

Unrelated question: Has anyone here ever heard of someone ripping out all the seats in their max except for the driver's seat to minimize weight and thus increase acceleration? Just a thought, thanks!
Old 01-28-2002, 07:46 PM

Re: Phat or Fast???

Originally posted by LimitLimit10
Hey everyone, upon leaving for college I was promised my parents 98 Sage Green GLE. Now from reading at the .org I get the impression that the GLE's are much slower than the SE's and the Max in general can never get really fast without a lot of green. Do you guys think its a better idea for someone in my position to go for the big rims, stereo system type of car, or just spend all money on performance mods and try to match the 5-speeds?

Unrelated question: Has anyone here ever heard of someone ripping out all the seats in their max except for the driver's seat to minimize weight and thus increase acceleration? Just a thought, thanks!
Personaly I go for performance, cause I dont like riceboys with all show no go, but thats me, well and my dad TMS, anyway Ripping out seats are a waste, cause you wont beable to carry anybody, and I believe that it is a waste, and the gain do not out weight the cons.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its all up to you and what you really want, but remember a 5-speed with the same amount of mods will be always be 1 second faster If I had an auto given to me, I would put fat rims on it and get a few mods...there are fast auto's on this board

Yea it will make a difference but who wants no seats unless you go to the track every damn day and want to race up every street you go down.

Old 01-28-2002, 07:50 PM

Its all up to you and what you really want, but remember a 5-speed with the same amount of mods will be always be 1 second faster If I had an auto given to me, I would put fat rims on it and get a few mods...there are fast auto's on this board

Should have been up top
Old 01-28-2002, 07:50 PM

your car is not a lot slower than the SE or GXE. It may weight just a little more, the real thing that slows you is the auto tranny. There is no reason that you still can't go for performance, there is a lot you can do.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:52 PM

I heard somewhere that an Auto may work better with a turbo than a manual. Is this true? I know there is no turbo for the Max YET, but assuming there was and assuming I had the money to buy one, is this true?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:54 PM

I heard somewhere that an Auto may work better with a turbo than a manual. Is this true? I know there is no turbo for the Max YET, but assuming there was and assuming I had the money to buy one, is this true?

HHHMM the only way I can see this being true is because the tourqe converter would keep it about 2000RPM's making less wheelspin got the holeshot.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i agree with the all show no go thing, like when u see a decked out civic then see the pee shooter coming out back, thts why i made a list for myself so i wouldnt fall into that which is so hard to do....
im doing all my performance stuff first, which u can see in my sig, then im doing all the suspension stuff which will be fun(lowering, sway bars, strut bars, etc ), then around summer time is when all the cosmetic stuff begins, dash kits, body kits etc, that way ill always have the go... so thats what i feel, supe it up, be that sleeper.. cuz honestly its all about priority, and performance is the top of my list, i didnt wanna spend money on random things, just focuz on each category at a time so u get the best bang for the buck and not looking at intakes then looking at altezzas the next second
Old 01-28-2002, 08:03 PM

Why is this page so much bigger?

anybody else notice that?
Old 01-28-2002, 08:11 PM

Don't ditch your seats! Where would you put all the girls you're gonna attract with your fine new ride? Really, it just depends on your priorities. I personally chose to start with just a few key appearance mods, cuz when I was all stock, no one wanted to race my four door mid-size family sedan. And she's pretty quick straight out of the factory. Now that I can get people's attention, I am saving my money to buy the stuff to make her really haul.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:16 PM

Well then the whole issue of wheel size comes up. I know it has been discussed, but 17 seem to equal better performance than 18's, but I really like how 18's look on a max. I mean 17's are better than the stock GLE 15 but still. If you had the same exact mods on a max with 17's or 18's, would the difference in acceleration be noticeable? Top end speed? Breaking?

P.S. Sorry about all the questions, but I'm new to all this fun stuff.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:20 PM

Well then the whole issue of wheel size comes up. I know it has been discussed, but 17 seem to equal better performance than 18's, but I really like how 18's look on a max. I mean 17's are better than the stock GLE 15 but still. If you had the same exact mods on a max with 17's or 18's, would the difference in acceleration be noticeable? Top end speed? Breaking?

P.S. Sorry about all the questions, but I'm new to all this fun stuff.
YES, if you want the 18 look, go for some sprint springs to go with your 17's
Old 01-28-2002, 08:23 PM

I live in Chicago. Is lowering my max going to cause any damage?
Old 01-28-2002, 08:26 PM

I live in Chicago. Is lowering my max going to cause any damage?

Lots of potholes? well unless they are huge no, just get some aftermarket shocks with the springs. And be careful.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:28 PM

No its not that, its the snow. Is the snow/salt going to do anything to a now lower car bottom?
Old 01-28-2002, 08:36 PM

No its not that, its the snow. Is the snow/salt going to do anything to a now lower car bottom?
well it will make it easier to hit snow if its lower
Old 01-29-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95

well it will make it easier to hit snow if its lower
And rusty! This is why I live in florida
Old 01-29-2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu Jr.

This is why I live in florida
...and I in Texas
Old 01-29-2002, 12:27 PM

... and I live in Massachus - oh crap.

SuDZ
Old 01-29-2002, 12:29 PM

i say do a little of both. no matter what, you will never match up with a 5spd evenly given the same mods. a 5spd with less mods still could beat an auto with more mods. if i could do it over again, i would definitely get a 5spd. having said that, an automagic maxima isn't slow by any means. that's why i said to do a little of both. that's how it is for me. i know i am not slow, but i also have to realize i am not exactly fast either. it's ok though, in a year or so, i'm going to get myself a supratt.