4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Opinions? Blew my engine threw a rod.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 03:22 PM

Opinions? Blew my engine threw a rod.

It's been about a month or so. Driving on the i10, smoke everywhere and lots of rattling, but was able to coast to shoulder during rush hour. Got it home, big hole in the bottom of the engine, found the rod in the oil pan😭.

Got another car, 2014 sentra, and towed my 97 maxima to my parents house (different city about 3 hours away). Im not too sure what to do with it. I see a few options, thought I would post to the org and hear out some opinions. Side note my dad has a car lift in his garage.

Ive had it for 10 years, it was my first car. It was a manual and fun as hell to drive.

1. Try and get a new engine installed. There is actually a few parts to this. The negative Is its an old car so other engines are also old, but would that matter since I would be overhauling with new internal parts? I haven't looked too hard into it but have seen some ebay motors about $700 ish shipped. I would just have to strip it and put in new internals. A sub option, I found a max that is in rough shape ~$700, I could pull that motor and again new engine components and such. Ohfff this option would be alot of work, and would start to add up huh$$$.

2. Try to sell it as is. I probably wouldnt get much for it huh?

3. Try and part it out. Do you think there is much value in trying to part these cars out anymore? Is anyone parting out a max rn and how is it going?

I would like to hear opinions and other options if you see any.

Ps. Take care of your cars. It was completely my fault for why it blew up. Got a contract that was 20 miles away and needed to show up at the office a few days that week. Still had a misfire that i needed to take care of, but the car seemed to be running fine. Obviously that cylinder was dragging behind, and the connecting rod finally gave out and boom.💥💥

Old 04-19-2023, 09:18 PM

Just toss a used engine in it, if you can get a lower mileage used engine that has been compression tested and has results etc you wouldn't have to necessarily rebuild it, just toss it in
Old 04-20-2023, 01:15 PM
JvG

Our engines last longer than our cars.

So I would find a donor engine which has good compression. I would replace its water pump and also replace its injectors and do other top of engine preventative maintenance. It's much easier to do that on an engine stand rather than in the car.

Then I would install the donor engine and enjoy driving my Maxima .
Old 04-20-2023, 04:37 PM

Another engine. Either from a local service yard or pick n pull, install new gaskets and maintenance items, but no aftermarket injectors .
Old 04-21-2023, 09:51 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Another engine. Either from a local service yard or pick n pull, install new gaskets and maintenance items, but no aftermarket injectors .
Thank you.

Yes, I should have mentioned that several companies can rebuild our oem injectors. I had mine rebuilt .
Old 04-21-2023, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Majority rule haha, I'll be sourcing an engine and get it in the maxima.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_
Majority rule haha, I'll be sourcing an engine and get it in the maxima.
As they all have said, definitely worth throwing another engine in it. Mine is at 405k miles rn on the original injectors so stick to oem on those.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good choice!!! Post pictures of the engine swap.